Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered User

Location: wirral
Default New Member.

Hi.

I've posted a few times without properly introducing myself which seems very rude. I'm Sue and I live on the Wirral in NW England. I am currently restoring a garden that was once beautiful but suffered years of neglect while I battled at the chalk face. Even though I retired a few years ago it took a while to pluck up the courage to make a start - but now that I have, I'm loving it.

I look forward to getting to know some fellow enthusiasts.

Sue
Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue Holt" wrote
I've posted a few times without properly introducing myself which seems
very rude. I'm Sue and I live on the Wirral in NW England. I am
currently restoring a garden that was once beautiful but suffered years
of neglect while I battled at the chalk face. Even though I retired a
few years ago it took a while to pluck up the courage to make a start -
but now that I have, I'm loving it.

I look forward to getting to know some fellow enthusiasts.

Welcome to the "uk.rec.gardening" newsgroup Sue, hope we can help idc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Sue Holt" wrote
I've posted a few times without properly introducing myself which seems
very rude. I'm Sue and I live on the Wirral in NW England. I am
currently restoring a garden that was once beautiful but suffered years
of neglect while I battled at the chalk face. Even though I retired a
few years ago it took a while to pluck up the courage to make a start -
but now that I have, I'm loving it.
I look forward to getting to know some fellow enthusiasts.

Welcome to the "uk.rec.gardening" newsgroup Sue, hope we can help idc.

Er, Sue is posting to gardenbanter so is getting here only by default via
a commercially based forum. If they stopped pinching uk.rec.gardening's
posts and passing them off as their own, she might find herself in a
decent and informative newsgroup!

I did realise that and thought I would point her in the right direction
gently. :-)
However, I doubt posts like these actually get onto gandenripoff so those
who don't understand about Newsgroups never get to learn they can come
direct instead of via a ripoff web site.
But lets not start that all over again. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sue Holt wrote:
I've posted a few times without properly introducing myself which seems
very rude. I'm Sue and I live on the Wirral in NW England. I am
currently restoring a garden that was once beautiful but suffered years
of neglect while I battled at the chalk face. Even though I retired a
few years ago it took a while to pluck up the courage to make a start -
but now that I have, I'm loving it.

Hello there. I'm from the Wirral, originally. My parents still live in New
Brighton. (Or more accurately, they live there again)

Whereabouts are you?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered User

Location: wirral

Hi. I'm on the Bidston ridge - so plenty of acid soil and sandstone outcrops among the ancient pine trees. We also have mature and highly protected American red oaks, horse chestnuts and birches - all of which make gardening in their shadow an interesting challenge.

Where is your garden?

I'm confused by the other replies - I had no idea what I was getting into here! It's very easy just to wander into a site like this without understanding its history.

So - if I go direct to this forum is that ok?

Sue

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Sue, and welcome to URG.

On 05/05/2010 10:11 AM, Sue Holt wrote:
Hi. I'm on the Bidston ridge - so plenty of acid soil and sandstone
outcrops among the ancient pine trees. We also have mature and highly
protected American red oaks, horse chestnuts and birches - all of which
make gardening in their shadow an interesting challenge.

That sounds lovely, actually.

[]
I'm confused by the other replies - I had no idea what I was getting
into here! It's very easy just to wander into a site like this without
understanding its history.

So - if I go direct to this forum is that ok?

You are posting on a very old part of the internet, that predates the
www. It's called Usenet, or sometimes just "news." You can find out
about it with google or for example at www.usenet.com. Many people
don't like sites like GBanter because they steal content and repost
without permission.

You are on the group uk.rec.gardening.

To access Usenet directly you need a news server, I use
news.individual.net which costs 10 EU a year but removes most spam
messages quite effectively. There are also many free news servers. You
can also access Usenet via google, although it is a rather difficult
interface I find.

I have been using Usenet since the early 80s!

cheers and HTH

-E
Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Registered User

Location: wirral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
Hello Sue, and welcome to URG.

That sounds lovely, actually.

You are posting on a very old part of the internet, that predates the
www. It's called Usenet, or sometimes just "news." You can find out
about it with google or for example at Usenet.com :: Usenet Information Center. Many people
don't like sites like GBanter because they steal content and repost
without permission.

You are on the group uk.rec.gardening.

To access Usenet directly you need a news server, I use
news.individual.net which costs 10 EU a year but removes most spam
messages quite effectively. There are also many free news servers. You
can also access Usenet via google, although it is a rather difficult
interface I find.

