Old 13-05-2009, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default could someone name these, please?

First one looks like Lonicera pileata which is great for hedging, it's like
Box but much quicker growing. No idea of the second and the third is
definitely Solomon's Seal (just paid £10 for one!!)

Old 13-05-2009, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 6:18*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
There's a tremendous colour range in Crocosmias so it's worth Googling
around a bit to see which colours you like best. *This person is
obviously a great lover of the plant!
http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/

Goodness me! Thank you!

I have a lot of C. Lucifer, I sent some to Pete and others on this
group, if you would like some, I have loads?
Judith
Old 13-05-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message ,
writes
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

My first thought was privet, but your description doesn't agree. Maybe
privet honeysuckle (Lonicera pileata).

Yes, I think so. Others have suggested cotoneaster, but the leaves don't
look quite right (are Cotoneaster leaves opposite?).

It does flower, but the flowers are very small and greenish yellow on
the underside of the branches, so I can understand why one poster says
it doesn't flower.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg
?

Looks like a willow-herb (Epilobium), but I'm not completely sure.

I don't like those extra tufts of 'leaves' in the leaf axils - not seen
that on an Epilobium. Sacha suggested Lysimachia (yellow loosestrife),
and it looks more like that, but I think it's probably Lythrum (purple
loosestrife). Without going outside to check, it's looking very much
like mine is at the moment.

--
Kay
Old 13-05-2009, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg

From the tiny images I've checked on the web the Lonicera suggestions
seem most likely. I don't remember seeing any flowers or berries
though, this year or last.

It also reminds me of cotoneaster.

Anyway, no problem. The plant is well behaved, inoffensive and
growing happily in the 100% shade afforded by my japanese anenome.
Old 13-05-2009, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-13 16:49:05 +0100, bob said:

On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:03:51 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' highly invasive irradicate while you still
can

This really alarmed me so I've done as you suggested. It appears to
grow like lily of the valley on an array of connective spaghetti. I
did my best to pull the network out but I know there must be quite a
bit left probably round roots of neighbouring shrubs etc.

I suppose it could re-appear but, if re-attacked, with a diminished
presence each spring?

Unless you really hate it, just keep it under control. Watch that
Vinca, though....... ;-))

You know what? I'm going to remove the vinca as well. That's 2 pots
@ £7.99 down the drain. A lesson learnt.

Old 13-05-2009, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bob wrote:

You know what? I'm going to remove the vinca as well. That's 2 pots
@ £7.99 down the drain. A lesson learnt.

Eight quid for Vinca? That's outrageous! There just isn't anything
that's easier to propagate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 May, 20:41, bob wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 20:37:33 +0100 (BST), wrote:
In article , *bob wrote:

You know what? *I'm going to remove the vinca as well. *That's 2 pots
@ £7.99 down the drain. * A lesson learnt.

Eight quid for Vinca? *That's outrageous! *There just isn't anything
that's easier to propagate.

too right! - that's another lesson I learnt.

It was in a very big pot though. *And I bought 2 of them * *:-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.- Hide quoted text -

Where did I miss Vinca?
I think it's a great plant in the right place, especialy the
variegated forms.
I just wish I could get Lily of the Valey to grow like it.
David Hill
Old 13-05-2009, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , lid
writes

wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' highly invasive irradicate while you still
can

This really alarmed me so I've done as you suggested. It appears to
grow like lily of the valley on an array of connective spaghetti. I
did my best to pull the network out but I know there must be quite a
bit left probably round roots of neighbouring shrubs etc.

I suppose it could re-appear but, if re-attacked, with a diminished
presence each spring?

Unless you really hate it, just keep it under control. Watch that
Vinca, though....... ;-))

You know what? I'm going to remove the vinca as well. That's 2 pots
@ £7.99 down the drain. A lesson learnt.

Unless I've gotten confused, I don't think that you have Vinca minor
alba; there have been three or four identifications of your first
photograph as Lonicera (pileata or nitida). Vinca minor alba has a
creeping habit, while your photograph appears to show a stiff-branched
plant. (If you paid £7.99 for pots how is it that you need
identifications?)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-05-2009, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
[...]

