Old 30-09-2010, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Guess what I heard and saw?

Bob Hobden wrote:

Then on the same trip there was the Ozzy shouting "Don't step back" at
me as my head was 6inches from a "Funnel Web", and my cousin in Adelaide
saying "If you go in the garage don't put your hand on anything unless
you look well first, there are Red Backs in there"!

And be careful if you go in The Shed - there are rednecks loose.

Or loose rednecks.

Or both.
--
Rusty
Old 30-09-2010, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

If you can't actually hold a spider, try staying close to it until your
level of anxiety drops. It will eventually help you cope with difficult
encounters, as will Tina's ploy of dealing with smaller spiders. After
all, with your petticoats around your ears, you can't run very fast! :~))

Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

--
Rusty
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On a Yugoslavia holiday we saw two young lads walking into a bar in the
reception area, their eyes riveted on the floor.
When they got nearer we saw they were following 4" long milli/centi/pede
gliding along at a human walking pace.... Spooky!

I was thinking of those.

I find those quite cuddly, but I did grow up with ones that size or
larger :-) The same is true of fairly large spiders, of course,
but I am phobic about them (for reasons I know).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/09/2010 23:22, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Spider wrote:

If you can't actually hold a spider, try staying close to it until
your level of anxiety drops. It will eventually help you cope with
difficult encounters, as will Tina's ploy of dealing with smaller
spiders. After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you can't
run very fast! :~))

Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On a Yugoslavia holiday we saw two young lads walking into a bar in the
reception area, their eyes riveted on the floor.
When they got nearer we saw they were following 4" long milli/centi/pede
gliding along at a human walking pace.... Spooky!

I was thinking of those.

I find those quite cuddly, but I did grow up with ones that size or
larger :-) The same is true of fairly large spiders, of course,
but I am phobic about them (for reasons I know).

There is nothing but big spiders that freak me out. I blame in on my
grandfather.
When I was very small I used to accompany him everywhere when he did his
gardening. I'm sure he got fed up with it and one day when I was in the
greenhouse with him, he said to me "you see that little boiler over there?
(it was a rusty unused little stove in the greenhouse) Me: "Yes" Him in
an evil voice "well, there is a spider as big as robin in there."
I can't remember whether it was before or after I asked him "what is that is
that plant?" and he said "mind your own business"
I was a sensitive child and I fled back to the house, crying. My
grandmother marched down the garden to confront him - he got away with that
one, it was called that, but I never told her about that spider that was as
big as a robin.

Tina

Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

If you can't actually hold a spider, try staying close to it until
your level of anxiety drops. It will eventually help you cope with
difficult encounters, as will Tina's ploy of dealing with smaller
spiders. After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you can't
run very fast! :~))

Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?

She did it on purpose, so I could catch 'er, yer'onner!

--
Rusty
Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

If you can't actually hold a spider, try staying close to it until
your level of anxiety drops. It will eventually help you cope with
difficult encounters, as will Tina's ploy of dealing with smaller
spiders. After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you can't
run very fast! :~))

Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?

I'd pay good money to see Rusty running with his petticoats in any
position! ;-)

Whit's worrrn under the kilt?

Naethin' it's a' in perrrfect worrrkin' orrrderrr!

--
Rusty
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

If you can't actually hold a spider, try staying close to it until
your level of anxiety drops. It will eventually help you cope with
difficult encounters, as will Tina's ploy of dealing with smaller
spiders. After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you can't
run very fast! :~))
Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?

I'd pay good money to see Rusty running with his petticoats in any
position! ;-)

Though he'd probably need to be well oiled first!

I'm open to pecuniary persuasion, you know.

--
Rusty
Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

[...]

I can relate to that, but Uncle Bert was kinder, and used to show us
round the garden, telling us the name of the vegetables, and the two
white ducks called Doris and Dorothy.

Some time later, we discovered that my younger sister always referred to
frogs as "Kwolliflowers" for some strange reason.

Uncle Bert burst out laughing when my parents told him, because he
sussed out that when he had been pointing at a cauliflower and saying
its name, little Sis had been looking at a frog alongside it...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

I love these sort of childhood gardening stories!
Actually my grandfather was usually very kind, I must have got on his nerves
that day with my continual "why?" and "what is that?" and "can I do that?"
when he was pricking out. I'm sure the interest I have in plants and
wildlife is down to him.
I had a much better relationship with him than his own children had,
apparently - they were all afraid of him I found out much later. Probably
because he had to work away during the 30's depression and never got to know
them properly.
My youngest uncle (born in 1939) tells me grandfather was fascinated by me
as I called him "Drandrad", insisted on him helping me with my "nite & tort"
(knife and fork) and showed him love.
He was not a demonstrative man having had quite a harsh Edwardian upbringing
as a gamekeeper,s son when the only function for his own father in the home
was to punish his children.
It's so sad.

Tina

Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-01 17:28:53 +0100, Spider said:

On 30/09/2010 23:22, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Spider wrote:

[...]
After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you
can't run very fast! :~))

Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?

I'd pay good money to see Rusty running with his petticoats in any
position! ;-)

Whit's worrrn under the kilt?

Naethin' it's a' in perrrfect worrrkin' orrrderrr!

Och, it's gruesome!

Look again, and ye'll see it's grew some mair!

--
Mike.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-01 17:28:53 +0100, Spider said:

On 30/09/2010 23:22, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Spider wrote:

[...]
After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you
can't run very fast! :~))
Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?
I'd pay good money to see Rusty running with his petticoats in any
position! ;-)

Whit's worrrn under the kilt?

Naethin' it's a' in perrrfect worrrkin' orrrderrr!

Och, it's gruesome!

Look again, and ye'll see it's grew some mair!

Aye, that's why ma sporran's sae heavy.

--
Rusty
Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

My paternal grandfather was the manager of a mill when they were in
their heyday. He was a fierce man, with a waxed and pointed
moustache, and I just remember him as a tall, distant figure, though I
am told I played Ludo with my bedridden grandma.
Grandad used to booze away 2/3 of his salary, leaving his wife to raise
3 sons and 3 daughters (comfortably) on the rest.
The strict discipline passed down the paternal line, according to my
children, though becoming more relaxed (I hope)!

I seem to get on well with everyone else's grandchildren, some in their
20s, but mine are scattered in Australia and California, to my deep
regret.

Bit off topic now, but I'm steadily tidying the garden and pruning
shrubs when the weather allows.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

If you can't actually hold a spider, try staying close to it until
your level of anxiety drops. It will eventually help you cope with
difficult encounters, as will Tina's ploy of dealing with smaller
spiders. After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you can't
run very fast! :~))

Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?

I'd pay good money to see Rusty running with his petticoats in any
position! ;-)

Best not encourage him, eh? :~), although RG once wore a skirt to work
for charity. Sorry, no pics (

Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

If you can't actually hold a spider, try staying close to it until
your level of anxiety drops. It will eventually help you cope with
difficult encounters, as will Tina's ploy of dealing with smaller
spiders. After all, with your petticoats around your ears, you can't
run very fast! :~))

Darn sight faster than with them round your ankles...

:~) Presumably you're not speaking from experience?

I'd pay good money to see Rusty running with his petticoats in any
position! ;-)

Though he'd probably need to be well oiled first!

Is he *that* rusty, then?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Guess Who I Saw Today Way Back Jack[_10_] Gardening 27 30-04-2012 01:32 PM
Wow, I guess I don't need a grow light Michael Shaffer Ponds 2 06-11-2003 03:02 AM
Breakfast Guess Barbara2245 Ponds 8 01-07-2003 09:25 PM
any clematis experts want to give a guess at this particlar cultivar? xcitor Gardening 1 13-05-2003 04:44 PM
OK...Indoors it is I guess-more questions... TS Orchids 5 13-03-2003 05:08 AM