Old 13-05-2009, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default could someone name these, please?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:35:17 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2009 11:59:49 +0200, bob wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

I recognise this but don't know its name. Isn't it some form of
lonicera? It doesn't flower and is very boring!

Quite! - otoh it's one of the few things in my garden that doesn't
threaten everything else with extinction.

Pam in Bristol

Old 13-05-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Yes - well I did!

Thanks

Old 13-05-2009, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-13 11:38:18 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Yes. The modern hybrids seem to be taller.

Oh? I have always had 'montbretia' in my garden because it reminds me of my
beloved uncle and aunt

Perhaps when I have my next garden, I will have to get one of the new ones.
Is the difference just in the height?

Old 13-05-2009, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes
gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Montbretia is one type of Crocosmia, at least in my usage.

Ahh, interesting. So, could one ask for Montbretia and get the correct
type?

Old 13-05-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes
gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Montbretia is one type of Crocosmia, at least in my usage.

Ahh, interesting. So, could one ask for Montbretia and get the correct
type?

Maybe.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 13-05-2009, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-13 11:38:18 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Yes. The modern hybrids seem to be taller.

Oh? I have always had 'montbretia' in my garden because it reminds me of my
beloved uncle and aunt

Perhaps when I have my next garden, I will have to get one of the new ones.
Is the difference just in the height?

There's a tremendous colour range in Crocosmias so it's worth Googling
around a bit to see which colours you like best. This person is
obviously a great lover of the plant!
http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 13-05-2009, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:57:15 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

Ivy-leaved toadflax aka Kenilworth ivy (Cymbalaria muralis)

Interesting that we've had two "common" or local names for what I've
only ever known as ivy-leaved-toadflax; Keniworth ivy (SRH sbove) and
snapdragon (Sacha). The latter name I've only known applied to the
ordinary "bedding" antirrhinum. Here's where Latin names come into
their own.

Don't get rid of it unless what you prefer is bare walls. It's an
attractive little plant.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-05-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

Ivy-leaved toadflax aka Kenilworth ivy (Cymbalaria muralis)

Interesting that we've had two "common" or local names for what I've
only ever known as ivy-leaved-toadflax; Keniworth ivy (SRH sbove) and
snapdragon (Sacha). The latter name I've only known applied to the
ordinary "bedding" antirrhinum. Here's where Latin names come into
their own.

Don't get rid of it unless what you prefer is bare walls. It's an
attractive little plant.

Pam in Bristol

I'd add Erigeron karvinskianus to give it company. ;-)

Old 13-05-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:08:32 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Don't get rid of it unless what you prefer is bare walls. It's an
attractive little plant.

Pam in Bristol

I'll certainly keep it. I was pleased to hear it's not unmanageable.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:03:51 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' highly invasive irradicate while you still
can

This really alarmed me so I've done as you suggested. It appears to
grow like lily of the valley on an array of connective spaghetti. I
did my best to pull the network out but I know there must be quite a
bit left probably round roots of neighbouring shrubs etc.

I suppose it could re-appear but, if re-attacked, with a diminished
presence each spring?

Old 13-05-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

Ivy-leaved toadflax aka Kenilworth ivy (Cymbalaria muralis)

Interesting that we've had two "common" or local names for what I've
only ever known as ivy-leaved-toadflax; Keniworth ivy (SRH sbove) and
snapdragon (Sacha). The latter name I've only known applied to the
ordinary "bedding" antirrhinum. Here's where Latin names come into
their own.

Don't get rid of it unless what you prefer is bare walls. It's an
attractive little plant.

Pam in Bristol

I'd add Erigeron karvinskianus to give it company. ;-)

Agreed. That would look good. However, for me it only ever grows where
it wants too, not where I put it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-05-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
There's a tremendous colour range in Crocosmias so it's worth Googling
around a bit to see which colours you like best. This person is
obviously a great lover of the plant!
http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/

Goodness me! Thank you!

Old 13-05-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' highly invasive irradicate while you still
can

This really alarmed me so I've done as you suggested. It appears to
grow like lily of the valley on an array of connective spaghetti. I
did my best to pull the network out but I know there must be quite a
bit left probably round roots of neighbouring shrubs etc.

I suppose it could re-appear but, if re-attacked, with a diminished
presence each spring?

Unless you really hate it, just keep it under control. Watch that
Vinca, though....... ;-))

Old 13-05-2009, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

Ivy-leaved toadflax aka Kenilworth ivy (Cymbalaria muralis)

Interesting that we've had two "common" or local names for what I've
only ever known as ivy-leaved-toadflax; Keniworth ivy (SRH sbove) and
snapdragon (Sacha). The latter name I've only known applied to the
ordinary "bedding" antirrhinum. Here's where Latin names come into
their own.

Don't get rid of it unless what you prefer is bare walls. It's an
attractive little plant.

Pam in Bristol

I'd add Erigeron karvinskianus to give it company. ;-)

Agreed. That would look good. However, for me it only ever grows where
it wants too, not where I put it!

Pam in Bristol

That's its charm, IMO. There's a wall on the way into Ashburton which
is absolutely smothered with it and then there's an abrupt halt to it,
as if someone had drawn a 'thou shalt not go there' border. An Italian
used to carry seeds of it in his pocket. He had a fabulous garden and
when asked his favourite plant, that was it. So when he visited
others' gardens, he'd take a few seeds from his pocket, mix them with a
little soil and poke this into a crevice here and there. Many gardens
benefited from his devotion! ;-)

Old 13-05-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

That's its charm, IMO. There's a wall on the way into Ashburton which
is absolutely smothered with it and then there's an abrupt halt to it,
as if someone had drawn a 'thou shalt not go there' border. An Italian
used to carry seeds of it in his pocket. He had a fabulous garden and
when asked his favourite plant, that was it. So when he visited
others' gardens, he'd take a few seeds from his pocket, mix them with a
little soil and poke this into a crevice here and there. Many gardens
benefited from his devotion! ;-)

Ah, shades of Miss Wilmot's Ghost.

--
Robert