Old 31-10-2010, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Deliveries

Going out to Tesco this morning I found a screwed op bit of paper
outside our gates, it was a note from a delivery firm called HERMES,
it had been chewed by slugs or snails and had had a few doses of rain
on it.
I managed to decipher something like "vulcr ucim" which I worked out
to mean "Under Van".
Well our gate was open and there was nothing under the van, so I
assume that someone had had helped themselves, as anything under the
van would be in full view of the road.
I managed to find Hermes on google and found a phone number for them.
"Yes you did have a delivery",
"You'll have to take it up with the firm you bought from",
"We have a contract with them",
"No we can't contact the driver, we have a contract with the firm you
bought from"
"You'll have to talk to them".
Ans so on
This is not the first time I have had things delivered by them and
everytime the same thing, just dumped and a card left in or by the
gates.
One time the actualy left a parcel at the side of the gate.
They are cheep and their service is atrocious, as long as you have a
car or van and a garage or somewhere to store deliveries you can work
for them.
I now won't deal with 2 firms that use them, and now there is a 3rd to
go on the blocked list.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 31-10-2010, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2010 12:18, Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

Up to this point they are right. You should demand that the supplier
rectify the situation as you did not sign for the goods. It is better if
you paid by credit card since then you have real leverage.

This is not the first time I have had things delivered by them and
everytime the same thing, just dumped and a card left in or by the
gates.

I actually had one where the goods were signed for, but not by me or at
my delivery address. Beat up the supplier ASAP is my advice.

One time the actualy left a parcel at the side of the gate.
They are cheep and their service is atrocious, as long as you have a
car or van and a garage or somewhere to store deliveries you can work
for them.

Dodgiest ones I have ever seen are the "couriers" that return passports
on behalf of HMG. Their vehicles do not look roadworthy. YMMV

I now won't deal with 2 firms that use them, and now there is a 3rd to
go on the blocked list.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

You should still beat up on the original supplier and demand replacement
of the goods that have been stolen. Their courier failed to deliver the
goods to you securely so it is their responsibility.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 31-10-2010, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in news:8a07c2b8-59d1-4010-
:

[...]

Sadly this is all too familiar.

Baz
Old 31-10-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 05:18:05 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

[various bits snipped out]

Going out to Tesco this morning I found a screwed op bit of paper
outside our gates, it was a note from a delivery firm called HERMES,
it had been chewed by slugs or snails and had had a few doses of rain
on it.
I now won't deal with 2 firms that use them, and now there is a 3rd to
go on the blocked list.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

The local Hermes courier here is a lovely lady. She has got to know
the neighbourhood and if someone is not in to take delivery knows
which other houses to try. She does not leave anything other than with
someone who answers the door.

I think it's all down to locality. You clearly have a less aware
driver!

Here, on the other hand, I won't touch a company that uses CityLink as
its courier. I once ordered some food products - delivered frozen. The
supplier contracted with CityLink for overnight delivery before 10 am
and packed the product in dry ice. At midday, with no delivery, they
reshippped as the product would then have defrosted. Still no delivery
next day. Money refunded. A week later I happened to be in the bedroom
looking out at a CityLink driver (in a plain white van) who sneaked up
the drive and left two boxes in the porch (both required a signature),
didn't ring the door bell or knock the door, simply sneaked back down
the drive and drove off.

And that's not the only local Citylink messup.

As I say, it's locality. Different courier companies perform
differently in different areas. Moan at your suppliers and make sure
they know they won't get your business if they continue to use that
courier. It does work (here the aforementioned supplier now uses a
different courier and no problems).

Jake
Old 31-10-2010, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 31 Oct, 19:40, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 05:18:05 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

wrote:

[various bits snipped out]

[...]

Most of the delivery firms here deliver to my neighbour or phone to
see if they can get me first,
We live about 200 yds from the nursery gates so no where to leave a
note, especialy if you have no idea of when things are going to be
delivered, or by whom.
I tried to get the girl at Hermes head office to contact their driver
to tell them to leave anything for us with a neighbour, "We can't do
that, we have a contract with the firm you ordered from".
I did get straight on to the firm that the wife had ordered from and
they are sending a claims form (By Royal Mail I hope), I told them
about our problems with Hermes.
I think my best incident with a delivery firm (Sarcastic "Best") was
when |I had plants on order, I phoned the supplier to find out when
they were being sent off, to be told they had been sent 4 days
previous, and I was given the shipment number and the carriers name.
I phoned them only to be told (You'll like this)....

"We saw that you are a Nursery, and as it's half term we assumed there
would be no one there so we are holding the delivery for you till
after half term".

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 31-10-2010, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes

"We saw that you are a Nursery, and as it's half term we assumed there
would be no one there so we are holding the delivery for you till
after half term".