I was a little bothered by the beginnings of side-shoots as well, but I
was out pruning the dead wood out of a Lavatera this afternoon, and
there was a willow-herb underneath it looking just like the photograph.
Willow-herbs do branch sometimes, when growing in less harsh conditions.
(As colour and texture tend to be distorted in photographs jizz can lead
you - or me - astray when identifying plants from photographs.)

Willow-herbs are easily uprooted, so there would be no great harm
waiting to see what it flowers as.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 13-05-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 May 2009 21:02:01 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

Unless I've gotten confused, I don't think that you have Vinca minor
alba; there have been three or four identifications of your first
photograph as Lonicera (pileata or nitida). Vinca minor alba has a
creeping habit, while your photograph appears to show a stiff-branched
plant. (If you paid £7.99 for pots how is it that you need
identifications?)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Apologies - I think a couple of threads got fuddled.

In a separate thread where I sought out some ideas for new planting, I
mentioned to Sacha that I'd purchased and planted a pot of vinca
minor. Of course, that doesn't need any ID.

In this thread, vinca was one of the suggestions amongst others -
mainly lonicera - for pic5 but when Sacha advised being wary of the
vinca, and I said I was inclined to get rid of that too, it was the
known vinca I was referring to, not the plant in pic5.

Old 13-05-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , lid
writes
wrote:

[...]

I haven't found Vinca minor too bad. I bought about half-a-dozen
varieties a few years back, which I'm growing in a small trough. They've
managed to colonise a little ground under a Perovskia and a Paeonia, but
they're not a problem here.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-05-2009, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' highly invasive irradicate while you still
can

This really alarmed me so I've done as you suggested. It appears to
grow like lily of the valley on an array of connective spaghetti. I
did my best to pull the network out but I know there must be quite a
bit left probably round roots of neighbouring shrubs etc.

I suppose it could re-appear but, if re-attacked, with a diminished
presence each spring?

Unless you really hate it, just keep it under control. Watch that
Vinca, though....... ;-))

You know what? I'm going to remove the vinca as well. That's 2 pots
@ £7.99 down the drain. A lesson learnt.

I don't think you need to remove it. I'm a bit worried you're on a
slash and burn mission. ;-)) Just keep an eye on it. Someone/s
planted various types all over this garden and it's gone mad over very
many years but we do keep it hacked back and yank it out in handfuls.
But here's we're talking of a large garden that's 150 years old and
we're not actually buried in the stuff yet! I wouldn't be without it.
Vinca flore plena and Vinca oxyloba, for example, are just lovely.
Simply pull out any you don't want and keep it where you do want it.
But I'm still gasping at nearly £8 for pots of Vinca - but that's
another matter! At that price, treat it like a precious orchid and
cherish it - don't get shot of it, really.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 13-05-2009, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , *bob wrote:

You know what? *I'm going to remove the vinca as well. *That's 2 po

ts
@ £7.99 down the drain. * A lesson learnt.

Eight quid for Vinca? *That's outrageous! *There just isn't anything
that's easier to propagate.

too right! - that's another lesson I learnt.

It was in a very big pot though. *And I bought 2 of them * *:-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.- Hide quoted text -

Where did I miss Vinca?
I think it's a great plant in the right place, especialy the
variegated forms.
I just wish I could get Lily of the Valey to grow like it.
David Hill

Trouble maker. ;-)) I have found two - count them - two LotV
flowering in this garden where dozens have been planted at various
times. If these two don't get on the march and do a take over bid like
those Vinca, I'm going to be very upset.

Old 13-05-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-13 19:53:50 +0100, robert said:

In message , Sacha
writes

That's its charm, IMO. There's a wall on the way into Ashburton which
is absolutely smothered with it and then there's an abrupt halt to it,
as if someone had drawn a 'thou shalt not go there' border. An Italian
used to carry seeds of it in his pocket. He had a fabulous garden and
when asked his favourite plant, that was it. So when he visited
others' gardens, he'd take a few seeds from his pocket, mix them with a
little soil and poke this into a crevice here and there. Many gardens
benefited from his devotion! ;-)

Ah, shades of Miss Wilmot's Ghost.

Ver much the same. I wish I could remember his name but this rather
charming, if slightly bossy, habit of his was written about in some
gardening book/s. Prince Someone, Count Someone - don't recall.
However, I do admit I share his love of this unassuming and generous
little plant which establishes itself just as it wishes, rather like
valerian, which ignores us altogether!