Old 23-07-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to bury an extension cable to the shed?

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:38:34 +0100, K wrote:

hugh ] writes
No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.

Why are they daft? Which bits are not necessary?

The bits that interfere with natural selection? )

ROTFL!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 23-07-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

Having said that, they are run from a 13A socket in my detached garage,
which has an electrician-installed supply using buried armoured cable,
protected by a covering of earth and concrete. The socket in the
garage is built-in to a hard-wired RCD.

I gave up installing my own sockets when the law was tightened some years
ago. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

SPOT ON :-))

That is why I had a qualified Electrician call YESTERDAY to give me a quote
to install power to my garage at the bottom of the gardens :-))

No price yet, but I figure in excess of £500.00

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 23-07-2009, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

My son and my daughter both bought bottom of the range Flymo hover mowers,
mainly because they had tiny lawns. Just outside the guarantee period, both
managed to throw stones through the plastic sides of the hover bit.
Both motors
burnt out in the second year. My son complained to Flymo. Flymo appeared to
believe that a hover mower with a life of a bit over 12 months was
normal. 12
calendar months is only a few months of actual use.

They must have been unlucky. I bought the smallest electric Flymo c
1976; used it for 5 years,
and have very occasionally used it since; it still works fine :-)

Janet.
Old 23-07-2009, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:22:14 +0200, Martin wrote:

My son and my daughter both bought bottom of the range Flymo hover mowers,
mainly because they had tiny lawns. Just outside the guarantee period, both
managed to throw stones through the plastic sides of the hover bit. Both motors
burnt out in the second year. My son complained to Flymo. Flymo appeared to
believe that a hover mower with a life of a bit over 12 months was normal. 12
calendar months is only a few months of actual use.

M'Lord, I would refer you to the little-known EU law which provides
that you do have a 2-year cover for faulty goods, and not just
electrical items.

The specific EU directive is 1999/44/EC and the important clause is
this, "A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods
everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some
manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period"

You are not required to prove that the fault was not down to your
actions and you must report the fault within 2 months of it happening.

Good luck

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 23-07-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

My son and my daughter both bought bottom of the range Flymo hover mowers,
mainly because they had tiny lawns. Just outside the guarantee period, both
managed to throw stones through the plastic sides of the hover bit. Both motors
burnt out in the second year. My son complained to Flymo. Flymo appeared to
believe that a hover mower with a life of a bit over 12 months was normal. 12
calendar months is only a few months of actual use.

My last Flymo lasted several years until one of the switch handles
stopped working, and the bottom plate split, but I used to drag it over
concrete paths to get from one of the 5 areas of grass in my garden to
another, so I blame miss-use for that!

The simple basic Flymo I passed on to a lady friend about 10 years ago
is still working, but she's more gentle with it. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 24-07-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
hugh ] writes
In message , K
writes
hugh ] writes
No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.

Why are they daft? Which bits are not necessary?

The bits which deem that no DIY person knows how to install a new
circuit

But you can do it yourself and get it certified. Does not that make
sense in a world where people move house frequently? Some DIY people
can install safely, others just *think* they can.

How many people per annum are killed arising from wrongly installed
electrical wiring?

In the year before this legislation was passed it was 2 - but one of
those was an MPs daughter IIRC

We have become an obsessively risk averse society.

Ladders are far more dangerous - lets ban climbing ladders unless you
have been certified.

Are you happy with the Regs themselves? Is it just the certification
side which you are unhappy about?

I haven't read them in detail. However it's taken 7 attempts to produce
what we have today and no doubt an eight attempt will follow.
Interested in your comments as I've had similar from my father (60
years as Chartered Elec Eng)

No doubt he feels even more p****** off than I do as I gave up
engineering many years ago. A "certified" electrician did the wiring on
our extension a couple of years ago. I think I've now sorted out all the
poor connections.
--
hugh

Old 24-07-2009, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

hugh ] writes
How many people per annum are killed arising from wrongly installed
electrical wiring?

In the year before this legislation was passed it was 2 - but one of
those was an MPs daughter IIRC

We have become an obsessively risk averse society.

