Old 14-05-2009, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default could someone name these, please?

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Judith in France writes
I have had Cotoneaster but I don't rate it as one of my favourites.

There's several Cotoneaster species.

More like several hundred Cotoneaster species.

I was talking as a gardener ;-)
There's not that many readily available.
--
Kay
Old 14-05-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 9:06*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

I have had Cotoneaster but I don't rate it as one of my favourites.

There's several Cotoneaster species.

When you look at their characteristics - easy to grow, *flowers in
spring in abundance, followed by equally abundant *berries, it seems a
bit unfair not to like it. Maybe it's because it's all too easy for a
tiny C horizontalis to turn your entire garden into a monoculture?
--
Kay

I based my opinion on the C. horizontalis. I still am not a lover of
them although, maybe I should Google for other species? Any one in
particular that you consider beautiful Kay?

Judith
Old 14-05-2009, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-14 12:01:40 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On May 14, 9:06*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

I have had Cotoneaster but I don't rate it as one of my favourites.

There's several Cotoneaster species.

When you look at their characteristics - easy to grow, *flowers in
spring in abundance, followed by equally abundant *berries, it seems a
bit unfair not to like it. Maybe it's because it's all too easy for a
tiny C horizontalis to turn your entire garden into a monoculture?
--
Kay

I based my opinion on the C. horizontalis. I still am not a lover of
them although, maybe I should Google for other species? Any one in
particular that you consider beautiful Kay?

Judith

I like C. waterii which now I come to think of it, could well be the
one I've seen at Dartington.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 14-05-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-14 09:53:03 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-05-13 22:55:34 +0100, "Angela" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
| On 2009-05-13 19:55:48 +0100, "Angela" said:
|
| First one looks like Lonicera pileata which is great for hedging, it's
like
| Box but much quicker growing. No idea of the second and the third is
| definitely Solomon's Seal (just paid £10 for one!!)
|
| I'm going to get over my faint at those prices and ask if anyone can
| help me with a query about Solomon's Seal. I'm used to seeing it grow
| here to around 2' to 3' in length but I clearly remember seeing it in a
| Jersey garden with longer stems. I mean probably 4' minimum. I used
| to cutit to use in great big pedestal arrangements in church and it was
| a stunning sight. There seems to be some dispute/discussion as to
| whether these are all the same plant. Can anyone here enlighten me as
| to the differences, if there are any? Or is it all down to conditions
| and habitat?
| --
| --
| Sacha
| www.hillhousenursery.com
| Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
| South Devon

Mine is big, just went out and measured it - 89cm (35 inches). Label says
Height 1.2m. The label says it's Polygonatum x hybridum. I Googles and
there is another called Polygonatum commutatum which is 2-3ft, and
Polygonatum multiflorum at 3ft, so maybe there are different types

Could be, though I've read elsewhere on Google that some claim that
they're all the same.

FWIW, all three have articles in Wikipeda.

Thanks, I'll have a look though it's not a source I usually trust!

Old 14-05-2009, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On May 14, 9:06*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

I have had Cotoneaster but I don't rate it as one of my favourites.

There's several Cotoneaster species.

When you look at their characteristics - easy to grow, *flowers in
spring in abundance, followed by equally abundant *berries, it seems a
bit unfair not to like it. Maybe it's because it's all too easy for a
tiny C horizontalis to turn your entire garden into a monoculture?
--
Kay

I based my opinion on the C. horizontalis. I still am not a lover of
them although, maybe I should Google for other species? Any one in
particular that you consider beautiful Kay?

I don't know any of the other ones :-)

--
Kay

Old 14-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob[_1_] View Post

On 2009-05-13 20:25:38 +0100, bob said:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg

From the tiny images I've checked on the web the Lonicera suggestions
seem most likely. I don't remember seeing any flowers or berries
though, this year or last.

It also reminds me of cotoneaster.

Anyway, no problem. The plant is well behaved, inoffensive and
growing happily in the 100% shade afforded by my japanese anenome.

Perhaps you could take some photos of it when and if it does flower?

Will do.
it is in fact lonicera pileata . grows rapidly and if cut and encouraged ,makes good medium for topiary . think of it like poor mans box. use as an infill as im doing on our site ..tollerates most places and soils iv encountered . cuttings very easy
Old 14-05-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Judith in France writes
I have had Cotoneaster but I don't rate it as one of my favourites.

There's several Cotoneaster species.

More like several hundred Cotoneaster species.

I was talking as a gardener ;-)
There's not that many readily available.

PlantF

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 14-05-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Judith in France writes
I have had Cotoneaster but I don't rate it as one of my favourites.

There's several Cotoneaster species.

More like several hundred Cotoneaster species.

I was talking as a gardener ;-)
There's not that many readily available.

PlantF

??

Sorry; I was going to post a mention of PlantFinder, which might have
100 Cotoneaster species currently available, but thought better of it.
It looks as if a post fragment has accidentally escaped into the wild.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-05-2009, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

There's several Cotoneaster species.

More like several hundred Cotoneaster species.

I was talking as a gardener ;-)
There's not that many readily available.

PlantF

??

Sorry; I was going to post a mention of PlantFinder, which might have
100 Cotoneaster species currently available, but thought better of it.
It looks as if a post fragment has accidentally escaped into the wild.

Ah, but the whole point of Plantfinder is that the species in it aren't
readily available (otherwise you wouldn't be looking in Plantfinder) ;-)

--
Kay