Old 01-03-2010, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

Default walking boots-- which are good?

bobharvey wrote:
On 28 Feb, 17:22, "Gordon" wrote:

Again TOTAL TRIPE! Why bother with extra linings when you don't need
them? As I stated - the ability of goretex linings to breath is
restricted by the ability of the leather to breathe, so why bother
with the goretex?
It's a gimmick designed to con punters.

I've long thought that myself, and never noticed any significant
difference between leather boots with and without gore-tex. Fabric
ones, of course, are a different story.

Given that the socks are at least as important when it comes to
disposing of perspiration, You'd think that all the sales blurbs on
expensive boots would tell you which socks to wear, or at least which
they were tested with. They never mention it.

(I go for socks with as much wool and as little man-made fibre as I can find.

I dont, I dont got for no man made fibre, they dont last
as well as those with say 30% of the right man made fibre.

I used to wear pure cotton socks inside the wool ones, but can't get them anywhere now.)

They're still around, from china.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 07:22:38 -0800 (PST), FenlandRunner wrote:

On 1 Mar, 14:32, bobharvey wrote:
On 28 Feb, 17:22, "Gordon" wrote:

Again TOTAL TRIPE! Why bother with extra linings when you don't need them?
As I stated - the ability of goretex linings to breath is restricted by the
ability of the leather to breathe, so why bother with the goretex?
It's a gimmick designed to con punters.

I've long thought that myself, and never noticed any significant
difference between leather boots with and without gore-tex. *Fabric
ones, of course, are a different story.

Given that the socks are at least as important when it comes to
disposing of perspiration, You'd think that all the sales blurbs on
expensive boots would tell you which socks to wear, or at least which
they were tested with. *They never mention it.

(I go for socks with as much wool and as little man-made fibre as I
can find. *I used to wear pure cotton socks inside the wool ones, but
can't get them anywhere now.)

RonHill socks, you can't go wrong!

If they're like the Tracksters, they'd keep ones feet cool! My last GF and
I agreed that Tracksters were to keep warmth out - we were less cold in
shorts.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

On 1 Mar, 19:01, PeterC wrote:

RonHill socks, you can't go wrong!

If they're like the Tracksters, they'd keep ones feet cool! My last GF and
I agreed that Tracksters were to keep warmth out - we were less cold in
shorts.

we seem to have frightened off our Original Poster. Has anyone seen
hide nor hair of him?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

"bobharvey" wrote in message

we seem to have frightened off our Original Poster. Has anyone seen
hide nor hair of him?

Well it HAS been a bit of a mega-thread!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

bobharvey wrote
PeterC wrote

RonHill socks, you can't go wrong!

If they're like the Tracksters, they'd keep ones feet cool!
My last GF and I agreed that Tracksters were to keep
warmth out - we were less cold in shorts.

we seem to have frightened off our Original Poster.
Has anyone seen hide nor hair of him?

He hanged himself on the first day. Wota wimp.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Mar, 21:02, "Rod Speed" wrote:
bobharvey wrote

PeterC wrote
RonHill socks, you can't go wrong!
If they're like the Tracksters, they'd keep ones feet cool!
My last GF and I agreed that Tracksters were to keep
warmth out - we were less cold in shorts.

we seem to have frightened off our Original Poster.
Has anyone seen hide nor hair of him?

He hanged himself on the first day. Wota wimp.

But shouldn't it have been about Gardening boots?
David Hill
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

On 1 Mar, 21:17, Dave Hill wrote:
But shouldn't it have been about Gardening boots?

Don't know about you, but walking is the method I use to get from my
house to my garden.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

bobharvey wrote
Dave Hill wrote

But shouldn't it have been about Gardening boots?

Don't know about you, but walking is the method
I use to get from my house to my garden.

I usually do too, but rarely wear boots, just when I am digging, which isnt often.

I dont even bother with boots when digging up the evening's new potatoes either.

And I wear my walking boots when I do wear boots in the garden too.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

Vic Smith writes:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:45:10 +0000, Geoff Berrow
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:49:00 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Take them orienteering instead and they'll be on rougher terrain with
more need of good soles, and hardly anyone will think they're best off
in boots with Vibram soles and ankle support. Certainly almost all of
the experts won't be in them.

I've been walking 3-4 miles a day on pavements to keep in trim and in
the recent snow, I wore my boots instead of my usual North Face shoes.
As I only have short legs, I found it harder to walk as fast with the
boots because of the extra weight. This isn't usually a problem when
doing day walks across country or up hills as my pace will be more
relaxed. I can see, however, that someone concerned with speed would
prefer lighter footwear.

Speed isn't the only concern with weight.
After some miles of walking in comfortable but heavy boots, a knee
became painful and slightly swollen. I didn't connect it with the
boots at first, but when I doffed the boots the knee problem very
quickly disappeared.
It's possible my gait in the above ankle boots was a factor, but I'm
guessing it was mostly the swinging weight of the boots.

The knee is basically a hinge. It can move through nearly 180
degrees, but only in a single plane. The ankle has a more limited
range of motion but is also more tolerant of movement in different
planes, especially in combination with the feet -- there's a whole
collection of joints down there. What sometimes happens when you
restrict the mobility of the ankles and feet is that any sort of
lateral or twisting movements that these would normally handle are
transferred to the knees, which don't appreciate them. For an
excruciatingly detailed discussion of this, see

http://www.tmuscle.com/portal_includ...-training.html

Then again, it could just be the swinging weight.

--
Jim Janney
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

On 1 Mar, 23:39, "Rod Speed" wrote:

I usually do too, but rarely wear boots, just when I am digging, which isnt often.

I need to wear Wellies to go into my garden at the moment. I wish I
had waders.

When we moved here the "orchard" bit beyond the bank was under water
from November to June most years. I created raised banks to plant the
apple trees into. For 15 years the back's been squidgy, but not
immersed. This year is like travelling back in time.

I dont even bother with boots when digging up the evening's new potatoes either.

I can only plant things that have snorkels.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 18:11:52 -0700, Jim Janney
wrote:

Vic Smith writes:

[...]

It's very complicated. I attributed the pain to the weight because it
was most painful at the top of the swing. As if my gait and muscles
propelling the boot weight upward were more than my knee joint liked
in reversing that momentum. Perhaps hyper-extending the joint.
I don't reject the other suggestions here about the boots changing my
gait, though my gait seemed entirely natural and fluid to me.
It does make sense that the boot binding of the ankles and their
weight did adjust my gait.
Some years later I had pain in both knees, and had x-rays, then a cat
scan, then a session of physical therapy. The x-ray guy suggested
possible arthritis, the cat scan analyst found nothing wrong.
Mind you, the pain wasn't debilitating until I walked a bit, but
painful enough at other times that I wanted to address it and remove
it
I did the therapy exercises at home for a week or so with no result.
Then my wife came home from the rummage store with an ottoman, and
said, "Get your damn legs off that table, and use this."
Some months earlier I set up my computer paraphernalia on a large,
sturdy table, and began working from a reclining easy chair with the
keyboard on my lap, and my feet extended to the table, heels or heel,
depending if my legs were crossed, carrying the weight of my legs.
This was the most comfortable work position I've ever found, giving
total back support, and I never suffered any knee pain sitting like
this.
But my knees were suspended in mid-air, and were hyper-extending.
I did as my wife demanded, and all knee pain was gone in a few days.
No doctor has asked about this seating position, and I never thought
to mention it.
Just one of the countless ways a wife is handy.

--Vic

Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

bobharvey wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I usually do too, but rarely wear boots, just when I am digging, which isnt often.

I need to wear Wellies to go into my garden at the moment. I wish I had waders.

When we moved here the "orchard" bit beyond the bank was under water
from November to June most years. I created raised banks to plant the
apple trees into. For 15 years the back's been squidgy, but not
immersed. This year is like travelling back in time.

We're still in a 10 year drought. And even when not in one, I dont ever
get standing water in the garden except when I have watered too much.

I dont even bother with boots when digging up the evening's new potatoes either.

I can only plant things that have snorkels.

Sooner you than me.

I've only just got back into growing vegys after 50 years, mainly
just because its more convenient to get them out of the back
yard than to run around town for them roughy weekly etc.

I dont bother with lawns at all and just let the backyard turn
into a jungle, tho it didnt grow that much due to the drought.

When I watered the area where the vegys were to go, just small
patch, so I could actually turn the dirt over with a fork, the weed
thought that all their xmases had come at once and they ended
up well over 6' high very quickly. Some have turned into small
trees, bigger than the neighbours brick shed, 10' high at least.

Last time I said that in one of the gardening groups
everyone decided that I must be growing marihuana |-)

Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

wrote:

Vic Smith writes:

[...]

Yeah. I've been exclusively computing like that for decades now.

giving total back support, and I never suffered any knee pain sitting like this.

Yeah, I smashed my patella and that leg only bends about half way back now.

No problem when walking tho.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

wrote:

Take them orienteering instead and they'll be on rougher terrain with
more need of good soles, and hardly anyone will think they're best off
in boots with Vibram soles and ankle support. Certainly almost all of
the experts won't be in them.

I've been walking 3-4 miles a day on pavements to keep in trim and in
the recent snow, I wore my boots instead of my usual North Face shoes.
As I only have short legs, I found it harder to walk as fast with the
boots because of the extra weight. This isn't usually a problem when
doing day walks across country or up hills as my pace will be more
relaxed. I can see, however, that someone concerned with speed would
prefer lighter footwear.

Just done a short (2 mile) walk to get a bus from the next village. In
boots it takes about 28 - 29 minutes, but today I wore shoes (Merrill) for
the first time for months and it took 27 minutes. OK, a (very) small
sample, but the cadence was up by about 4% and I felt like running up one
hill. A few walks to get used to shoes and speed could be better.

[...]

Very much so. In the '80s, when 'clipless' pedals were gaining use, I spoke
to several people who'd had knee trouble due to the limited movement of the
foot allowed by the clips.
One rider, half way through a 1300km ride, changed from Look to Time pedals
(or t'other way - long time ago) and that stopped the pain in his knees
because his feet could twist a bit.

For an
excruciatingly detailed discussion of this, see

http://www.tmuscle.com/portal_includ...-training.html

Then again, it could just be the swinging weight.

V. interesting article, thanks - I shall read it thoroughly when I've the
odd fortnight spare (and when sober).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

bobharvey wrote:

I need to wear Wellies to go into my garden at the moment. I wish I
had waders.

Ours is more microspikes territory at the moment, not snow but permafrost.

I can only plant things that have snorkels.

I just CBA to get the power drill out to dig the holes...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK