Old 15-10-2010, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 10:14, Bill Grey wrote:
wrote in message
In ,
says...

wrote in message
In ,
says...
receives such attention while a another thread asking for advice on a
gardening question goes un-noticed?

Maybe it didn't appear, or nobody knew the answer. This is a
discussion group, not an advice bureau.

This is a true statement according to the grop's charter however where
does
askin for advice and a discussion on the subect start and finish. Just
make my point on the question of this being a discussion group not an
advice
bureau , consider the number of questions that have been asked and
"duscussed" since the beining of this mont.

I list six - and there are more,........all questions!

"Opening Kilner jars"
"Potatoes"
"Fishtail" Camelia"
"Aristea"
"Carrots"
"Gay" feather"

And your point is what exactly?

I shouldn't have to explain this if you'd been following the postings .

Before you and one other tries to patronise me further just just get off
your high horse before you fall off.

It did appear

The fact it appeared on YOUR screen does not guarantee, it propagated
round all our servers to all our newsreaders. Posts very often get lost
; which is why we suggest that if there's no response, the sender should
repost it.

I'm sure more that I use IE for bowser. The question to which I
referred
was responded to but without a semblance of an answer., thefore it did
appear.

If you post the message ID of the missing/ignored post then it can be
checked. There are no guarantees that Usenet message propogates OK, and
network timing at different servers can result in two or more people
making essentially the same reply being unaware of the other.

For the record - if I have information that I consider helpful to
someone, I
dont hesitate to offer any
assistance I can.

Fair enough, but if no-one has seen this mythical post of yours then it
stands no chance of being answered.

BTW who ever said it was my post, it was in fact mine,
and it is very strange that everything else I've posted has appeared, and
been responded to withonsiderable vehemence - why? I don't know.

I asked a quite ordinary question which had pne rather odd reply but no
more. Subsequesnt postings have generated a lot of heat more through
quessing than fact.

Bill

Old 15-10-2010, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-15 10:14:38 +0100, "Bill Grey" said:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

I don't understand the reason for this list, Bill? We discuss a number of
gardening subjects here and sometimes thread drift occurs. Or sometimes
people ask an OT question ecause they feel they 'know' members of this
group will be ablel to help. So, as the person who started the Fishtail
Camellia thread, I'm wondering what this is all about. It was a reasonable
thread for a gardening group and it got some helpful replies - situation
normal! Are you trying to say people shouldn't ask questions that then
turn into discussions? As people have said, not every question gets an
answer because it may be that people don't have one!

www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Sacha, I have always respected your point of view epressed in your many
postings. What you've written above surprises me.

I was told quite categorically that this newsgroup was a discussion group
not an advice bureau. I took this to mean that as I had asked a question
and I was s out of order expecting a reply...see the quote in the earler
paragrah above.

If my question appeared to contradict the newgroup Charter then so did the
six question above and so did the others I've not quoted . How would you
have reacted to such a blunt statement as
I quote -

"This is a discussion group, not an advice bureau."

Questions are frequently asked and discussed but when I ask a question ,
then get no reply and ask why, I get this harsh treatment.

That is not the treatment I expect from posters on this group.

BTW for Martin's sake I trust the above ansewers yur question

Bill

Old 15-10-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/2010 15:08, Bill Grey wrote:
"Martin wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 10:14, Bill Grey wrote:
wrote in message
In ,
says...

wrote in message
[...]

I cannot read your mind! You seem to have huge misconceptions about
Usenet which Janet attempted to correct. Granted she tends to be a bit
abrupt but what she said was accurate and was at one time in the Usenet
FAQ pretty much verbatim. No-one is obliged to answer your questions on
Usenet and answers given may range from the helpful to the downright
misleading and utterly bizarre raving loony fringe.
(take a look at sci.astro for instance)

Threads usually start with a question, but not all questions get
answered. It isn't uncommon for them to drift away from the original
topic either so thread titles can be misleading.

Advice on Usenet is worth exactly what you paid for it and in some cases
a lot less. eg. uk.legal does have some helpful souls, but it has a lot
of complete nutters whose advice would get you in serious trouble.

[...]

An educated guess.

and it is very strange that everything else I've posted has appeared, and
been responded to withonsiderable vehemence - why? I don't know.

You seem to have a very thin skin.

I asked a quite ordinary question which had pne rather odd reply but no
more. Subsequesnt postings have generated a lot of heat more through
quessing than fact.

If you posted the msgid or thread title then those of us with some
knowledge of how Usenet works could look for it. FX: Quick scan.

