Old 18-01-2011, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT but newsgroup /Demon related

I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

I've had a LOT today and it's getting on my nerves. It doesn't seem to
show up in mailwasher so don't know I've got them until i download
messages.

They purport to be sent to me as they are articles from a newsgroup to
which I'm not subscribed (apparently)
Might only apply to those on Demon.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-01-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

I've had a LOT today and it's getting on my nerves. It doesn't seem to
show up in mailwasher so don't know I've got them until i download
messages.

They purport to be sent to me as they are articles from a newsgroup to
which I'm not subscribed (apparently)
Might only apply to those on Demon.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.ukes

Janet I had one hell of a lot of trouble years ago with Demon. It wasn't
helped by a certain person on here, no longer with us, making false
accusations against me. Took ages to get an apology from Demon but I got
one.

Been with BT ever since :-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 18-01-2011, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

I've had a LOT today and it's getting on my nerves. It doesn't seem to
show up in mailwasher so don't know I've got them until i download
messages.

They purport to be sent to me as they are articles from a newsgroup to
which I'm not subscribed (apparently)
Might only apply to those on Demon.

Janet

I'm on demon and not seeing anything. However it might be worth asking
in demon.service
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 19-01-2011, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

I've had a LOT today and it's getting on my nerves. It doesn't seem to
show up in mailwasher so don't know I've got them until i download
messages.

They purport to be sent to me as they are articles from a newsgroup to
which I'm not subscribed (apparently)
Might only apply to those on Demon.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I used to get loads of spam - usually at weekends when I was with Demon and
had my own web-site. I am now with btinternet and don't have a web-site,
therein lies a clue.

Bill

Old 19-01-2011, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , hugh
] writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

I've had a LOT today and it's getting on my nerves. It doesn't seem to
show up in mailwasher so don't know I've got them until i download
messages.

They purport to be sent to me as they are articles from a newsgroup to
which I'm not subscribed (apparently)
Might only apply to those on Demon.

Janet

I'm on demon and not seeing anything. However it might be worth asking
in demon.service

Nope, nothing I haven't subscribed to.

--
Sue ]

Old 23-01-2011, 02:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

I've had a LOT today and it's getting on my nerves. It doesn't seem to
show up in mailwasher so don't know I've got them until i download
messages.

They purport to be sent to me as they are articles from a newsgroup to
which I'm not subscribed (apparently)
Might only apply to those on Demon.

Dunno, I use news.individual.net for newsgroups and they do not allow
anything bad to touch my inbox.

Old 23-01-2011, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
wrote
I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

Turnpike will not send out posts to groups you are not subscribed to.
Are these messages therefore only generated on your own machine when you
n reply and the original post has been cross posted? For instance, if
an article has been cross posted to uk.rec.gardening and japan.garden
and you are only subscribed to uk.rec.gardening any reply to the thread
may result in Turnpike telling you it cannot deliver to japan.garden.

As 99.99% of people don't know how to cross post, except the spammers,
blocking (killing) cross posted articles is a good way of cutting down
the spam in newsgroup posts.

In Turnpike:
To kill crossposted article the rule is /^Newsgroups:.*,/h
--
Alan
Old 23-01-2011, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
I have Demon - is anyone else getting a lot of unsubscribed newsgroup
emails coming from Turnpike_NNTP_Client?

I've had a LOT today and it's getting on my nerves. It doesn't seem to
show up in mailwasher so don't know I've got them until i download
messages.

They purport to be sent to me as they are articles from a newsgroup to
which I'm not subscribed (apparently)
Might only apply to those on Demon.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Have just spotted your post. Have been absent birding.

Assuming you are still using TP, you may find the relevant NG helpful -
demon.ip.support.turnpike. I can't see you have posted there. FYI I was
with Demon for 15 years but finally left for Zen - but still use TP,
which I still think is the best!
HTH .... and apologies for prolonging the OT theme.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 25-01-2011, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan
writes
As 99.99% of people don't know how to cross post, except the spammers,
blocking (killing) cross posted articles is a good way of cutting down
the spam in newsgroup posts.

In Turnpike:
To kill crossposted article the rule is /^Newsgroups:.*,/h

No reading the headers they do seem to be coming from Turnpike for some
reason - however after three days of them (mostly in Russian or at least
characters instead of letters) they have now stopped. Very strange, they
did not come via email but from my newsgroups receiver, yet they came to
my email window NOT the newsgroup one!

Ah well, I ignored them anyway so that's fine. If they Had showed up on
mailwasher first before i downloaded the emails then of course I could
have deleted them first.

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 25-01-2011, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gopher
writes
Hi Janet,

Have just spotted your post. Have been absent birding.

That's OK Gopher, seems to have stooped it was just an unusual way of
receiving them, via my email window but from my newsgroup connection
(IYSWIM)

Old 25-01-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Alan
writes
As 99.99% of people don't know how to cross post, except the spammers,
blocking (killing) cross posted articles is a good way of cutting down
the spam in newsgroup posts.

In Turnpike:
To kill crossposted article the rule is /^Newsgroups:.*,/h

No reading the headers they do seem to be coming from Turnpike for some
reason - however after three days of them (mostly in Russian or at
least characters instead of letters) they have now stopped. Very
strange, they did not come via email but from my newsgroups receiver,
yet they came to my email window NOT the newsgroup one!

As you surmise, the email are from Turnpike, effectively sending them to
itself, hence why they don't appear in Mailwasher. IIRC normally
Turnpike does this when you try to post a message to a newsgroup you
aren't subscribed to, or if you receive messages for a group you aren;'t
subscribed too somehow.. So it effectively send the message back to you.
It doesn't appear in a newsgroup, because it has no newsgroup to put
them in.

I'm guessing some weirdness with the news serer is at the root of this,
possibly it was sending messages to turnpike that weren't for a
subscribed group, Turnpike then sends them via email to you

--
Chris French

Old 25-01-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , chris French
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Alan
writes
[...]

And as all its users will tell you the probability of a software or
non-conformance fault in Turnpike is pretty small if not non-existent.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 26-01-2011, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Hi Janet, not being particularly technical, as I've said somwhere before, I
think the problem is that you advertise/mention your web-site.

When I was with Demon and had my own web-site, I got loads of spam and odd
e-mails. I changed my ISP to save a few quid, and got shot of my web-site.
No more spam or spurious
e-mails.

Hope things improve.

Bill

Old 26-01-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , chris French
writes
I'm guessing some weirdness with the news serer is at the root of this,
possibly it was sending messages to turnpike that weren't for a
subscribed group, Turnpike then sends them via email to you

Ah, right, thanks Chris, no big deal just wondered why they suddenly
started and stopped of their own accord
Old 26-01-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
Hi Janet, not being particularly technical, as I've said somwhere before, I
think the problem is that you advertise/mention your web-site.

When I was with Demon and had my own web-site, I got loads of spam and odd
e-mails. I changed my ISP to save a few quid, and got shot of my web-site.
No more spam or spurious
e-mails.

Well we had about 5 web sites for a long time Bill and I think we would
have had something strange long before this

I don't get much spam, lots of stuff in place to weed it out plus
mailwasher .

Janet