Old 15-04-2010, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which tomato variety?

On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?
Don
Old 15-04-2010, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Donwill wrote:
On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?

Flavour first, I always go for Gardener's Delight. They're only cherry
size, but they are by far the tastiest. And the yield is good too, so
that's a bonus.

Last year's crop got a bit muddled (Nick planted things out whilst I was
away and didn't notice the pots were colour coded!), but I /think/ the
really nice slightly unusual one we did last year was Caspian Pink. But we
managed to kill all of the CP seedlings from the leftover seeds this year,
so it will be at least another year until we can confirm.

My 4 year old absolutely loves ildi (another cherry, yellow this time),
which are remarkably high yield, but a bit bland for my taste.

The 2 I found least tasty last year are alicante and tigerella. Given them
a miss this year.

And finally, I think the sub arctic plenty did very well outside, for a
medium sized red, but being outside they get a bit tough skinned.
Old 15-04-2010, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Apr 2010 10:25:41 GMT, wrote:

Donwill wrote:
On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?

Flavour first, I always go for Gardener's Delight. They're only cherry
size, but they are by far the tastiest. And the yield is good too, so
that's a bonus.

I've never really been happy with Gardener's Delight.

Tommy Toe I found to be a tasty small tom and I am growing again two
medium sized toms, Santa and Orange Santa.

Now for real great taste I think you need something bigger.
I've grown for the last two years the following, my neighbours have
had plants from me as well and go mad for them.

*** Seeds Tomato Ananas Noire (Black Pineapple)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 15-04-2010, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote in news:82nqb8F9rtU1
@mid.individual.net:

On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?
Don

Sweet Million are my first choice, a cherry type with a wonderful flavour
which crops very heavilly outdoors. They are an expensive seed £2.55 for 20
seeds!

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Vegetable+Seeds/Tomato+F1
+Sweet+Million+Seeds+181392.htm?ito=2362&itc=11698 &itkw=sweet%20million%
20tomato&gclid=CJGsydvHiKECFReZ2Aod2XibOg

Gardeners Delight are my second choice, another cherry type, a very nice
flavour which crops heavily outdoors. Nice cheap seeds £.99 for loads of
seeds.

Both of the above are early croppers outside, in fact last year I was
taking a FEW late June and could not keep up by mid July and by mid August
I started preserving as well as giving some away right up to late October
by which time they stayed green. But even then in a dark place they slowly
ripened. BTW I had 22 plants, and this year I will cut back.

I have no third choice now, don't need one.

I would urge you to grow Sweet Million and in a greenhouse if you have one
(I have not got one or the room to put one in) and you will not be
disappointed I promise.

PtePike

Old 15-04-2010, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/04/2010 07:34, Donwill wrote:
On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety
do you favour?
Don

Last year we grew 2 varieties,
_ Gardeners Delight_, which most people know. They are a bit acidic for
my taste, but they are early.

_Tres Cantos_ - We bought a packet of seeds in Spain, they are a very
large fleshy tom, not many seeds but they have a superb flavour and are
great for slicing for sandwiches or salads. They have become our
favourite but on a sample of one year's harvest only.

Don

Old 15-04-2010, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?
Don

Not quite an answer to your question, but I have always found that the
important factor for best flavour is not so much the choice of variety, but
rather to grow the plants in good soil and let the tomatoes ripen on the
plant. The reason shop tomatoes are sometimes rather tasteless is that they
are intensively grown and picked while green.
Just my own experience for what its worth
R.

Old 15-04-2010, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/04/2010 12:40, PtePike wrote:
wrote in news:82nqb8F9rtU1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

I'll try the Sweet Million next year instead of Gardeners Delight I think.
Don
Old 15-04-2010, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/04/2010 12:35, ®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On 15 Apr 2010 10:25:41 wrote:

wrote:

On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?

Flavour first, I always go for Gardener's Delight. They're only cherry
size, but they are by far the tastiest. And the yield is good too, so
that's a bonus.

I've never really been happy with Gardener's Delight.

Tommy Toe I found to be a tasty small tom and I am growing again two
medium sized toms, Santa and Orange Santa.

Now for real great taste I think you need something bigger.
I've grown for the last two years the following, my neighbours have
had plants from me as well and go mad for them.

*** Seeds Tomato Ananas Noire (Black Pineapple)

Those _Ananas Noire_ sound interesting, are they a French bred variety?
We grow "Tres Cantos" as a large Tom.

Don
Old 15-04-2010, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/04/2010 13:28, Ragnar wrote:
wrote in message

On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?
Don

Not quite an answer to your question, but I have always found that the
important factor for best flavour is not so much the choice of variety, but
rather to grow the plants in good soil and let the tomatoes ripen on the
plant. The reason shop tomatoes are sometimes rather tasteless is that they
are intensively grown and picked while green.
Just my own experience for what its worth
R.

I dont know how one defines "Good Soil" in influencing flavour. There's
lots of research been done in horticultural institutes on yield of
tomatoes in the interests of commercial growers but not a lot on flavour
I suspect. Maybe thats a nice research project " _The influence of soil
types and nutrients on tomato flavour_" I'd love to be on the tasting
panel :-) .
You are right not to pick them green we always leave the tomatoes on the
plant until fully ripe, well until end of season chutney time.
Regards
Don
Old 15-04-2010, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:31:58 +0100, Donwill
wrote:

On 15/04/2010 12:35, ®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On 15 Apr 2010 10:25:41 wrote:

wrote:

On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?

Flavour first, I always go for Gardener's Delight. They're only cherry
size, but they are by far the tastiest. And the yield is good too, so
that's a bonus.

I've never really been happy with Gardener's Delight.

Tommy Toe I found to be a tasty small tom and I am growing again two
medium sized toms, Santa and Orange Santa.

Now for real great taste I think you need something bigger.
I've grown for the last two years the following, my neighbours have
had plants from me as well and go mad for them.

*** Seeds Tomato Ananas Noire (Black Pineapple)

Those _Ananas Noire_ sound interesting, are they a French bred variety?

So I believe, Ananas Noire being French for Black Pineapple.

They really are tasty, never go fully red, but rather greeny-red
streaky mixtures. (Not a good looker and best eaten straight after
harvesting) Available from many outlets

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ananas_Noire

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 15-04-2010, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote in
:

[...]

Gardeners Delight are scrumptious, feed them on the the bottom only
otherwise you might get the dreaded blight.I mean feed the roots only.
Do not water the foiliage!
I wish you well.

PtePike
Old 15-04-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ragnar" contains these words:

Not quite an answer to your question, but I have always found that the
important factor for best flavour is not so much the choice of variety, but
rather to grow the plants in good soil and let the tomatoes ripen on the
plant. The reason shop tomatoes are sometimes rather tasteless is
that they
are intensively grown and picked while green.
Just my own experience for what its worth
R.

Quite agree! I recently had to discard a six pack of Tesco toms
becauise they rotted before the could ripen. They must have been picked
far too green. I generally find that all toms ar etasty when ripened
properly on the plant and then eaten straight from that plant on a warm
day.

--
Compo
Old 16-04-2010, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Paul Simonite wrote:
Quite agree! I recently had to discard a six pack of Tesco toms
becauise they rotted before the could ripen.

Were they the "better than half price" 40p for 6 salad tomatoes?
My mum bought some of those and after 3 days (admittedly, unopened, and in
the fruit bowl) one of them had a beard!
Old 18-04-2010, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?
Don

My favourites are 'Sungold' which are an orange cherry tomato and incredibly
sweet. Have grown them for the last two years.

Not growing them this year as I find they grow very, very tall & heavy which
for my limited area for growing last year I kept having them fall over...

So this year I'm sticking to the smaller bush varieties of tomato.

Old 20-04-2010, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?
Don

Can't go wrong with Gardener's Delight - a fabulous little tomato - great
taste, great yield and extremely easy to grow!

Jo