I presume you are whinging about the pruning thread where apart from a
couple of spelling pedants you got no replies for a couple of days and
then took the hump and posted "thanks for your help".

As a general rule you can prune most things after they have finished
flowering or in autumn. But it helps to know if they are eg tip bearing
fruit trees or pyracantha if you want decent fruit set next year. A few
things with a tendency to rot or fungal infection have to be done at
exactly the right time of year and/or weather conditions.

Sambucus is pretty much a rampant weed unless it is the black cultivar.
I'd say inadvisable to grow the wild form in a small garden.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-10-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-10-13 16:08:34 +0100, Baz said:

A few days ago I decided to turn over some copost, a job I hate but we have
to do it.
On Saturday one of my neighbours asked me to temporarily move the
heap so
he could have sone elbow room to point up his garage, guess what I did.
Stabbed a hedgehog behind its front leg with my fork.
I thought it too early for hibernation in mid October.
Anyway we all panicked a bit and daughter tried ringing her vet but
its
Saturday afternoon and they are closed. Neighbours wife found a number for
the RSPCA.
Monday daughter rings her vet because RSPCA has not shown and vet rings
RSPCA to find out when they will attend and they say "sometime today" so no
need to get another vets bill.
Today is Wednesday and the RSPCA have graced us with their
appearance.
Sadly he or she died and probably in great pain early on Tuesday morning.
He tried to bollo*k us for wasting his time for christs sake.
If my daughter was not so small he would have had one on the chin.
Baz

I've experienced similar dilatoriness and overall lack of any sense of
urgency. It ensures that I will never give another penny piece to the
RSPCA. I very much hope you're going to report this to their HQ.

The only thing the RSPCA are interested in is persecuting dog owners.
They want a dog tax introduced so that they can then cream some money of
in the name of animal welfare.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 15-10-2010, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BAC
writes

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .

On 2010-10-13 18:00:48 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:44:22 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I very much hope you're going to report this to their HQ.

With a CC to the tabloids...

snip

Tabloids, you mean like the Sun, Daily Star etc.
Never, I am working class but I detest tabloids no news just hype and nude
ladies.
My daughter has been talking to our local press and I think they are going
to see us about a story with a rep from the RSPCA.
Can you imagine how that is going to go.
Tomorrow the local press
Sunday the RSPCA
Never the twain.

If a story in the local media is interesting enough, the nationals will
probably pick it up.

Don't forget your local (BBC) radio station.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 15-10-2010, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:10:11 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

Many years ago my mate's dog (big daft retriever) ran into the road and
caused a van to swerve to avoid it and finish on its roof.
The cost of any injury to the dog was the least of his worries, and he
was lucky not to be sued for injury/damage to the van driver.

After that the dog was kept under close control.

A lot of home insurance policies now seem to cover liability for
accidents caused by a dog - both my current and last insurers said
that taking that clause out of the policy wouldn't reduce my premium.

That's annoying when you don't have a dog.
Like the car insurance risk when you keep your car in a locked garage
rather than leave it at the kerbside.
Sorry, that's drifting even further off topic...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-10-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-15 10:14:38 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

I am long accustomed to the manner of that particular poster!

Questions are frequently asked and discussed but when I ask a question ,
then get no reply and ask why, I get this harsh treatment.

That is not the treatment I expect from posters on this group.

BTW for Martin's sake I trust the above ansewers yur question

Bill

Nobody speaks for everyone else, you know! But FWIW I think there are
crossed wires here. It IS a discussion group and as a result people often
ask for, get and give advice. But what the Charter doesn't do is
*promise* that advice will be given or questions answered. You'll also see
conflicting opinions and the manner of expressing them can become a bit
heated! But on the whole, if you have a question someone can answer, I'm
sure they will. But you can't *expect* an answer to a post - either
there's nobody who knows the answer, or the subject doesn't interest
people. And again, FWIW, many people - if not most - have a very keen
interest on the wildlife that comes into their garden because there is a
valuable interaction between wildlife and garden pests, to say nothing of
the great pleasure we get from seeing the creatures.g.

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Thanks for your reply I understand the charter and I do not expect an
reply/answer to a posting.
I am generally very easy going but cannot fail to respond to the sort of
personal patronisation to which I've been exposed .

