Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed free garden anyone?

On Jun 5, 1:56*pm, Jill Bell wrote:
On 05/06/2010 12:38, David in Normandy wrote:

Does anyone have a weed free garden? I keep hoeing mine as they appear
and certainly before they get to seed but there must be a huge number of
seeds already in the soil. After a good shower of rain a blanket of them
always appears. Mainly chickweed. I've heard the old saying "One years
seeds seven years weeds". Has anyone had a long established garden that
is now weed free?

Immpossible! Because, not only are there the weeds that blow in from
over the fields and are dropped by the birds but there are all the
'weeds' I've introduced myself - before I knew better, or in some cases
just because I like them........ the aquilegia (now reverted to mucky
pink)

Still working on getting their seedlings to survive. Only a couple
made it from last year.

, the Alchemilla mollis,

Never made it to the second year.

the poached egg plant,

Wouldn't stand a chance.

the Welsh poppies,

Would've been ideal... alas, just wouldn't.

the celandines

Ah, now those I didn't try, not that they'd make it. Too dry.

, the grape hyacinths

Ah, now a few did make it, but the buggers just refuse to spread. But
at least they've manage to flower... less luck with the Crocosmias.

, the creeping jenny.

No chance of survival.

There was also a relative of Cleavers, lovely white flower it had;
Very naturalistic, so it looked; But then I happened upon the bright
idea to thin it out a bit just in case...oops, rather thin on the
ground this year;

I do have a bit of Oxalis though.

No chemicals (herbicide/pesticide) used.

That's not to say I can't get anything else to grow here

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2remm45&s=6 and the red thing is a
paeony
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j49c15&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2iqhhec&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10fuc0k&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=105cjeh&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=257qhpz&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fp1eo5&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=110elhv&s=6

Anyone else got a plant that they really wish they hadn't introduced?

I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm trying.!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 18:27:25 GMT, PtePike wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

I have a hand tool like a long screwdriver with a vee shaped prong
on the end; slide it down under the rosette of leaves and slice through
the taproot deep down well below soil level.
Pick up corpse and dispose. Takes longer to type than it does to do.
Don;t leave any dead flowers lying about (or compost the flowers)
because they can turn to seedheads even in death.

Janet.

I have one of those tools but was told that no matter how deep we pull them
they will grow again.

If you have had success I am going to go with it.

And I like your idea....target one weed one year.

Still have to weed though but a concerted effort on one bugger sounds good
and I am going to give it a go, nothing else seems to work.

Regards
PtePike

I use a normal food knife to cut the root. I'd like a tool that was
easier to hold though
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 4:15*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
[...]

Missed a couple.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dlp2th&s=6

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2bo655&s=6
Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
"Jill Bell" wrote
Anyone else got a plant that they really wish they hadn't introduced?

Spanish bluebells.

My only excuse is that at the time I was lead to believe they were
native ones, but now I know better having seen the real deal in flower
along Cornish lanes.

I was once rash enough to introduce orange hawkweed. It's one of my
favourite wild flowers, and of a colour you don't see too often in
British natives; and in the wild it's far from virulent. In the garden,
however, it seemed intent on invading Poland, increasing by seed and a
network of runners. Curiously, its quarters were not at all luxurious:
I'd put it in a problem patch of poor soil and broken shale.

--
Mike.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jill Bell wrote:
Anyone else got a plant that they really wish they hadn't introduced?

I think I may have mentioned this before, but nearly 30 years ago I changed
school and my friend gave me a forget-me-not plant, which I planted in my
nan's garden. She never managed to get rid of them, and they more or less
took over the entire garden.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote
[...]That's not to say I can't get anything else to grow here

Lovely rose - what a sumptuous deep colour.

--
Sue

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Location: Just outside of Bristol
Smile

Hi David in Normandy,

Living in Normandy sounds nice, have toyed with the idea of Brittany but not sure whether I could afford it.

Something that has worked for me has been using a cover sheet to prevent any weeds underneath getting any light and having the plants you want coming through this. Obviously if you can get tree bark mulch to put down it looks better and if the weeds do get through they are easy to spot. I would then spray off or pull out any weeds that come through and then just keep on top of it.

Bizarrely this idea comes from the city where when I was working in the facilities department we would get contractors in to manage the flowerbeds and flower fronts. The bed was initially planted through a permeable sheet placed over the soil, this was then covered over with bark to keep the light away from the weeds and provide moisture for the rest of the plants (this was low maintenance) if anything did break through the layers the contractors either sprayed it of or just pulled the weed out by the roots.

The following article raises some good points on getting a balance of work and enjoyement

Try to Get a Balance With Jobs and Pleasure

Hope this is of some use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Normandy[_8_] View Post
Does anyone have a weed free garden? I keep hoeing mine as they appear
and certainly before they get to seed but there must be a huge number of
seeds already in the soil. After a good shower of rain a blanket of them
always appears. Mainly chickweed. I've heard the old saying "One years
seeds seven years weeds". Has anyone had a long established garden that
is now weed free?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

My gardening year includes three big events: about now I spend a day pulling up basketfuls of violets which have finished flowering; in a couple of weeks I repeat the process with forget-me-not; and finally I repeat the process with wild strawberries.

Despite this, I still have enough seeds/plants to have a rich display of violets in the spring, followed by the forget-me-nots,, followed by enough strawberries for the summer and to put several boxes in the deepfreeze. So I'm very happy with the situation.

I also have aquilegia in multiple combinations of colour ((white,pinks and purples, with or without green markings) and flower form (single, double, ''clematis form"), foxgloves, yellow poppies, and pink and white musk mallow, all of which I treat on the basis of let them grow where they will, and just pull them up if I want to grow something else there. And I'm going to have to add primroses to that list - they are taking over, and I'm running out of places to transplant them to.
Old 29-05-2011, 05:18 AM
rengiesuerte's Avatar
Registered User

Thumbs up

Haha... Yeah, was wondering also about those dandelions in my garden.
__________________
50% off on all Varieties of Dahlia Tubers at http://www.lynchcreekdahlias.com
Old 29-05-2011, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default urg on GardenSAlley.com (was Weed free garden anyone?)

On Sun, 29 May 2011 Janet wrote:

I have just taken a look at GardenAlley dotcom. Like gardenbanter,it's
a website which acquires posts from urg to populate its website. But there
the similarity ends.

Unlike gardenbaneter, Garden alley makes no mention of usenet m
uk.rec.gardening, or the fact the material comes from elsewhere. They have
in fact renamed urg's content

"Gardening in the UK- yet another gardening in the United Kingdom forum"

In which case it's a good thing that the weekly "Welcome" message states
clearly that this is uk.rec.gardening. Maybe I'll alter the intro to
make it even clearer! ;-)

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 29-05-2011, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:26:14 +0000,
(Dalinda) wrote:

a reply to an urg post of mine, written a year ago

Sheesh! I nearly had a panic over missing posts until I realised the
original message was from June last year.

I have just taken a look at GardenAlley dotcom. Like gardenbanter,it's
a website which acquires posts from urg to populate its website. But there
the similarity ends.

Unlike gardenbaneter, Garden alley makes no mention of usenet m
uk.rec.gardening, or the fact the material comes from elsewhere. They have
in fact renamed urg's content

"Gardening in the UK- yet another gardening in the United Kingdom forum"

What's more, they do not honour x-no-archive.
Of the urglers names and addresses involuntarily preserved for posterity
on their website they say

http://www.gardenalley.com/privacy.php

"We do not control the privacy policies of our business partners,
advertisers, sponsors or other sites to which we provide hyperlinks.
GardenAlley.com users should also be aware that, when you voluntarily
disclose personal information in chat areas or bulletin boards, that
information may be collected by others and may result in unsolicited
messages from others.

And as the final joy, Gardenalley..and all its current articles from urg
are on display in Facebook.

Janet

Look at all the extra free advertising for those who post with a business in
their signature. Is that not what they want?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 29-05-2011, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default GARDENALLEY.com is run by idiots was urg on GardenAlley.com

On Sun, 29 May 2011 01:14:47 +0100, Janet wrote:

I have just taken a look at GardenAlley dotcom. Like
gardenbanter,it's
a website which acquires posts from urg to populate its website. But
there the similarity ends.

Unlike gardenbaneter, Garden alley makes no mention of usenet m
uk.rec.gardening, or the fact the material comes from elsewhere. They
have in fact renamed urg's content

I've looked on the wayback machine and it looks like they did until
fairly recently.

What's more, they do not honour x-no-archive.
Of the urglers names and addresses involuntarily preserved for
posterity
on their website they say

http://www.gardenalley.com/privacy.php

And no means of contact except a form.

"We do not control the privacy policies of our business partners,
advertisers, sponsors or other sites to which we provide hyperlinks.
GardenAlley.com users should also be aware that, when you voluntarily
disclose personal information in chat areas or bulletin boards, that
information may be collected by others and may result in unsolicited
messages from others.

And as the final joy, Gardenalley..and all its current articles from
urg
are on display in Facebook.

I wonder what FaceBook will have to say about that?

Warwick

Old 29-05-2011, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote

Janet wrote:

I have just taken a look at GardenAlley dotcom. Like gardenbanter,it's
a website which acquires posts from urg to populate its website. But
there
the similarity ends.

Unlike gardenbaneter, Garden alley makes no mention of usenet m
uk.rec.gardening, or the fact the material comes from elsewhere. They
have
in fact renamed urg's content

"Gardening in the UK- yet another gardening in the United Kingdom forum"

In which case it's a good thing that the weekly "Welcome" message states
clearly that this is uk.rec.gardening. Maybe I'll alter the intro to make
it even clearer! ;-)

This is bad! It will make people think twice before posting to this and
other Newsgroups. I wonder if putting a legal property rights line on ones
signature will allow us to sue these thieving people? Could be a good
earner.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-05-2011, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David Rance" wrote

Janet wrote:

[...]

If anyone is going to be paranoid about their posts being displayed
elsewhere, don't write to 'Letters to the Editor' in local newspapers,
because they get repeated in all sorts of places, AND on the internet. I
regularly write to 1855 local newspapers all over the country to do with my
ex Service Associations. They appear in all sorts of glossy local and
national magazines :-)) which is just what I want :-)) Publicity for the
Association I am writing about at the time.

AND, beware being interviewed on local Radio as well, that will be recorded
and repeated at other times. I know because I have held interviews on nearly
all BBC Local Stations and responses have come in later when the
interview/broadcast has been repeated.

If you don't want publicity, take yourself OUT of the public eye