Old 15-08-2010, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwinter an allotment - green manure?

In a couple of months we are off on a 'world tour' until next spring so we
won't be able to do anything to the allotment over autumn/winter/spring.

It would be nice to find a strategy which made the best of this fallow
period.
I presume the alternative is to spray with a weed killer after we have
lifted everything then hope that the plot doesn't get too rampant over
winter.

I have seen several mentions of 'green manure' which sounds like a good
idea.

Are there any recommendations for something which can be planted late
September/early October which will cover the plot without encroaching on our
neighbours and can be dug in after Easter next year?

TIA

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 15-08-2010, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:35:42 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

In a couple of months we are off on a 'world tour' until next spring so we
won't be able to do anything to the allotment over autumn/winter/spring.

It would be nice to find a strategy which made the best of this fallow
period.
I presume the alternative is to spray with a weed killer after we have
lifted everything then hope that the plot doesn't get too rampant over
winter.

I have seen several mentions of 'green manure' which sounds like a good
idea.

Are there any recommendations for something which can be planted late
September/early October which will cover the plot without encroaching on our
neighbours and can be dug in after Easter next year?

TIA

Dave R

Green manure is goodonly if you can dig it in at the right time of
maturity. eg grazing rye can be a devil to dig in if it gets too
deeply rooted. Some will overwinter, some will not. I once sowed
mustard, and when it got to about 8 inches I covered the plot with
black plastic for the winter. In Spring the mustard had rotted down
and the soil was beautifully friable.
However, I would suggest hoeing it off and spreading a really good
layer of wrm. Don't use stuff that may have weed seeds in it, or
you'll find a jungle in Spring.
Just black plastic or old carpet will keep it clean.
Good luck, good travelling.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-08-2010, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
In a couple of months we are off on a 'world tour' until next spring so we
won't be able to do anything to the allotment over autumn/winter/spring.

It would be nice to find a strategy which made the best of this fallow
period.
I presume the alternative is to spray with a weed killer after we have
lifted everything then hope that the plot doesn't get too rampant over
winter.

Covering it with black plastic works.
--

Martin

Just as long as the black plastic is left where you lay it, for the
time you are away.
David
Old 15-08-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

If it can survive the Dutch winter storms, it can survive anything.

I rather doubt that - compared to the north-west of the UK, Holland
isn't all that windy. It's probably windier than the south-east of
the UK, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-08-2010, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:44:17 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Too late for phacelia now, but it's a beautiful ground cover, too
pretty to dig in! I just let it seed about and flower.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-08-2010, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2010 18:48, Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

The problem is more likely to be vandals than wind, don't they have
those in Holland?

Old 16-08-2010, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Aug, 20:31, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:21:02 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 15/08/2010 19:19, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:00:54 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In ,
*wrote:

If it can survive the Dutch winter storms, it can survive
anything.

I rather doubt that - compared to the north-west of the UK, Holland
isn't all that windy. *It's probably windier than the south-east of
the UK, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Zuid Holland in winter is extremely windy, far windier than where
my daughter lives in the north west UK.

Holland must be windier... it is full of windmills! :-)

both ancient and modern.

Blasted things! If they'd only knock them down, there'd be far less
wind.

More seriously, it doesn't take all that much wind-speed over a period
of six months or so to shift a layer of unsupervised plastic sheeting.
When you're at home, you can pop over and check every few days, and nip
any disasters in the bud. I'd weight it down with earth at very close
spacing: maybe tuck it into a narrow trench every five feet or so?

A good layer of cardboard would be good, too: it adds an extra layer of
blackout, and rots down. (I've actually done this; but not while away
from home.)

--
Mike.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking of someone removing iot rather than the wind.
Why not just rough dig it and leavce it for the frost to work on
during the winter, though probably your soil is to fine for that to be
needed.
David Hill

Old 16-08-2010, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...
Moonraker wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Ed wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Not in our allotment it is within the secure area of the site of my former
employer. We do have the occasional thief who steals tools, including two
wheel
barrows, and fruit.
The black sheeting on unused allotments is weighted down with bits of
paving
stones, bricks etc. It is also possible to bury the edges of the sheet in
the
ground to stop the wind getting under the sheet. The allotments are less
than a
mile from the North Sea and in an unsheltered location. Most winters have
at
least one force 10 gales.

We always had a problem with foxes ripping anything on the ground up, fleece
didn't last 24 hours. If you use plastic sheeting then use Mypex ground
cover fabric, it lets the water/air through but stops the weeds. More
expensive but much better and more robust than plastic sheeting, it will
last a very long time and is ideal for planting strawberries through for
example.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-08-2010, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Martin" wrote ...
Moonraker wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Ed wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

That makes a very expensive alternative!
I wonder how long it would be before it pays for its self.

http://www.allplaz.com/

Nothing against it but what price does one draw the line between home
grown and supermarket veg?
Good old fashioned digging and weeding regime is always the most
practical and economical, but not in the op case I think.
Nice idea though, the Mypex.
Old 16-08-2010, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Escargo" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

snip
We always had a problem with foxes ripping anything on the ground up,
fleece didn't last 24 hours. If you use plastic sheeting then use
Mypex ground cover fabric, it lets the water/air through but stops the
weeds. More expensive but much better and more robust than plastic
sheeting, it will last a very long time and is ideal for planting
strawberries through for example.

That makes a very expensive alternative!
I wonder how long it would be before it pays for its self.

http://www.allplaz.com/

Nothing against it but what price does one draw the line between home
grown and supermarket veg?
Good old fashioned digging and weeding regime is always the most
practical and economical, but not in the op case I think.
Nice idea though, the Mypex.

At first look this doesn't look prohibitive.
The 8 metre wide black plastic at £4.41 per metre should cover a lot of
ground quite cheaply.
Now to measure up.
One slight drawback to our 5 rod plot is that it is an irregular shape.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

How to Overwinter a Potted Brown Turkey fiG? Boron Elgar Edible Gardening 10 04-09-2004 12:11 PM
How to Overwinter a Potted Brown Turkey fiG? Boron Elgar Edible Gardening 0 29-08-2004 04:37 PM
goldfish fry overwinter Skippy Ponds 3 21-09-2003 11:05 PM
Anacharis, does it overwinter? Douglas Bolt Ponds 9 30-03-2003 03:08 AM
eccremocarpus scaber - overwinter? Big Al United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:06 PM