On reading some of my postings I've notices several typos. Thes are a result
of my not being very adept at typing on my laptop. I'm sure what I've wrtten
has ben understood or guessed correctly. I apologise for any apparent
spelling errors. They weren't errors when they left my brain but were in the
lap of the gods when they arrived at the keyboard

Bill

Old 15-10-2010, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin wrote in message

As a general rule you can prune most things after they have finished
flowering or in autumn. But it helps to know if they are eg tip bearing
fruit trees or pyracantha if you want decent fruit set next year. A few
things with a tendency to rot or fungal infection have to be done at
exactly the right time of year and/or weather conditions.

Ah so you did see my question! I I had taken the hup as you call it I would
have raied the poit earlier

Sambucus is pretty much a rampant weed unless it is the black cultivar.
I'd say inadvisable to grow the wild form in a small garden.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thank you the pruning advice, see how easy it is to respond to a simple
question?
Just for the record mine is the Sambucus nigra (Black Lace) which I believe
is a relative of the Elderberry. From you advice above, I take I can now
trim back my Photinia.

Bill

Old 15-10-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin wrote in message

As a general rule you can prune most things after they have finished
flowering or in autumn. But it helps to know if they are eg tip bearing
fruit trees or pyracantha if you want decent fruit set next year. A few
things with a tendency to rot or fungal infection have to be done at
exactly the right time of year and/or weather conditions.

Ah so you did see my question! I I had taken the hup as you call it I would
have raied the poit earlier

Only after I knew that you started the thread and it was fairly recent.

Sambucus is pretty much a rampant weed unless it is the black cultivar.
I'd say inadvisable to grow the wild form in a small garden.

Thank you the pruning advice, see how easy it is to respond to a simple
question?

If you take this sort of condescending attitude to help when it is given
then you will quickly find yourself in my kill file.

Just for the record mine is the Sambucus nigra (Black Lace) which I believe
is a relative of the Elderberry. From you advice above, I take I can now
trim back my Photinia.

I don't know anything about pruning Photinia specifically that is why I
didn't answer it originally. And you should be more patient - there are
plenty of people who only post here at weekends.

Threads are either interesting or not - yours wasn't.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 15-10-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Nobody speaks for everyone else, you know! But FWIW I think there are
crossed wires here. It IS a discussion group and as a result people often
ask for, get and give advice. But what the Charter doesn't do is
*promise* that advice will be given or questions answered. You'll also see
conflicting opinions and the manner of expressing them can become a bit
heated! But on the whole, if you have a question someone can answer, I'm
sure they will. But you can't *expect* an answer to a post - either
there's nobody who knows the answer, or the subject doesn't interest
people. And again, FWIW, many people - if not most - have a very keen
interest on the wildlife that comes into their garden because there is a
valuable interaction between wildlife and garden pests, to say nothing of
the great pleasure we get from seeing the creatures.

It is when we are expected to tolerate cats in the wildlife scenario that
things go wrong.

btw Please do not forget snippo - snippo

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2010, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

A lot of home insurance policies now seem to cover liability for
accidents caused by a dog -

Within the boundaries of the property, surely? Not on the public
highway.

No, the legal liability cover that comes with most home insurance
policies covers you for damage/injury you your pets children etc. cause
anywhere - well in the UK anyway I guess.

The main restriction is it doesn't cover you for driving a motorized
vehicle, but then they are separately insured.
--
Chris French

Old 15-10-2010, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
I am generally very easy going but cannot fail to respond to the sort of
personal patronisation to which I've been exposed .

Oh god, my irony radar just dropped off ...
Old 15-10-2010, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Bill Grey wrote:
I am generally very easy going but cannot fail to respond to the sort
of personal patronisation to which I've been exposed .

Oh god, my irony radar just dropped off ...

:-) then you havent scanned properly if it's just dropped off!
Wish I could bottle it.So much about.

Would have enough for the 2012 olympics.

Old 15-10-2010, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Charities was Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

"Martin" wrote in message

Sorry, Martin - just too many figures for my tiny brain to cope with !

Headlines indeed (:-(

I was hoping you could explain some of them :-)
--

Martin

Oh! No -' Fraid not, I am just a simple English* (note the E---- Baz)
amateur
gardener and retired banker, trying to forget £sd type figures(:-(

Peter

More berries mean a hard winter - old wives tale? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 45 18-04-2004 06:00 AM
"Tale of Woe"... suggestions? BTC/TAK on ACK Ponds 39 18-02-2004 01:32 PM
A tale of two Walmart String Trimmers Jim Gilliland Lawns 3 12-08-2003 04:43 PM
Woe is me Chookie Australia 1 26-05-2003 10:21 AM
another bagged rose tale, and question about Christian Dior sub-strains torgo Roses 0 16-03-2003 09:44 PM