LOL :-)
--
Chris French

Old 01-11-2010, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

A couple of years ago I ordered a book from Amazon, and about 2 weeks
later was wondering where it was when a neighbour 2 doors away in our
terrace brought it to me. She'd been away for a few days, came home
to a card from a delivery firm, "parcel in back garden". She's end
terrace and they'd thrown it over the fence. In her absence, with
rain, the slugs and snails had feasted off the Amazon packaging, and
got right through to the hard cover of the book. Luckily Amazon
replaced the book. I hope they no longer use that firm. Same one?
It's just beyond a joke.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

This is not the first time I have had things delivered by them and
everytime the same thing, just dumped and a card left in or by the
gates.

I often used to get cards to collect parcels at the Post Office,
which is actually quite handy. There was an occasion when the
card appeared midweek, and it was Friday before I could visit the
PO. As I passed it across the counter I spotted, on the back,
rather than the bit intended to be filled in, "Parcel in
dustbin". I had a spare dustbin, at the time, and (I think you
may be ahead of me here) the bin men had been very thorough, and
the package had indeed been taken away. Fortunately, the
commercial sender claimed and the parcel was easily replaced.

Last Friday I was in all day, with a parcel expected from DHL.
Nothing was heard, yet that evening the on-line tracking showed
it as "refused delivery". I translate that as, "Ran out of time,
so took it back to depot."

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

chris French wrote:
In message
,
Dave Hill writes

"We saw that you are a Nursery, and as it's half term we assumed
there would be no one there so we are holding the delivery for you
till after half term".

LOL :-)

I'll be retelling that one. But having the name "Abacus" is a pretty
good contribution to giving the wrong impression!

--
Mike.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Nov, 16:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Last Friday I was in all day, with a parcel expected from DHL.
Nothing was heard, yet that evening the on-line tracking showed
it as "refused delivery". I translate that as, "Ran out of time,
so took it back to depot."

I'm working in Leer, Germany, and DHL have a big machine outside with
a cashpoint-like terminal among a myriad of doors. you can bring the
card they put through the door, or a printout from the vendor, and the
correct door opens for you to collect your parcel. You can also send
things and pay for them with your EC cashcard.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Last Friday I was in all day, with a parcel expected from DHL.
Nothing was heard, yet that evening the on-line tracking showed
it as "refused delivery". I translate that as, "Ran out of time,
so took it back to depot."

To be fair to them, they have replied to an email of
disappointment, to explain that, due to the security situation at
East Midlands Airport, their drivers were not able to get out and
deliver. I will forgive them for not having "bomb alert" status
in their menu, but something more appropriate should have been
available.

Chris

Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
chris French wrote:
In message
,
Dave Hill writes

"We saw that you are a Nursery, and as it's half term we assumed
there would be no one there so we are holding the delivery for you
till after half term".

LOL :-)

I'll be retelling that one. But having the name "Abacus" is a pretty
good contribution to giving the wrong impression!

But the conclusion from the wrong impression is a non-sequitur - child
care nurseries do extra business during half-terms.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
But the conclusion from the wrong impression is a non-sequitur - child
care nurseries do extra business during half-terms.

I think there are 2 distinct 'types' of nursery. One where working parents
enroll their kids at 6 months or so old, and they get to pick and choose
when they go, and it costs a fortune - these are the ones that get lots of
holiday time business!

The other, I discovered recently, when my niece got to 3 and started a pre-
school 'nursery', are free*, work on a school timetable (ie, you /have/ to
be there during term time days, and you have to not be there during
holidays!).

I guess if you're not a working parent, it makes sense that the 2nd type are
all you know about!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On 2 Nov 2010 08:54:07 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
But the conclusion from the wrong impression is a non-sequitur -
child care nurseries do extra business during half-terms.

I think there are 2 distinct 'types' of nursery. One where working
parents enroll their kids at 6 months or so old, and they get to
pick and choose when they go, and it costs a fortune - these are the
ones that get lots of holiday time business!

The other, I discovered recently, when my niece got to 3 and started
a pre- school 'nursery', are free*, work on a school timetable (ie,
you /have/ to be there during term time days, and you have to not be
there during holidays!).

I think the (local?) government subsidised nurseries are not free
during school holidays. My grandson attends one, which seems to be
across between the two you describe.

My little grandson goes to one of those for two mornings a week, and it
isn't free at any time. (Well, I hope it's free for some parents.) A
splendid place, I may say, and it was open during the half-term break,
but it's pre-schoolers only, rather than a child-care service.

--
Mike.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:41:23 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

Grandson has to be over three to get a subsidy. I thought it was
available to all.
http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/everychildmat...ce/nurseryfaq/

Ah, thank you. I hadn't troubled my pretty little head with detailed
financial matters.

--
Mike.