Old 29-05-2011, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee-keeping; potential nuisance to neighbours?

Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

Many thanks,

Al
Old 29-05-2011, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 May 2011 09:48:47 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

Many thanks,

Al

Are you going to do a course so you know what to do with them in an
emergency?

There are some rules I read about having hedging around them at a
certain distance and height to ensure they don't fly into people
coming near the hives.

10 sounds excessive ... but how much room have you got?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 29-05-2011, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 May 2011 09:48:47 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

Many thanks,

Al

Have just phoned someone who keeps bees. He says the direct
legislation relates mainly to bee welfare but there's a lot of
"indirect" stuff to cope with such as neighbours complaining of a
nuisance, liability if someone gets stung and suffers a fit as a
result and children are a particular issue. The one stong warning he
gives is that you have somewhere to relocate a hive if necessary - he
says some colonies go bad and need to be got well away from people
quickly. You cannot, apparently, kill a bad colony simply because it
goes bad (that's direct legislation!)

He suggests that you contact your local beekeepers association for
advice, particularly about spacing the hives out, rather than simply
trust a beekeeper. If the bees are in your garden, you will have some
liability for their welfare and for the consequences of their being
there. Speak to your neighbours and get them on-board (pointing out
that bees are helpful as they pollinate flowers and vegetables). Then
take out liability insurance (he does this through the Beekeepers
Association - www.bbka.org.uk - as part of a liability and hive
protection policy and it's dirt cheap). Finally, a fence about 6 feet
high erected around the hives will get the bees flying high rather
than into people.

He says loads of people keep bees in urban environments without any
problems 12 feet away from neighbours rather than 12 metres - they
stick the hive on a flat garage roof so they're high up. His hives are
in a paddock which he keeps as a wildflower meadow and he says there
is little activity on flowers near the hives as the bees prefer to fly
much further to forage.

I would add advice that you have a written agreement with the
beekeeper which includes a provision that he must move his hives
immediately if you require him to do so (e.g. in response to a
nuisance complaint that could develop into something more serious for
you).

Hope this helps. Must be honest, it sounds more complicated than just
watching Bill Turnbull occasionally tending his bees on Breakfast!
I've noticed a lot more bee activity in the garden this year; if your
neighbours are keen gardeners they will hopefully welcome your new
tenants as much as I would.

Cheers

Jake
Old 29-05-2011, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote

Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I
could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

When one of our allotment holders wanted to start keeping bees most of us
were delighted but the Council made them contact all the allotment holders
on the site in writing to ask if they had any objections and if any were
allergic to stings. They also demanded a 6ft high fence be put around the
hives to make the bees fly up above head height.
So I would think it a good idea if you wrote to all neighbours and asked the
same and also demand a similar fence be put around the hive area.
Our own garden at home can be fraught as a local bee keeper has hives in the
vicarage about 100 yards away and our pond is the nearest water so we have a
constant stream of bees back and forth and unfortunately they come in quite
low. You just have to remember to keep out of the flight line.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-05-2011, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 5:56*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"AL_n" *wrote

[...]

There used to be acient laws to the effect that anyone could keep
bees. Dunno if still in extent.

The bees don't help flower gardens at all. The moment a flower is
pollinated, it goes to seed. Best not mention that!
Obviously a big help in orchards and for vegetables that need
pollination (peas beans etc)

Old 29-05-2011, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 10:48*am, "AL_n" wrote:
Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

Many thanks,

Al

BTW, the temperament of bees is variable. Some are quite aggressive,
some are docile. Different breeds you see. Like dogs.
Keep animals away from the hives, they may get attacked, even killed.
They go for the eyes and nose.
Ideal to keep the neighbour's cat away!
Obviously keep children away too. Or get them involved. Educational.
Old 30-05-2011, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/05/2011 18:59, harry wrote:
On May 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

Many thanks,

Al

BTW, the temperament of bees is variable. Some are quite aggressive,
some are docile. Different breeds you see. Like dogs.
Keep animals away from the hives, they may get attacked, even killed.
They go for the eyes and nose.
Ideal to keep the neighbour's cat away!
Obviously keep children away too. Or get them involved. Educational.

What is it with Bee's and Wasps, they will only attack with the only
defence they have if threatened, most people flap around like a demented
rabbit so they defend themselves.
Don't threaten them and they will get on with their daily business, more
so bee's, I am nearly 60 and never have I been stung, if one lands on me
I leave it alone until it fly's away or gently shoo it away, mind you I
have been bitten by several dogs but they can be unpredictable, also
twice by Macaws, a few lizards for trying to pick them up, a horse for
teasing it with an apple Oh and a monkey for trying to pick up a kitten
that it had adopted, all felt under threat so defended themselves.
Don't start flaying around or just beat a hasty retreat if you get too
near their nest and you will be OK mind you with blood sucking creatures
you stand no chance, all they are after is a meal.
At the end of the year when the wasps have left the nest and you are
sitting outside just place a tray of syrup or sugary jam away from where
you are and it will keep them occupied, all they want to do is eat

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

Old 30-05-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Corporal Jones wrote:
Obviously keep children away too. Or get them involved. Educational.

What is it with Bee's and Wasps, they will only attack with the only
defence they have if threatened, most people flap around like a demented
rabbit so they defend themselves.

I have tried teaching this to my children, but to no avail. :-( I think
they see other kids over-reacting, where they've learnt it from parents
(mothers particularly) and they just copy.

Personally, when I was a child I accidentally did a cartwheel with my hand
on a bee (on the school field), and as I stood up it just got up and flew
away, no harm to anyone.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
[...]

In my experience Wasps ae considerably more malevolent than Bees and will
sting even if unprovoked.

Bill

Old 30-05-2011, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
I must admit I always think of them as the bovver boys of the insect
world! And what is more, they go ON stinging as I found to my
discomfort when I was 14 and one flew up my very bouffant skirt!!

Heaven forbid anyone say that's why you shouldn't wear a bouffant skirt!
(what /is/ a bouffant skirt?)
Old 31-05-2011, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Thanks, Vicky, now I feel really, really ancient as opposed to just
grandmotherly old! But to enhance your knowledge of modern history of
the late 1950s, early 1960s, there was a time when we girls wore full,
circular skirts with stiff petticoats underneath. I was actually a bit
young for those but I do remember my mother allowed me just one for a
party. How I wish she hadn't.....! In one way, I was safer when I
started wearing mini-skirts in the 60s!

Oh, I know what you mean! Kind of 'Grease' skirts? I have to admit, I
think I have actually worn one. The trials and tribulations of living in
a family that runs (well, used to) a dance school.
Old 31-05-2011, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Not the Laban Centre, by any chance?

Umm, no idea what you're talking about, so no, I guess not. :-}

Old 31-05-2011, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Not the Laban Centre, by any chance?

Umm, no idea what you're talking about, so no, I guess not. :-}

Famous dance school in London. http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/Laban

Ah. NO, we didn't run a famous dance school, we ran a little dance school
in a church hall in Liverpool. :-}
Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-31 21:49:42 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Not the Laban Centre, by any chance?

Umm, no idea what you're talking about, so no, I guess not. :-}

Famous dance school in London. http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/Laban

Ah. NO, we didn't run a famous dance school, we ran a little dance
school
in a church hall in Liverpool. :-}

And all those inspire children and young adults to go on and dance in
adult life, either professionally or for exercise and enjoyment. Some of
my grandchildren now go to a school my children and all their & my first
and second cousins go to/went to. It's still run by a highly respected
doyenne in her 80s. I thought of the Laban because you live not far from
London now!
--
Sacha
South Devon

We have some very good Dance Studios here on the Isle of Wight and the
standard is very high. I have been asked for the last couple of years to be
a Steward at the Isle of Wight Music and Dance Festival. A week long event
covering all sorts of Music, Prose and Dance at venues all over the Isle of
Wight. I have been involved in the Dance side because it was held at
Shanklin Theatre where I am the Membership Secretary of the Friends of
Shanklin Theatre http://www.friendsofshanklintheatre.org.uk/ and asked to
take on the roll of Acting Treasurer at the last Committee Meeting. The
standard of Dance was very high and the devotion by those competing, and the
support their Mothers gave, (I was able to have a chat with many of the
Mums) was second to none.

I hope to be asked again next year and support the devotion.

Which raises another point. Why is it that great coverage is given to the
'Yobbo/Hoody Youth' but very little to those who join in and attend so many
activities such as Guides, Cadets, Dance competitions etc etc etc? My
Grandson is an example of devotion to a 'hobby'. He spends hours and hours
with The Medina Marching Band http://www.mmband.org.uk/. He is the little
one at the front in the Corps of Drums. Needless to say he wants to go into
the Marines in the Corp of Drums.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

nuisance chipmunks John Lawns 1 28-08-2003 08:22 PM
Public Nuisance Yards Rusty Mase Texas 4 26-06-2003 04:33 AM
Slug and snails nuisance HaaRoy United Kingdom 16 06-01-2003 02:21 AM
On Slugs - Slug and snails nuisance ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 0 15-12-2002 01:05 AM