Old 27-06-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pigeon Deterrent

They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

Old 27-06-2009, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

I would suggest netting them, that is the only solution I have found to
work, including shooting the varmints!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 27-06-2009, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

Garden netting. Works a treat. I have a problem with wood pigeons eating
all my brassicas. They tend to prefer to eat them when only a few inches
high and can strip several plants down to their ribs in one sitting.
Just get some garden netting (approx 1 cm size holes) and drape it over
the greens. No need to support it, but you may need to place a few rocks
on the edges to stop it blowing away if it gets windy there. Leave the
netting slack enough so the plants can lift it easily as they grow.

The netting also help to deter cabbage white butterflies. They like to
lay their eggs under the leaves, and it puts them off if they can't
readily land there. In principle they could climb through the holes, but
this doesn't seem to happen.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 27-06-2009, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Shooting them doesn't work, but netting does?

They are easier to shoot if you net them first ;-)

Old 27-06-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 11:55*am, "mark" wrote:
They seem to like broccoli! *Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the *veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

While walking round a boot sale I came across a very large, black,
plastic rook. I thought what a great deterrent. However the attitude
of the pigeons seems to be, "Hey look old rooky's down there, must be
something good to eat!"

I have also tried the silhouette cat with sparkling green eyes - the
pigeons ignored it it but my real cats were very wary.

Another (daft?) solution I see around sometimes is the 2 litre plastic
lemonade bottles, 3/4 filled with water, laid flat on the ground.
Don't even ask how this is supposed to work!

One that is partially successful (for a while anyway) is to string up
some old CDs so that they can move in the breeze and flash the
sunshine unexpectedly at the birds. When you see a large cock pigeon
looking in the shiny side and grooming his feathers, it's time to try
something new.

Please feel free to use any of these solutions there is no charge!

These amazing bird scaring solutions are brought to you by Old
Moghouse's Book of Useless Garden Lore.

Old 27-06-2009, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 04:22:49 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On Jun 27, 11:55*am, "mark" wrote:
They seem to like broccoli! *Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the *veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

While walking round a boot sale I came across a very large, black,
plastic rook. I thought what a great deterrent. However the attitude
of the pigeons seems to be, "Hey look old rooky's down there, must be
something good to eat!"

my pigeons feed with the jacjdaws here

I have also tried the silhouette cat with sparkling green eyes - the
pigeons ignored it it but my real cats were very wary.

Another (daft?) solution I see around sometimes is the 2 litre plastic
lemonade bottles, 3/4 filled with water, laid flat on the ground.
Don't even ask how this is supposed to work!

I think that ones for the cats funny enough since I put some down the
neighbours cats(3) have not been seen here in my garden, though they
do still skirt the public fringes

so that ones not yet busted here.

Old 27-06-2009, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 11:55 am, "mark" wrote:
[...]

I have since found this. They say it will scare off pigeons but then they
would wouldn't they!
http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/fly...carer-90-p.asp

mark

Old 27-06-2009, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 1:53*pm, "mark" wrote:

I have since found this. They say it will scare off pigeons but then they
would wouldn't they!http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/fly...carer-90-p.asp

My goodness, that is so lifelike that it has put me off having
broccoli for my dinner tonight!
Old 27-06-2009, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
wrote
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

At my (inland) place of work there was a problem with a colony of
seagulls that was getting bigger by the day. The amount of guano on the
parked cars at the end of a working day was extensive.

The solution was to fly a bird of prey. I believe the contract is for
flying the bird every day for two weeks followed by twice a week for the
next six months.

I guess that the silhouette may work for a short time but only after
the birds have been frightened off on a regular basis by the real thing
--
Alan
Old 27-06-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

I discovered that blackbirds are eating my strawberries. Until I discovered
this I was thinking I was crap at growing strawberries. Now I know I'm not.
It's just that the blackbirds get to them first. I developed a fleeting
desire for an AK47 ;-)

Old 27-06-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

I discovered that blackbirds are eating my strawberries. Until I
discovered this I was thinking I was crap at growing strawberries. Now I
know I'm not. It's just that the blackbirds get to them first. I developed
a fleeting desire for an AK47 ;-)

If you rig up some netting over the plants, the blackbirds will only get the
ones at the edges of the netting. The mice get the rest ...

Old 27-06-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

I discovered that blackbirds are eating my strawberries.

The cheeky blighters! I've seen blackbirds amongst my strawberries - I'd
assumed they were my friends and eating slugs. I've been betrayed! Now I
understand why they fly off when I approach - guilt!

Old 27-06-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" writes:

I discovered that blackbirds are eating my strawberries. Until I
discovered this I was thinking I was crap at growing strawberries. Now
I know I'm not.

At my previous house I could always tell when the blackcurrants were
ripe because I'd look at the bushes and see they'd been stripped and
the usual perching places round the garden had little piles of purple
poo under them.

In this place I've not bothered with currants and mostly the fruit
stays intact. Last year the blackbirds ate most of the grapes though,
the weather meant they were smaller than usual and I came to the
conclusion that the blackbirds will scoff anything they can fit in
their beak whole. There must be some cherry trees with small fruit
somewhere around, the perching places have little heaps of crap
covered cherry stones under them...

Anthony

Old 27-06-2009, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

Anything bright red seems to scare them off, at least it has in the past,
currently I'm having trouble with sprouts, they are being attacked by
something, don't know what, I assumed it was pidgeons but whatever they are
they were not put off by the red stuff I put down, I do wonder if it is
somethihg else as we have a variety of birds here.

Old 27-06-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

I discovered that blackbirds are eating my strawberries. Until I
discovered this I was thinking I was crap at growing strawberries. Now I
know I'm not. It's just that the blackbirds get to them first. I developed
a fleeting desire for an AK47 ;-)

SWMBO tells me that the blackbirds are eating the raspberries!

"Pigeon pea". Why so named? Phred Plant Science 2 03-06-2006 11:29 PM
Blooming Pigeon Orchid bk Orchids 1 11-09-2004 03:53 AM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Pigeon Manure Romy Beeck Gardening 2 06-08-2004 05:01 PM
pigeon problem John Dolan United Kingdom 11 23-04-2003 05:10 PM