-E
Sorry guys - this all seems a bit complicated for me!

It is a lovely garden - though hard work - and very peaceful, especially with all the birdsong at this time of year.

I think I'll just stop messing about on the computer and go and enjoy it.

Enjoy your gardening

Sue
Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered User

Location: wirral

Sorry, sorry - just before I get my wellies on -

I always imagine chat rooms to be like parties where everyone you have ever met is present. (it just stops me saying something I wouldn't say in 'real life' - its also the reason I use my real name - I have to behave myself!) In the case of this forum, I had appropriately imagined a sunny lawn with people chatting by the flower beds, glasses in hand.

But now I feel as though I wandered down a dusty old corridor by mistake!

I need to get back into the sunshine.

Best Wishes

Sue
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue Holt" wrote in message

Sorry guys - this all seems a bit complicated for me!

It is a lovely garden - though hard work - and very peaceful, especially
with all the birdsong at this time of year.

I think I'll just stop messing about on the computer and go and enjoy
it.

Enjoy your gardening

Sue

--
Sue Holt

There gardenbanter knockers. Happy now?

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue Holt wrote:[color=blue][i]
No Name;886243 Wrote:
Sue Holt wrote:

Hello there. I'm from the Wirral, originally. My parents still live in
New
Brighton. (Or more accurately, they live there again)

Whereabouts are you?

Hi. I'm on the Bidston ridge - so plenty of acid soil and sandstone
outcrops among the ancient pine trees. We also have mature and highly
protected American red oaks, horse chestnuts and birches - all of which
make gardening in their shadow an interesting challenge.

Sounds good for fungus-hunting...

Where is your garden?

I'm confused by the other replies - I had no idea what I was getting
into here! It's very easy just to wander into a site like this without
understanding its history.

Ah. You've wandered into Gardenbanter, which annexes posts - maybe
selected posts - from this Usenet newsgroup.

Usenet is not (easily) accessible from the WWW, and generally is
accessed using a newsreader and a newsfeed. Many mail programs have a
newsreader incorporated.

Usenet is rather like e-mail, where all messages to the group are
readable by all subscribers, and may be replied to by anybody.

Newsreaders indent previous messages so conversations can be followed at
a glance:

Latest message...
earlier still message, etc.

Messages coming via Gardenbanter (which reproduces our group without
permission) are not so indented, making exchanges difficult to follow.

So - if I go direct to this forum is that ok?

Well, we welcome all comers wherever they come from, but this is a
newsgroup, not a forum. Gardenbanter is a forum which steals our
messages and presents them as their own, and we do prefer that the group
is accessed via a newsreader for the reasons stated above.

Anyway, welcome, however you arrive...

--
Rusty

Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue Holt wrote:
;886270']Hello Sue, and welcome to URG.

Center' (http://www.usenet.com). Many people
don't like sites like GBanter because they steal content and repost
without permission.

You are on the group uk.rec.gardening.

To access Usenet directly you need a news server, I use
news.individual.net which costs 10 EU a year but removes most spam
messages quite effectively. There are also many free news servers.
You
can also access Usenet via google, although it is a rather difficult
interface I find.

-E

Sorry guys - this all seems a bit complicated for me!

It is a lovely garden - though hard work - and very peaceful, especially
with all the birdsong at this time of year.

I think I'll just stop messing about on the computer and go and enjoy
it.

Enjoy your gardening

Ta. But don't go away!

--
Rusty
Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Sue Holt wrote:

[...]

So - if I go direct to this forum is that ok?

Well, we welcome all comers wherever they come from, but this is a
newsgroup, not a forum. Gardenbanter is a forum which steals our
messages and presents them as their own, and we do prefer that the
group is accessed via a newsreader for the reasons stated above.

Anyway, welcome, however you arrive...

And there's a beginner's substitute for a real newsreader at Google
Groups. It's often very slow to put messages up, and you have to sign in
before it will let you post; but it can be a useful introduction.

--
Mike.

Old 13-05-2010, 02:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post

However, I doubt posts like these actually get onto gandenripoff :-)
They do, actually :-)

I'm reading you loud and clear.

[IBC] Morning, New Member Barb Bonsai 1 12-08-2003 04:42 PM
New member--intro Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 17-04-2003 11:20 PM
New Member Starlord Gardening 0 11-02-2003 04:25 AM
[IBC] New member - Question on junipers Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 08:25 PM
New member - Question on junipers Allen Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 07:25 PM