Old 07-07-2010, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Effects of cold winter

How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2010 13:17, Pam Moore wrote:
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

I lost a twenty year old ball cactus, it had only started flowering the
last few years. Various other plants. However on the plus side the slug
and snail population seems reduced this year.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Can't say I've lost anything, even the one I thought I'd lost, Musa
lasiocarpa, is just sprouting (ready to get hit back next winter!).
One plant that has not grown correctly is a decent sized Hibiscus syriacus
"Diana" which burst into life then got hit by a late frost and then just
burst into life again and stopped. It hasn't done anything more so still
looks exactly as it did in late spring, green buds just broken. Very
strange.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Pam Moore" wrote
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Can't say I've lost anything, even the one I thought I'd lost, Musa
lasiocarpa, is just sprouting (ready to get hit back next winter!).
One plant that has not grown correctly is a decent sized Hibiscus
syriacus "Diana" which burst into life then got hit by a late frost and
then just burst into life again and stopped. It hasn't done anything
more so still looks exactly as it did in late spring, green buds just
broken. Very strange.

I had several Hibiscus syriacus varieties in the ground, and several
more in pots. I seem to have lost all the ones that were in pots.

I lost all my Anisodonteas (but I had cuttings) and Abutilons (but I had
cuttings for most of them), and most of my shrubby Lavateras (the
herbaceous ones seem to have come through).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Pam in Bristol

I don't know about decorstive plants but my fan traineg Victoria plum
set more flower than it has recently (an has a good crop set). My
raspberries and blackberry are producing more new wood than they did
last year. Is it because they had an enforced rest in Dec/Jan and had
time to gather their straenght?

malcolm

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message
Pam Moore wrote:
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants? I lost a
zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Pam in Bristol

I don't know about decorstive plants but my fan traineg Victoria plum set
more flower than it has recently (an has a good crop set). My raspberries
and blackberry are producing more new wood than they did last year. Is it
because they had an enforced rest in Dec/Jan and had time to gather their
straenght?

malcolm

I have to say most of my shrubs are bigger and better than ever :-)

kate

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

I planted some Disporum smithii seeds I got from a nursery in Shetland in
autumn 2006. They sprouted OK, I kept them in a heated greenhouse over the
winter, they did nothing at all in the summer, and this went on and on, with
nothing really happening and the plants no more than about 2 mm high, if
even alive. They struggled through every winter and I was convinced they
were dead. Eventually last autumn I threw the small pots out of the
greenhouse door, intending to tidy up later (months later, as it happened).
It was freezing in the garden over much of the winter as we all know.

But then when I began clearing up in around March time this year - lo and
behold, I found the pots on their sides with quite large plants in them. In
fact, this spring they flowered for the first time!

So I know what to do this winter: leave them out to fend for themselves.

My Zantedeschias and Agapanthus are planted in the ground, and even though I
wrapped them with bubble wrap and stuff, they're not looking very good. I
don't think they'll flower for a couple of years.

someone

Old 08-07-2010, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 12:17*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants? *
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Pam in Bristol

Ditto here. Quite a few things appeared the worse for wear, but
recovered, including my West of Ireland fuschia which was all dry
brittle twigs from ground level up, but shot up merrily from the
bottom from mid May onwards. However, I am so far seeing no flower on
it.
In my region, (East Midlands of Ireland) all the cordilyne australis
perished. Or so I thought. I recently spotted little green spikes on
the side of tall trunks on some of my neighbours' ones. My own were
only 2 to 2.5m tall, so still covered in leaves from top to bottom
(dried leaves at the bottom, but no bare stem yet). I have not seen
anything coming on on mine, but have decided to give them another
while before cutting them down.

Caít()
Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Like Bob, I thought I'd lost the Musella lasiocarpa that has been
established here for a good 6 or 7 years. It is making progress now,
although not as quickly as I would like. Hedychiums have been quite a
surprise. A few of the more tender types have gone, but the reputedly
tender H. greenii has sprung to life in the past couple of weeks
despite being frozen solid in its container during the winter.

This summer has seen the best ever performance of Cornus capitata.
This is a slightly tender, evergreen tree from the Himalayas and
produces large creamy yellow bracts that surround the central, green,
globe-like flower head. The bracts remain in good condition for
several weeks before turning pink prior to falling. Later, clusters
of dull red fruits rather like round strawberries are formed, giving
rise to the common name of Himalayan Strawberry Tree. With the
searing winds and bitter cold, I felt sure it would have suffered, but
it has done anything but that.

I lost all but one of my Pelargoniums, even Pato's Unique that had
developed woody gnarled stems almost certain to withstand any frost.
Not! However, Pelargonium 'Beauty of Bath' is thriving. It is a
dwarf zonal raised by an dear, but sadly no longer with us friend of
mine Monica Bennett. I would hate to have lost it and kicked myself
for leaving it outside. Somehow it came through, slowly at at the
start and is looking spry and perky with its first buds showing
vibrant pink against the dusky foliage.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost:
Protea cynaroides
Puya alpestris
Abutilon megapotamicum
Eucalyptus mannifera (but probably fungal disease rather than frost damage)
Campsis radicans
A fremontedendon
A rosemary bush
A cistus
A cardoon/artichoke
A yellow leyland-like cypress
Quite a few bulbs/tubers left in the ground didn't reappear, but then that's normal. But in particular no dahlias reappeared.

Very badly damaged:
Metrosideros umbellata (about 80% of the plant is dead, only a small number of new leaves now appearing on the rest of it, worried about its survival)
Cordyline Australis "torbay red" - frozen to the ground, new shoots now appearing at ground level rather tentatively and small
Eucalyptus nova anglica - doesn't look happy, new leaves barely growing
Eucalyptus pulverulenta - only a few new leaves this season

Quite damaged:
Crinodendron hookeriana - completely defoliated, about half the plant dead, but resprouting vigorously
Sophora tetraptera - completely defoliated, lost a few branches, resprouting OK-ish in what's left
Lapageria rosea - lost about 80%-90% of the upper plant, but now resprouting vigorously
Fuchsia magellanica - upper parts of plant killed, but sprouting vigorously from the roots

Unaffected or barely affected to my surprise:
Pseudopanax crassifolia
Tasmannia (Drymys) lanceolata
Myrtus communis subsp tarentina
Grevillea rosmarinifolia
Desfontainea spinosa
Cordyline australis (plain one)
Hedychium coccineum "Tara"
Trachelospermum "Waterwheel"
Akebia quinata
Lomatia ferruginea
Maytenus boaria
Daphne odora

Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , echinosum
writes
A fremontedendon

I neglected to mention Fremontodendron 'California Glory' among the
plants that I lost.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley