Old 16-05-2009, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default urg FAQs

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-05-16 17:38:26 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 June Hughes wrote:

OTOH, I could do one on growing figs because someone here gave me
good advice about five years ago when I acquired a fig tree and I
have had a modicum of success with it but I don't think many people
would be interested in growing figs. In any case, there isn't a
great deal to say about them once the tree is established.

I would be interested. I have a fig tree which may or may not have
fruit - and I'd like to know what to do to get the best out of it. It
produces lots and lots of embryo figs but, often, few get to maturity.
David

I wonder if figs suffer from a seasonal 'drop' as apple trees do? Anyone know?

I haven't noticed it with my tree but it is only a few years old. My
neighbours' trees are next to the path and I never notice any fallen
fruit.
--
June Hughes
Old 16-05-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes
On May 16, 5:01*pm, June Hughes
wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes

On 2009-05-16 15:27:00 +0100, David Rance
said:

Sorry, I missed a bit:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 *K wrote:

But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely.
After *all, it was always something which the membership of this
group *contributed to and was a way of making their experience more
permanent *while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same
questions time after *time.
*It never worked, though ;-) We were still besieged by people
wanting us *to sit down and pen instant answers because they were
unwilling to do *an elementary search.
*That's a little unfair. "Besieged" is a little bit of hyperbole and
I'm *sure they didn't expect *instant* answers. And you don't know how
many people did consult those pages without bothering us. Come on, I
thought *gardeners were optimistic people! :-)
*If I didn't think it was worthwhile I wouldn't have spent hours this
week tracking these missing FAQs down and then formatting them. And I
have been a reader here for around thirteen years and have valued them
myself. (And my welcome to this group when I wrote my first message
back in 1996 was that two people violently disagreed with my views on
the growing of mistletoe, both of whom still write here and one of
whom called me an idiot!)

And David Rance wrote:

And they all work now.
*I meant, all the links work now!
*Best wishes, David

It occurs to me that we could do with a FAQ on growing tomatoes and
cucumbers because I've noticed that we seem to have a lot more people
doing that now and coming to urg for advice. *Several *of our more
experienced gardeners are old hands at this so perhaps one of them
would like to write a tomato and cucumber FAQ? * And perhaps we need
one on growing e.g. squashes? *What does the team think? *;-))

Well, Sacha, I haven't posted here for several years although I have
lurked occasionally. *If I had enough gardening knowledge, I would
happily write an FAQ about something but I don't think I am qualified to
do so.

OTOH, I could do one on growing figs because someone here gave me good
advice about five years ago when I acquired a fig tree and I have had a
modicum of success with it but I don't think many people would be
interested in growing figs. *In any case, there isn't a great deal to
say about them once the tree is established.
--
June Hughes

I would be interested in you wrote a FAQ on figs, I would like one on
a S.E. aspect with vicious winters so I don't know how that would
fare?

Judith

Our winters are very mild in north London, so I don't do anything to
protect mine. If it were to be extremely cold, I think I would be
tempted to wrap it in fleece. There used to be several people here who
grew figs when I got my tree several years ago. Perhaps they will see
your post and be able to advise.
--
June Hughes

Old 16-05-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

June Hughes writes

Well, David, I am no expert but was told here in urg not to let the
roots spread, so have it in a huge pot where it can get lots of sun.
(I am not now sure this is correct as my neighbours are Greek Cypriots
and their two fig trees are planted in the ground without restricting
the roots, producing many figs. We also stayed with a Cypriot man in
Bath a couple of years ago and he too had his fig tree in the ground
without restricting the roots. Its figs were huge but he had it under a
canopy of corrugated plastic.)

I think it's because the tree will grow leaves at the expense of fruit
if it's unrestricted in a rich soil. In the Med, the soil is often
pretty poor, so that acts in the same way as restricting the roots. And,
of course, they can get huge. At a previous house, our neighbour had a
huge fig on the boundary which was unrestrited - gave us plenty of figs.
My current main fig used to be in the ground, and cropped well, but I
needed to move it when we replaced the porch, and we've now confined it
with a few buried paving slabs. I won't comment on the size of this
year's crop - I usually pretend not to see fruit until they've ripened -
bit like never filling the jamjar till you've caught the first
stickleback.

I feed mine with seaweed every so often, as instructed by the man from
whom I bought it. At the end of each summer, there are little nodules
on the branches and these are the figs of next year.

There's two crops a year. The ones that are match-head sized over winter
are the crop that ripe Aug-Sept, the ones that appear after that and are
larger in the autumn are the spring crop, but they never ripen in the
UK, and are the ones to be removed. It seems to me that this crop is
always bigger than the summer crop - over a hundred compared to about 30
for example.

Any larger figs that have not ripened, I remove. The figs grow until
ripe in early to mid- August, when you have to pick them pretty
sharpish or the wasps will beat you to it. The tree needs to be kept
well-watered once it is established and seems to grow an inch or two
each year.

Ah - that explains why you confine them! Mine was growing about 8 inches
a year n the ground!

Figs in the wild have very long roots. We were in a cave and scrambled
up into a cavern about 15 ft high which was festooned top to bottom with
what at first sight seemed to be electric cables but which on closer
inspection were tree roots. We think they were from a fig tree higher on
the hillside.

Often things which one thinks of as tolerating dry areas do in fact have
long roots allowing them to tap into water deep down - agaves for
example

Figs are very easy to increase by air layering.
--
Kay
Old 16-05-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes

I would be interested in you wrote a FAQ on figs, I would like one on
a S.E. aspect with vicious winters so I don't know how that would
fare?

Reads Nursery website has useful information on figs. They sell a great
many varieties
--
Kay

Old 16-05-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On May 16, 6:07 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message
news:26a5a514-6113-4f51-a1d8-I second that, thanks David. I don't mind if
you delete me from the
urg meets; some on another group took a look and posted on my
appearance, so maybe, you should delete them?

Indeed! I have had plenty of that!!! How rude!

I take it where it came from. After all those pics didn't show me as
a beautiful young woman; a woman of taste, a woman of ... sorry got
carried away then. I went to Kay's in my work clothes, straight from
work on the train; I had specs on as my poor eyes had been diagnosed
with a partially detached something (aqueas) retina. Who cares what I
look like, in fact I shall post a pic here so you can see exactly what
I look like and to hell if you don't like it:-) p.s. I have lost 7
lbs since I got Lottie, we enjoy our walks.

So where may I view these pics, please

Old 16-05-2009, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Ahhh I have seen them now. How lovely to meet up and have such momorable
times together.
It is so nice to put faces to names too!

I dub you all, a lovely friendly looking crowd!

Old 16-05-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-15 16:24:53 +0100, David Rance
said:

Has anyone noticed that most of the missing FAQs are now back on the urg
web site?

David

Well done, David! Lots of hard work and hours of 'fun' - thank you for
taking on the task of restoring a valuable resource.

To all urglers, I would like to say that Cormaic told me he would be
extremely happy to have someone else take this over. I asked one or a
few people who might have been able to do it and David stepped up and
offered his time, expertise and skills. Another urgler also offered help
and may wish for now to remain nameless but it seems to me that urg is
extremely lucky - as are other gardeners who read this group - to see the
FAQs back in action. I think urg owes David a big thank you.

I don't suppose David knows who I am from Adam, but I would like to send him
a BIG thank you for all his hard work. I can assure you I shall be making
very good use of it

Thank you, David!

Ophelia.

Old 16-05-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 7:25*pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

I would be interested in you wrote a FAQ on figs, I would like one on
a S.E. *aspect with vicious winters so I don't know how that would
fare?

Reads Nursery website has useful information on figs. They sell a great
many varieties
--
Kay

Is that Reads of Norfolk Kay, I have visited them.

Judith
Old 16-05-2009, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 9:57*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

I stayed at Kay's home, with her family, such a lovely family. Do you
know O, although I have made so many mistakes, in reality and on
usenet. I want to move forward. I want to welcome one and all on
urg and I welcome all who can advise me on so many matters relating to
my garden and my chickens, my Lottie (my dog). She is in my bad
books, I took her to lock up the chickens tonight; I kissed her
goodnight when she was in her bed - oh big mistake - big time - I am
washing my face; cleaning my teeth, washed my hands until they are
raw. She is having a shampoo tomorrow. When we go to put the
chickens back in, she is on a lead, phew!!! Big time phew. :-)

Judith

Old 16-05-2009, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 10:29*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:42:25 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 16, 6:36*pm, Judith in France
wrote:
[...]

p.s. *Should I hold up a newspaper showing today's date? *LOL

Are you being held to ransom in a foreign land?
--

Martin

Maybe sweetie; usenet can be cruel.

Judith
Old 17-05-2009, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 June Hughes wrote:

OTOH, I could do one on growing figs because someone here gave me good
advice about five years ago when I acquired a fig tree and I have had
a modicum of success with it but I don't think many people would be
interested in growing figs. In any case, there isn't a great deal to
say about them once the tree is established.

I would be interested. I have a fig tree which may or may not have
fruit - and I'd like to know what to do to get the best out of it. It
produces lots and lots of embryo figs but, often, few get to maturity.

David

I have just received an email from Thompson and Morgan saying they have
a brown turkey fig in a 4 litre pot (not very big) on offer for 16.99
GBP

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...dww3594/1.html
--
June Hughes

Old 17-05-2009, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

I stayed at Kay's home, with her family, such a lovely family. Do you
know O, although I have made so many mistakes, in reality and on
usenet.

Aye well, let him/her who is without sin.....

I want to move forward. I want to welcome one and all on
urg and I welcome all who can advise me on so many matters relating to
my garden and my chickens, my Lottie (my dog). She is in my bad
books, I took her to lock up the chickens tonight; I kissed her
goodnight when she was in her bed - oh big mistake - big time - I am
washing my face; cleaning my teeth, washed my hands until they are
raw. She is having a shampoo tomorrow. When we go to put the
chickens back in, she is on a lead, phew!!! Big time phew. :-)

We adore my Blue too When David, baths Blue, it is usually in the
shower, but since the weather was so nice, I bought her a paddling pool
She is half dog, half fish and will happily swim in the coldest river. You
would not have seen a sadder speciman than my Blue, shivering and grumbling
in that paddling pool

Now, to gardening (If is can be called gardening) My basket of
tomatoes is sitting in a box, atop a piece of polystyrene to allow drainage!
When it is cold or at night, it lives in the car. The plants are looking
very perky I shall be inspecting it for flowers today and will have my
tomato feed at the ready, as per the excellent instructions I have received
here)

If you are very unlucky.. I shall report back)

Old 17-05-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

June Hughes writes

I have just received an email from Thompson and Morgan saying they have
a brown turkey fig in a 4 litre pot (not very big) on offer for 16.99
GBP

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...dww3594/1.html

Probably worth shopping around:

http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/acatalog/Figs.html
--
Kay
Old 17-05-2009, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On May 16, 7:25*pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

I would be interested in you wrote a FAQ on figs, I would like one on
a S.E. *aspect with vicious winters so I don't know how that would
fare?

Reads Nursery website has useful information on figs. They sell a great
many varieties
--

Is that Reads of Norfolk Kay, I have visited them.

Yews. I've posted the link in another post. They've go a good set of
cultivation notes too - probably covers everything we'd put in a FAQ!
--
Kay

FAQs Pam Moore United Kingdom 43 19-05-2004 06:15 PM
FAQs re cats-can't find [email protected] United Kingdom 93 23-03-2004 05:34 PM
FAQs - Listing cormaic United Kingdom 3 03-02-2003 08:42 PM
Get yer FAQs 'ere - FAQ list for this group cormaic United Kingdom 0 18-01-2003 05:01 PM
Cats or FAQs? Jim United Kingdom 3 06-01-2003 07:10 PM