Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Spuds!

We are trying out T&M potatoes this year instead of treking down to
Hampshire. They arrived today. Had completely forgotten what we had
ordered. Turns out it was:

20 King Edwards
20 Kestrel
20 Maris Piper
20 Lady Christl
20 Desiree
20 Cara
20 Charlotte
20 Rocket

Think we've had them all before, except the Charlotte + Maris Piper.

Going to try (yet again) to keep a better record/journal of things this
year.

Old 13-01-2012, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

We are trying out T&M potatoes this year instead of trekking down to
Hampshire. They arrived today. Had completely forgotten what we had
ordered. Turns out it was:

20 King Edwards
20 Kestrel
20 Maris Piper
20 Lady Christl
20 Desiree
20 Cara
20 Charlotte
20 Rocket

Think we've had them all before, except the Charlotte + Maris Piper.

Going to try (yet again) to keep a better record/journal of things this
year.

We will be trekking down to Hampshire as usual, makes a day out with friends
anyway. 160 seed potatoes sounds a bit excessive but if you have a large
family and the land why not. Can't grow King Edwards to a decent size as our
soil contains a lot of clay which they don't like, always grow Kestral
though.
We will be after...
FE. Inova & Printaline
SE. Kestral
MC. Victoria & Romano
Although both Victoria and Romano seem hard to get hold of these days even
at the potato day.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-01-2012, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
We are trying out T&M potatoes this year instead of treking down to
Hampshire. They arrived today. Had completely forgotten what we had
ordered. Turns out it was:

20 King Edwards
20 Kestrel
20 Maris Piper
20 Lady Christl
20 Desiree
20 Cara
20 Charlotte
20 Rocket

Good grief, do you have several allotments then to put them all in?

We have 1.5 allotments, but that will probably cover about 1/4 of a full
plot. We experimented with growing in bags last year, which means we ended
up with a lot fewer actual spuds in the end. Going to try it again (made it
an /awful/ lot easier to dig up!!), but planting a lot deeper and earthing
up a lot more this time.
Old 13-01-2012, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
We are trying out T&M potatoes this year instead of treking down to
Hampshire. They arrived today. Had completely forgotten what we had
ordered. Turns out it was:

20 King Edwards
20 Kestrel
20 Maris Piper
20 Lady Christl
20 Desiree
20 Cara
20 Charlotte
20 Rocket

Think we've had them all before, except the Charlotte + Maris Piper.

Going to try (yet again) to keep a better record/journal of things this
year.

--

The above list dwarfs my patheric contribution :-) I've bought a few King
Edwards and maris Piper to grow, or try to grow, in tubs.

At least the NG has generated sufficient interest for me to have a go :-)

I've no idea if I've ought the right spuds !

Bill

Old 13-01-2012, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
I've no idea if I've ought the right spuds !

The 'right' ones are the ones you like best. :-D
Old 13-01-2012, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

wrote:

Bill Grey wrote:
I've no idea if I've ought the right spuds !

The 'right' ones are the ones you like best. :-D

Ain't that the truth!

Last year was the first time I'd tried growing potatoes (new house with
a small place for vegetable growing) and I'd just watched a TV
programme about heritage varieties so bought a couple of different ones.

The potatoes grew really well and we had a decent crop. But we ended
up giving them away as they were both very floury and we (generally)
prefer waxy ones.

I'll try again this year but make sure I choose the varieties that I
know we'll eat.

--
Chris
Old 13-01-2012, 11:34 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
We are trying out T&M potatoes this year instead of treking down to
Hampshire. They arrived today. Had completely forgotten what we had
ordered. Turns out it was:

20 King Edwards
20 Kestrel
20 Maris Piper
20 Lady Christl
20 Desiree
20 Cara
20 Charlotte
20 Rocket

Think we've had them all before, except the Charlotte + Maris Piper.

Going to try (yet again) to keep a better record/journal of things this
year.

