Old 14-10-2010, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

Default Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

"Baz" wrote in message
Janet wrote in
:

For future reference; vets don't just work their office hours.
If you telephone out of business hours your call will be transferred
to the on-call practice vet (or, the on-call locum service).

Janet

Yes the vets receptionist said a similar thing on Monday.
I think that we just panicked at the time and if we had rung the vet would
have had a recorded messege or something.
All too late now unfortunatly.

Why didn't you take the 'hog to the vets on Monday?

Old 14-10-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
I bought them with a prescription for £5 /100.

Prices varied, but that was the least I paid for them.

But you needed the vet and are complaining it cost £7 to put your cat
right!!

I was happy to pay to have my dog (get your animals right) treated, but the
relative cost of the tablets (a minor portion of the whole treatment) was
out of proportion to the actual cost of the medicine.

Bill

Old 14-10-2010, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

On 2010-10-13 18:00:48 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:44:22 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I very much hope you're going to report this to their HQ.

With a CC to the tabloids...

snip

Tabloids, you mean like the Sun, Daily Star etc.
Never, I am working class but I detest tabloids no news just hype and nude
ladies.
My daughter has been talking to our local press and I think they are going
to see us about a story with a rep from the RSPCA.
Can you imagine how that is going to go.
Tomorrow the local press
Sunday the RSPCA
Never the twain.

If a story in the local media is interesting enough, the nationals will
probably pick it up.

Old 14-10-2010, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message

Following your above comments I googled and found astonishingly that of
the
monies collected only a small % as little as 4% actually goes where
donors
money is intended.

Which charity are you referring to and what is the source?

Janet

Presumably one of the minor "charities".
Those such as the RSPCA and the RNLI are too big not to get sussed
were they to go down the 4% or similar route.

Regards
Pete

Old 14-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Monday daughter rings her vet because RSPCA has not shown and vet rings
RSPCA to find out when they will attend and they say "sometime today" so no
need to get another vets bill.

Today is Wednesday and the RSPCA have graced us with their appearance.
Sadly he or she died and probably in great pain early on Tuesday morning.
The main interest of the RSPCA is in preventing cruelty to animals, which is why they are called that. Fixing up injured wild animals is not actually one o fthe central aims of the organisation. They do do a bit of it, on the side, but other organisations such as St Tiggywinkles are specifically dedicated to wildlife rehabilitation. RSPCA's own advice, on their website, if you have an injured animal is to contact a local vet or a wildlife rehabilitation centre or volunteer. RSPCA do have some such centres, but this is on a "what we can do and where we can do it" basis.

So I find it odd that the vet apparently thought to contact the RSPCA.

When we found a distressed bat on our property, and did not understand the above, not knowing what else to do, we also contacted the RSPCA. They were very helpful, but at no point indicated that it would be possible for them to take it off our hands. Rather they told us what to do ourselves. Which we did. Fortunately this did not involve any medical procedures, so we could.

I would lay into the RSPCA for all sorts of other reasons. But criticising them for failing to do something they don't really claim to do seems a bit much.
Old 14-10-2010, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:35:14 +0200, Martin wrote:

The RNLI doesn't appear to be registered as a charity. Odd??

RNLI is a registered charity number 209603.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk...idiaryNumber=0

Bit rusty on boaty matters is our Martin !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 14-10-2010, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

A few days ago I decided to turn over some copost, a job I hate
but we have
to do it.

On Saturday one of my neighbours asked me to temporarily move the
heap so
he could have sone elbow room to point up his garage, guess what I
did. Stabbed a hedgehog behind its front leg with my fork.

I thought it too early for hibernation in mid October.

Anyway we all panicked a bit and daughter tried ringing her vet
but its Saturday afternoon and they are closed.

For future reference; vets don't just work their office hours.
If you telephone out of business hours your call will be
transferred to the on-call practice vet (or, the on-call locum
service).

Janet

I was referred to an out-of-hours vet organisgation when my dog was
ill. He was being treated for epililesy and barbiturates were the
medicine. He had been given a dose of 2 tablets and I was charged
£7. I could buy the tablets for £5 per 100. A definite rip-off.

Did your dog live? If so, was it it a rip off for £7 out of hours?
If you thought your dog was dying and the vet could save it, how much
would you pay?
Tina

An innapropriate consideration. You seem to support emotional
blackmail.
Whether or not my dog died is irrelevant. To pop two phenobarbitone
tablets in his mouth for £7 the cost of which would have been 2/100 x
£5 (i.e. 10p) is extortionate

As for being out of hours, the establishment was set up as such and no
vet was "called out" to treat him. The cost of the "hospitalisation"
was considerable and for the the whole package I paid gladly.

Just to put things into perspective, it costs far more to insure my
labrador that it costs to insure my Volvo V70. Emotional blackmail
prevails.

Bill

Your Mathematics need more work friend.

I am aware I can make mistakes, what is my error this time? Always willing
to learn.

