Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chickens

In message

I was surprised when I looked up hens/chickens to see how many
varieties there are, even the bantams seem to have a few variants.
I was sort of hoping to find a couple of varieties to pick from
but there's too much choice really.

We get ours from he
http://www.cambridgepoultry.co.uk/chickens.html
(except not the bantams, they were given to us as teeny things by
a friend of Nick's - we were lucky they both turned out to
be girls, cos they were a bit young to sex a tht time!)

They show a decent range and they are all the same price too.

I have two options, one is too seek breeds further afield and the
other is to visit our local farmer (who the wife knows) to see
what they have as they do supply chickens.

Probably best. :-)

I think it will depend on what is available to me locally as I
don't want to travel too far so this might limit the
availability and I may have to accept what's available locally.

I'd strongly recommend the white leghorn, though. Huge white
eggs (bigger than they look like she ought to be able to lay!)
and very reliable

I will definitely enquire about the white leghorn, it seems to be
the perfect all rounder.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Derek Turner wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:34:17 +0000, stephen.hull wrote:

Have decided to bite the bullet and get some chickens in the spring
after I do some garden preparation first, we had six chickens some years
ago (but not here) so know what to expect and what is involved etc, just
not sure what type to go for. Last time we had bantams, I am thinking of
getting about four to start with and maybe add another couple later on.

Speckeldy or Meadowsweet Ranger. Get all six at once or the new ones will
be bullied half to death when introduced.

Last time a got six at once and they were fine all coming from the
same farm, however my next door neighbour at the time was a bin man
and he brought a chicken home one day and gave it to us, there was
pandemonium in the coop and we had to separate the new hen from
the others for about a week or two until they settled down,
definitely a pecking order.

I cannot decide if I need six hens or to just stick to four
although I do have space for more but as their run will be static
I don't want to have too many IYSWIM.

I intend to purchase a 8X4 garden shed in the spring and fabricate
it to suit rather than just have a pre made purpose built coop and
sacrifice the bottom half of the garden which is just bark ATM.
The chicken run will be about four yards square, that's my plan
anyway.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

I was surprised when I looked up hens/chickens to see how many
varieties there are, even the bantams seem to have a few variants.
I was sort of hoping to find a couple of varieties to pick from
but there's too much choice really.

I have two options, one is too seek breeds further afield and the
other is to visit our local farmer (who the wife knows) to see
what they have as they do supply chickens.

Don't accept give-aways.. they will always be the other persons
least- desirable hens (old, poor layers, egg peckers etc)

If you primarily want hens for the eggs I suggest you ask the
farm if they can supply point of lay (this is an age reference)
hybrids bred for commercial egg production. They will have been
expertly raised and in good health; and are easy to keep either
penned or freerange. Feed them commercial layers pellets , wheat
as a snack, and all the green grazing they can get.

From a gardening POV I found free range commerical hybrids do a
lot less garden damage than old pure breeds (which are bigger
heavier birds for dual egg/meat and eat more).

Janet.

Okay thanks for that, definitely point of lay, I will have to wait
and see what our local farm have to offer as they may not yet have
what I want.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message

On 2012-01-04 09:43:56 +0000, said:

In message
wrote:

I'll wait for the wife to report back after she sees our local
farmer to see what they have then I'll ask again here.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Make sure that whatever you get, they're vaccinated and ready to go.
The first 6 we got were the 'ornamentals' which were real youngsters,
the Light Sussex were point of lay and we had eggs pretty quickly.

I will do, thanks Sacha,

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In message
Moonraker wrote:

On 04/01/2012 09:43, wrote:
In
wrote:

[snip]

A bit OT as regards hens but on topic for noise. If you think
hens/cockerels are noisy try a donkey next door to you.

A friend had a donkey years ago, my god is was noisy.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Ahhhhhhhhh

A Lemming who didn't see my posting

Happy New Year

Mike

Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Make sure that whatever you get, they're vaccinated and ready to go.

You may find this link of interest giving local suppliers
http://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/chick...-suppliers.php
David
Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-04 15:52:27 +0000, said:

In message
Moonraker wrote:

On 04/01/2012 09:43,
wrote:
In
wrote:

[snip]

A bit OT as regards hens but on topic for noise. If you think
hens/cockerels are noisy try a donkey next door to you.

A friend had a donkey years ago, my god is was noisy.

Stephen.