Ladders are far more dangerous - lets ban climbing ladders unless you
have been certified.

Those are very fair points, but I think there's a difference between
killing yourself and killing others. No problem with allowing people who
should know better to do daft things and injure themselves, but I think
we should try our best to stop people doing things that might injure
other people.
--
Kay
Old 24-07-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes

Those are very fair points, but I think there's a difference between
killing yourself and killing others. No problem with allowing people
who should know better to do daft things and injure themselves, but I
think we should try our best to stop people doing things that might
injure other people.

Quite. Burying a cable without proper protection is leaving a
potential death trap for whoever tends your garden/buys your
house/replaces the shed.

When we moved into this (new) house 48 years ago my energetic neighbour
had his front garden dug over and grassed long before I tackled mine.
In the process he put his pick through the surface drain, which ran into
a shared soil pipe drain.

He was living 5000 miles away when I discovered that he had "repaired"
it by covering the hole with an opened-out baby food tin, which had
subsequently rusted away.
(Thanks, Brendan)!

I only sussed this out after having to rod out the shared drain at
regular intervals over a period of many months, when topsoil appeared
amongst the sh**. 8-(

Fortunately my other neighbour was a builder by trade and he helped to
diagnose the problem and replaced the pipe, using his professional
skills.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 24-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered User

Ok folk, I appreciate all the info for now.

Bit more though... the cable has an earth wire, my mistake. Until I get a day off to get it done properly, I have literally popped the cable two inches under the grass. It is nowhere near any drains or somewhere that work is likely to take place, and is not going to get in the way of cutting the grass.

The external electrical box on the house has a trip switch too.

I hope to get some armoured cable in the next month or so, but would prefer to still leave it as a temporary installation a few inches under the ground as I know that no work will be done that could affect it. It is just the fridge running off it as any garden tools are powered from another extension plugged into the kitchen.
Old 24-07-2009, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
How many people per annum are killed arising from wrongly installed
electrical wiring?

How many near misses?

I believe near misses don't count in law :-)

--
hugh

Old 24-07-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
hugh ] writes
How many people per annum are killed arising from wrongly installed
electrical wiring?

In the year before this legislation was passed it was 2 - but one of
those was an MPs daughter IIRC

We have become an obsessively risk averse society.

Ladders are far more dangerous - lets ban climbing ladders unless you
have been certified.

Those are very fair points, but I think there's a difference between
killing yourself and killing others. No problem with allowing people
who should know better to do daft things and injure themselves, but I
think we should try our best to stop people doing things that might
injure other people.

But I might fall off the ladder and hit someone else and so it goes on
and on and on.

--
hugh

Old 24-07-2009, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , K
writes

Those are very fair points, but I think there's a difference between
killing yourself and killing others. No problem with allowing people
who should know better to do daft things and injure themselves, but I
think we should try our best to stop people doing things that might
injure other people.

Quite. Burying a cable without proper protection is leaving a
potential death trap for whoever tends your garden/buys your
house/replaces the shed.

In this particular instance the OP planned to plug it in to an outside
socket so it would have been visible.

When we moved into this (new) house 48 years ago my energetic
neighbour had his front garden dug over and grassed long before I
tackled mine. In the process he put his pick through the surface drain,
which ran into a shared soil pipe drain.

So the primary fault was with the (qualified/certified) builder who had
put the surface drain close to the surface without protection. or are
you saying only qualified/certified people should be allowed to use a
pick?

God I've just thought. I've never been taught to breath - better stop
right awa..... :-)
He was living 5000 miles away when I discovered that he had "repaired"
it by covering the hole with an opened-out baby food tin, which had
subsequently rusted away.
(Thanks, Brendan)!

I only sussed this out after having to rod out the shared drain at
regular intervals over a period of many months, when topsoil appeared
amongst the sh**. 8-(

Fortunately my other neighbour was a builder by trade and he helped to
diagnose the problem and replaced the pipe, using his professional
skills.

So you want to have only licensed people doing any maintenance work
whatsoever?
There are far worse things in life than a blocked drain.

--
hugh