Bill

Old 14-10-2010, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

I cant remember but I have difficulty with this,

Whether or not my dog died is irrelevant. To pop two phenobarbitone
tablets in his mouth for £7 the cost of which would have been 2/100
x £5 (i.e. 10p) is extortionate

No I dont. My appologies, Bill, I read it wrong.
My error, Im sorry. I should connect fingers/keyboard/brain.

Baz

Old 14-10-2010, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
I bought them with a prescription for £5 /100.

Prices varied, but that was the least I paid for them.

But you needed the vet and are complaining it cost £7 to put your cat
right!!

I was happy to pay to have my dog (get your animals right)

sorry about that

treated, but the
relative cost of the tablets (a minor portion of the whole treatment) was
out of proportion to the actual cost of the medicine.

I fail to see why you have a problem with this - out-of-hours costs more and
you are lucky that your vets stay up all night here, as I have it on good
authority from my USA friends that it does not happen there. They have
office hours 9-5 and for night or weekend emergencies they pay BIG bucks and
I mean big.
Stop moaning about £7 for a tablet that was needed out of hours.
You were lucky, not ripped off.
Tina

Old 14-10-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

No I dont. My appologies, Bill, I read it wrong.
My error, Im sorry. I should connect fingers/keyboard/brain.

Baz

Perhaps you could connect your brain towards spelling correctly the word you
need to use so often !
I cannot however accept your apology on behalf of Bill.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 14-10-2010, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

rusty on boaty matters is our Martin !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Martin owns a boat and sails it regularly!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Perhaps he is just a bit rusty on RNLI waters matters then (:-)

Pete

Old 15-10-2010, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

On 2010-10-13 16:08:34 +0100, Baz said:

A few days ago I decided to turn over some copost, a job I hate but we
have
to do it.

On Saturday one of my neighbours asked me to temporarily move the heap so
he could have sone elbow room to point up his garage, guess what I did.
Stabbed a hedgehog behind its front leg with my fork.

I thought it too early for hibernation in mid October.

Anyway we all panicked a bit and daughter tried ringing her vet but its
Saturday afternoon and they are closed. Neighbours wife found a number
for
the RSPCA.
Monday daughter rings her vet because RSPCA has not shown and vet rings
RSPCA to find out when they will attend and they say "sometime today" so
no
need to get another vets bill.

Today is Wednesday and the RSPCA have graced us with their appearance.
Sadly he or she died and probably in great pain early on Tuesday morning.

He tried to bollo*k us for wasting his time for christs sake.

If my daughter was not so small he would have had one on the chin.

I've experienced similar dilatoriness and overall lack of any sense of
urgency. It ensures that I will never give another penny piece to the
RSPCA. I very much hope you're going to report this to their HQ.

Why didn't Baz inform the RSPCA om Tuedsay that the hedgehog had died in
which case they would not have need to turn up on Wednesday.

They had probably given up on the RSPCA attending. Why did the RSPCA not
phone to say they couldn't attend in a suitable timescale?

Bill,
PS Strange that this thread which really has no basis in gardening
receives such attention while a another thread asking for advice on a
gardening question goes un-noticed?

Don't know what question you refer to,but presumably no one who read it
(not everyone will read every post, I have limited time for newsgroup
reading and so have to be selective in what I read) had a useful comment
to make Sometimes that haapens.
--
Chris French

Old 15-10-2010, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

But you still had to pay for the vets time.(ok ,not much time I guess,
but I don't know what a vets hourly rate would be but 40-50/hour
wouldn't surprise me esp after hours. £7 wouldn't buy much of that

Just to put things into perspective, it costs far more to insure my labrador
that it costs to insure my Volvo V70. Emotional blackmail prevails.

Generally I consider pet insurance a waste of money. THe small amount of
time a pet is likley to need to see a vet,putting the money awayto help
self cover it makes more sense.
--
Chris French

Old 15-10-2010, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , OG
writes

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Janet wrote in
:

For future reference; vets don't just work their office hours.
If you telephone out of business hours your call will be transferred
to the on-call practice vet (or, the on-call locum service).

Janet

Yes the vets receptionist said a similar thing on Monday.
I think that we just panicked at the time and if we had rung the vet would
have had a recorded messege or something.
All too late now unfortunatly.

Why didn't you take the 'hog to the vets on Monday?

To quote OP:

Monday daughter rings her vet because RSPCA has not shown and vet rings
RSPCA to find out when they will attend and they say "sometime today" so no
need to get another vets bill.

--
Chris French

More berries mean a hard winter - old wives tale? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 45 18-04-2004 06:00 AM
"Tale of Woe"... suggestions? BTC/TAK on ACK Ponds 39 18-02-2004 01:32 PM
A tale of two Walmart String Trimmers Jim Gilliland Lawns 3 12-08-2003 04:43 PM
Woe is me Chookie Australia 1 26-05-2003 10:21 AM
another bagged rose tale, and question about Christian Dior sub-strains torgo Roses 0 16-03-2003 09:44 PM