I long for two donkeys but know I'll never get them. When Ray's children
were small, they had a donkey stallion and he said it was the most evil
creature he'd ever encountered. Other than the bantam cockerel!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I've been told that if anyone wants to keep donkeys as pets the it is very
important to get two. One will pine if it has to live alone.

Bill

Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-04 15:52:27 +0000, said:

In message
Moonraker wrote:

On 04/01/2012 09:43,
wrote:
In
wrote:

[snip]

A bit OT as regards hens but on topic for noise. If you think
hens/cockerels are noisy try a donkey next door to you.

A friend had a donkey years ago, my god is was noisy.

Stephen.

I long for two donkeys but know I'll never get them. When Ray's children
were small, they had a donkey stallion and he said it was the most evil
creature he'd ever encountered. Other than the bantam cockerel!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I've been told that if anyone wants to keep donkeys as pets the it is very
important to get two. One will pine if it has to live alone.

Bill

Or as my sister did, a Horse and a Donkey

Mike

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message

On 2012-01-04 15:52:27 +0000, said:

In message
Moonraker wrote:

On 04/01/2012 09:43,
wrote:
In
wrote:

[snip]

A bit OT as regards hens but on topic for noise. If you think
hens/cockerels are noisy try a donkey next door to you.

A friend had a donkey years ago, my god is was noisy.

Stephen.

I long for two donkeys but know I'll never get them. When Ray's
children were small, they had a donkey stallion and he said it was the
most evil creature he'd ever encountered. Other than the bantam
cockerel!

LOL,

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Dave Hill wrote:

Make sure that whatever you get, they're vaccinated and ready to go.

You may find this link of interest giving local suppliers
http://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/chick...-suppliers.php
David

I have looked at a few of those sites already funnily enough but I
can't find leghorns on them, which I have sort of decided to want.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message

On 2012-01-04 16:25:33 +0000, said:

In message

On 2012-01-03 18:34:17 +0000,
said:

Wow even more hens I've not herd of, at least I now know what to
look out for, I'll keep you posted and thanks to all for the
advice given so far.

Stephen.

They're in a field behind the car park which is rapidly getting used up
with trees, chickens, extra standing for plants and all sorts of things
besides. However, the thing is that we have enough space for them to
be moved regularly and that does make it easier to decide breed and
numbers. We have two coops, each of which is said to be big enough
inside and in the run, for 6 birds. Naturally, they prefer to try to
squeeze into one! But once they've made a real mess of their current
area, which is pretty big and surrounded by electric fox fencing,
they're moved to another. It's a sort of waltz round the area,
eventually bringing them back to the original spot. Once they all
start laying well in longer daylight hours, we'll have 12 eggs a day,
potentially. But as some come to us, some go to my step-daughter and
step-son and others can be given to those who work here or to other
friends, we'll never be overcome. I think.

I could use a small coop and move it round but we want to keep
half of the bottom garden clear so we can sit in the dapple shade
under the fruit trees on hot summer days, if we had the coop
mobile we would have to sit at the top of the garden, selfish
may be but the bottom area is too big for half a dozen hens to
roam round, although they will still be free range, I hope.

I can make a boxed in cupboard inside the shed to store the hens
food etc in which I can't do with a small coop, plus I will be
able to walk round the shed making it easier to clean and from
previous experience I know hens can be very messy creatures.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article ,
writes
I wouldn't expect anyone with neighbours to have a cockerel.

Yep, they are far too vocal especially at five in the morning.

Stephen.

Not half as loud as Guinea fowl!

I'l give them a miss then, LOL.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 4, 10:08*pm, wrote:
In message
* * * * * Dave Hill wrote:

Make sure that whatever you get, they're vaccinated and ready to go.

You may find this link of interest giving local suppliers
http://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/chick...-suppliers.php
David

I have looked at a few of those sites already funnily enough but I
can't find leghorns on them, which I have sort of decided to want.

Stephen.

--http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Amazing what a google search for Leghorns will turn up
try http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds...&breed=Leghorn

Even chickens get a better life under new animal laws [email protected] United Kingdom 0 15-07-2004 01:16 PM
Chickens in my Garden Ken Gardening 5 07-05-2004 06:06 PM
Bindii & Free range chickens Angelo & Yvette Australia 1 31-08-2003 08:12 PM
Slug pellets and chickens??? shannie United Kingdom 12 25-04-2003 08:10 PM
rooster & chickens for sale Joe Thornton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM