Old 20-12-2012, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default demon again (sorry) but an upside!

NOT ON a gardening topic
not on the subject but as an aside I spent 3 and a half hours on a
premium helpline to demon to sort stuff out, they couldn't, not even
from their end. I even scrapped Turnpike to go with Thunderbird like a
lamb when it was suggested, (I'd gone beyond the point of reason by
then).

Spent a whole day to them well 2pm until 9.45pm gave up, I got advised
i was inputting the wrong data, even after the 14th time i had completed
all the settings as they told me to......... Went from incoming random
stuff being bounced or annihilated to outgoing stuff bouncing back, even
on their computers which was quite satisfying after their smug
suggestions..............

At 10.30pm Tom's friend solved it in 10 minutes, it's their new server.
BUT on the upside I LOVE the new Thunderbird, it's great and highly
recommend it to anyone who has to leave Turnpike.

And what's more I have moved the domain name so in the spring I can go
solely with another and cheaper server and Broadband supplier

Hurrah!!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to read this group through TBird
rather than TPike
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 20-12-2012, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 13:31, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:48:46 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

[...]

You cheated. You posted using Turnpike.

As it is Christmas, all is forgiven.

Please don't keep us in suspenders, who is this cheaper server and
broadband supplier? I use a different company for Broadband, web server
and domain name host, so a cheaper solution would be welcome.

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Old 20-12-2012, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 13:40, Broadback wrote:
Please don't keep us in suspenders, who is this cheaper server and
broadband supplier? I use a different company for Broadband, web server
and domain name host, so a cheaper solution would be welcome.

I meant I will move to a broadband supplier, possibly nowbelieve or
breathenow or some similar sounding name (recommended by someone) and
Tom's friend runs his own server so he can carry and bounce the emails
for me to any account.
Sorry for confusion there !
Old 20-12-2012, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 13:31, Martin wrote:
You cheated. You posted using Turnpike.

I didn't (sounds of huffing and puffing) I actually set up TB to do this
newsgroup but can't find anyhwere that you can killfile people or
deselect threads etc.

Will keep looking - got this far there#s no turning back !

janet
Old 20-12-2012, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/20/2012 9:17 AM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 20/12/2012 13:31, Martin wrote:
You cheated. You posted using Turnpike.

I didn't (sounds of huffing and puffing) I actually set up TB to do this
newsgroup but can't find anyhwere that you can killfile people or
deselect threads etc.

Will keep looking - got this far there#s no turning back !

To set up filters -
Click 'message'
Scroll down to 'create filter from message'

To kill (and never see again) an entire thread - press 'k'

To mark an entire thread as read (but not kill it) press 't'

Old 20-12-2012, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:17:02 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 20/12/2012 13:31, Martin wrote:
You cheated. You posted using Turnpike.

I didn't (sounds of huffing and puffing) I actually set up TB to do this
newsgroup but can't find anyhwere that you can killfile people or
deselect threads etc.

I'm told filtering is a weakness in TB but I've not dug too deeply. It
would take perfect filtering to move me from Agent.

Steve

Old 20-12-2012, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 14:34, S Viemeister wrote:
To set up filters -
Click 'message'
Scroll down to 'create filter from message'

To kill (and never see again) an entire thread - press 'k'

To mark an entire thread as read (but not kill it) press 't'

oh ta, trying to go with logical sequence first I thought filter was
for stuff to stay on the list. How about author?

Old 20-12-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 14:36, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I'm told filtering is a weakness in TB but I've not dug too deeply. It
would take perfect filtering to move me from Agent.

Steve

Agent I never liked, but it was an early version I tried so maybe it's
developed since then? TB is okay but if you delete a message in
fullscreen, the next comes up automatically which is annoying if you
don't want to open it!
Old 20-12-2012, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 15:05, Martin wrote:
With Thunderbird, how do you automatically delete/ignore messages that
are cross posted to a user definable number of groups?

I found with Turnpike certain authors/posters would be the ones that
cross posted/flamed so you could killfile them automatically, still
trying to work out how to do this in TB
Old 20-12-2012, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 15:06, Martin wrote:
EOW tomorrow.

ah well, better do a back up then and eat the chocolates that are
waiting to be wrapped
Why on earth do they think it'sd tomorrow. surely under the gregorian
calnedar things changed so how do they know it'd the date it is and not
2 months later or earlier? Good job i cashed in my Nectar points!

Old 20-12-2012, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/20/2012 12:10 PM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 20/12/2012 14:34, S Viemeister wrote:
To set up filters -
Click 'message'
Scroll down to 'create filter from message'

To kill (and never see again) an entire thread - press 'k'

To mark an entire thread as read (but not kill it) press 't'

oh ta, trying to go with logical sequence first I thought filter was
for stuff to stay on the list. How about author?

Yes - you can filter out by author, date, subject, etc.

You can also filter on things you _want_ to see, such as posts by
certain people, or threads in which you have participated.

Now that my niece doesn't no longer lives in Beijing, I've blocked any
posts with Chinese addresses.
Anything with the words 'cheap watches' gets binned, too.

Old 20-12-2012, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 17:30, S Viemeister wrote:
Yes - you can filter out by author, date, subject, etc.

hmm trying to woprk out that one still, Right click on subject didn;t
give me option of kill filing sender etc but will keep looking
Old 20-12-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/20/2012 1:37 PM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 20/12/2012 17:30, S Viemeister wrote:
Yes - you can filter out by author, date, subject, etc.

hmm trying to woprk out that one still, Right click on subject didn;t
give me option of kill filing sender etc but will keep looking

With the offending message open, go the the bar at the top of your screen.

Click on 'message'. You'll see a drop-down menu.

Scroll down and click on 'create filter from message' - a small 'Filter
Rules' window will open.

Old 21-12-2012, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As of 3pm this afternoon demon won't connect me to my only newsgroup in the world so i am clanking through this via Google groups which is THE most tortuous procedure I have ever experienced but I WILL NOT BE BEATEN
Old 21-12-2012, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
As of 3pm this afternoon demon won't connect me to my only newsgroup in
the world so i am clanking through this via Google groups which is THE
most tortuous procedure I have ever experienced but I WILL NOT BE BEATEN

Janet I had problems with Demon, especially when a well known troll who used
to post here accused me of posting something which was posted by someone
else and Demon took their side :-(

They only backed down and gave me an apology when it got to the threat of a
Solicitor and I proved to them that it wasn't me and explained the
situation.

Both Demon and said troll are now out of my hair. You can live without
Demon. Get shot of them once and for all and go elsewhere.

Merry Christmas and Happy and peaceful New Year

Mike