Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default On and off topic

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Is your Erythrina outside, Nick? Ours lives in one of the greenhouses
because its pot is too big to move. It flowered very well this year,
as did the Petrea volubilis but it does have the advantage of glass.

Yes. It is in our warmest, south-facing, corner - and I cover it with
a plastic (double glazed!) pyramid in the winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 8:22 pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
On Aug 2, 3:47 pm, Judith in France
wrote:

Pics of my Datura on the S of the house and a climber that needs
identification on the North side.

Off topic a pic of my beautiful dog Carlotta and me.

Judith

oh blow!!!! I forgot to attach the pics!

http://i29.tinypic.com/2e5rrjc.jpght...c.com/reoj.jpg

I love the gorgeous soppy dog and the way she looks at you. She clearly
adores you. It's nice to see a picture of you, too. What a lovely lady.
Alas, people always get most upset when viewing pictures of spiders. Does
that get me off your rogues gallery? :~)

I do admire your datura. I'd love to grow one, but I have a daffy cat who
thinks she's a caterpillar ... chomp .. chomp :~(
I recognised the Campsis, but couldn't come up with the species name. Most
frustrating. It's a beautiful vine. My sort of colour, too. Thanks for
sharing your pics.

Spider

I like Spiders!!! We have some here that look like some of the Oz
ones but I don't think they bite!

Depends how big they are and how powerful their chelicerae (the appendices
that drive the fangs). My Richard has been bitten by UK spiders twice, once
Tegenaria gigantea, the other time it was Amaurobius ferox (where ferox
means fierce!). Since you like them, however, you'll probably just get a
love bite! :~)) Thankfully, we neither of us were bitten by my pet
Tarantulas. They were handled with great respect. I don't keep them now,
so my office/library has turned back into a normal room.

Thank you for youyr sweet comments
and can you tell that Martin that he should have looked at my later
post!!!! p.s. if you want seeds of the Datura, email me, you will be
very welcome to several hundred.

Judith

Ooh .. generosity itself! Thank you, Judith. :~) I'm tempted to try ..
though not several hundred, thank you! Perhaps I could persuade Panther to
be sensible. It's a long shot; she's into narcotics already! :~))

Spider

Old 03-08-2009, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
I like Spiders!!! We have some here that look like some of the Oz
ones but I don't think they bite!

We like spiders too, which is just as well, since over the last few days,
they seem to be having a competition as to who/which can abseil fastest from
ceiling!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Is your Erythrina outside, Nick? Ours lives in one of the greenhouses
because its pot is too big to move. It flowered very well this year,
as did the Petrea volubilis but it does have the advantage of glass.

Yes. It is in our warmest, south-facing, corner - and I cover it with
a plastic (double glazed!) pyramid in the winter.

I'm still amazed at what can survive outside in winter and yes, I know
you cosset it a bit but even so......! I imagine it's sharply drained
so doesn't have wet, cold roots all winter.

Since my soil is 60% sand, no. Yes, it gets wet there, but it never
waterlogs. The cover was intended to keep it a bit drier than the
rest of the garden.

You have heard it before, but I succeeded with Passiflora incarnata
only after planting it in the rain shadow of the eaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Spider wrote:
I like Spiders!!! We have some here that look like some of the Oz
ones but I don't think they bite!

We like spiders too, which is just as well, since over the last few days,
they seem to be having a competition as to who/which can abseil fastest
from ceiling!

:~)) Lovely! I've been surrounded by spiders in the garden today, as I've
been doing some serious tidying up. Lots of abseiling :~)

Spider

Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 3, 1:11*pm, "Spider" wrote:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2e5rrjc.jpght...m/1442peh.jpgh...

[...]

Giggle! I am giggling a lot tonight! If you want seeds, you know my
Addy, it's valid.

Judith
Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 3, 10:25*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Spider wrote:
I like Spiders!!! *We have some here that look like some of the Oz
ones but I don't think they bite!

We like spiders too, which is just as well, since over the last few days,
they seem to be having a competition as to who/which can abseil fastest
from ceiling!

:~)) *Lovely! *I've been surrounded by spiders in the garden today, as I've
been doing some serious tidying up. *Lots of abseiling :~)

Spider

Darling little things. I can see at least 3 with weeny bodies, like
those Huntsman things, long legs. They don't kill me, at least I
think they don't, as they seem to walk over me when I am sitting down.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 3, 11:53*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 1b4b61ee-ce55-4fb0-9898-
,
says...

wrote:
Pics of my Datura on the S of the house and a climber that needs
identification on the North side.

Off topic a pic of my beautiful dog Carlotta and me.

Judith

oh blow!!!! *I forgot to attach the pics!

http://i29.tinypic.com/2e5rrjc.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/1442peh.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/reoj.jpg

the climber is Campsis, if it has aerial root Campsis radicans but it
looks more like one of the hybrids like madam Galen
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie, thank you and to everyone else who offered advice.

Judith

Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Spider wrote:
I like Spiders!!! We have some here that look like some of the Oz
ones but I don't think they bite!

We like spiders too, which is just as well, since over the last few days,
they seem to be having a competition as to who/which can abseil fastest
from ceiling!

:~)) Lovely! I've been surrounded by spiders in the garden today, as
I've been doing some serious tidying up. Lots of abseiling :~)

I had a friend who was seriously squicked by spiders. One day, I was
sitting on my bed chtatting to her on the phone. I watched with interest as
a spider ran along the bed and disappeared down the back. I mentioned it
and SHE started screaming!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 3, 10:25 pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Spider wrote:
I like Spiders!!! We have some here that look like some of the Oz
ones but I don't think they bite!

We like spiders too, which is just as well, since over the last few
days,
they seem to be having a competition as to who/which can abseil fastest
from ceiling!

:~)) Lovely! I've been surrounded by spiders in the garden today, as I've
been doing some serious tidying up. Lots of abseiling :~)

Spider

Darling little things. I can see at least 3 with weeny bodies, like
those Huntsman things, long legs. They don't kill me, at least I
think they don't, as they seem to walk over me when I am sitting down.

I wonder if they are true spiders. There *is* a true long-legged spider
called Pholcus phalangiodes, but they don't very often stroll over people
(they make large webs at ceiling level). However, there is an *arachnid*
call Leiobunum rotundum which has very long black legs, which I have had
stroll over me. I think it's deeply cute :~)

Today's lesson is: All spiders are arachnids .. not all arachnids are
spiders.

Spider

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Today's lesson is: All spiders are arachnids .. not all arachnids are
spiders.

I have my own personal arachnid you know! It lives in the mirror on my car.
Sometimes when I am driving, it pops out and the pops back in smartish if I
am going fast I have lovely cobwebs between my mirror and car door too

Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

Today's lesson is: All spiders are arachnids .. not all arachnids are
spiders.

I have my own personal arachnid you know! It lives in the mirror on my
car. Sometimes when I am driving, it pops out and the pops back in
smartish if I am going fast I have lovely cobwebs between my mirror and
car door too

How very kind of you to take it out for a spin :~))

Spider

Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

Today's lesson is: All spiders are arachnids .. not all arachnids are
spiders.

I have my own personal arachnid you know! It lives in the mirror on my
car. Sometimes when I am driving, it pops out and the pops back in
smartish if I am going fast I have lovely cobwebs between my mirror
and car door too

How very kind of you to take it out for a spin :~))

We could only discuss something like this on the web