--
Interesting. This year I'm going the other direction from you - instead of T&M, I am trekking to my nearest independent garden centre. Research last year showed that they had the varieties I was interested in (Sarpo Mira which has proved impressively slug resistant for me, and Belle de Fontenay/ La Ratte), at lower prices and without the large T&M postage charge.
__________________
Old 13-01-2012, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

CT wrote:
The 'right' ones are the ones you like best. :-D

Ain't that the truth!

Last year was the first time I'd tried growing potatoes (new house with
a small place for vegetable growing) and I'd just watched a TV
programme about heritage varieties so bought a couple of different ones.

The potatoes grew really well and we had a decent crop. But we ended
up giving them away as they were both very floury and we (generally)
prefer waxy ones.

I'll try again this year but make sure I choose the varieties that I
know we'll eat.

Heh, we're on a huge trial-and-error thing. It's been ongoing for the past
8 years. Every year we forget which is which, especially when we eat them.

I'm also not a floury-spud fan.

One year we had some nice ones, Rosa-something (it'll come to me in a
minute), but haven't been able to find them since. They made /really/ good
roasts.
Old 13-01-2012, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bella rosa!

Old 13-01-2012, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

wrote:

I'm also not a floury-spud fan.

One year we had some nice ones, Rosa-something (it'll come to me in a
minute), but haven't been able to find them since. They made really
good roasts.

Oh sure - floury for roasts is a good thing, but I don't want roast
spuds *all* the time[1]

[1] Actually I do )

--
Chris
Old 13-01-2012, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Can't grow King Edwards to a decent size as our soil contains a lot of
clay which they don't like, always grow Kestral though.

Charlottes do well in our clay and flint stuff Bob.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-01-2012, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
We have 1.5 allotments, but that will probably cover about 1/4 of a full
plot. We experimented with growing in bags last year, which means we ended
up with a lot fewer actual spuds in the end. Going to try it again (made it
an /awful/ lot easier to dig up!!), but planting a lot deeper and earthing
up a lot more this time.

Blimey, you must go into mourning if blight comes early

We haven't, touch wood, had serious blight on the potatoes so far. Last
year was horrid when we got early blight in the greenhouse, though! :'(
Old 13-01-2012, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:29:39 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article ,
writes
We are trying out T&M potatoes this year instead of treking down to
Hampshire. They arrived today. Had completely forgotten what we had
ordered. Turns out it was:

20 King Edwards
20 Kestrel
20 Maris Piper
20 Lady Christl
20 Desiree
20 Cara
20 Charlotte
20 Rocket

Good grief, do you have several allotments then to put them all in?

I have just lifted the turf from around 10 square metre of (coarse)
lawn to bring it back into productivity after a fallow period of
around 20 years . I have around 30 Sharpes Expess tubers to plant
over the next few weeks. Never tried them before, so breaking new
ground in more than one sense.

The Blight arrived late last year and scuppered my plans for new spuds
at Xxmas. I removed all foliage before (I hope) it got to the roots.
That patch is now planted with overwintering onions.

Last year's main crop patch is now down to Garlic. Last year's garlic
patch no longer exists (from a soil perspective). T'was too dry/free
draining anyway. Extra Garlic will be planted in the space over-run
by Butternut Squash vines. Lots of fruit but according to 'Er
Indoors, not up to much. I will not be trying that seed again this
year.

Bl**dy foxes are trying to dig into the large pot containing a
Timperley Early Rhubarb plant. The application of more wire mesh is
indicated over the weekend.

Despite the frost, the Coriander still appears to be surviving. And
the Lettuce.

Regards
JonH

New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Spuds Neil Trotter United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 12:08 PM
Black leaves on spuds - Beans too Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 0 19-05-2003 10:44 PM
Black leaves on spuds Shakespeare United Kingdom 1 19-05-2003 05:56 PM
Spuds - when to harvest? Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM