Old 30-01-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagator trays for vegetables - how many cells?

I plan to grow a variety of common vegetables this year. To start my
seedlings, I'm thinking of buying some 38cm x 24cm propagator trays with
clear lids. Regarding the number of cells in each, I have a choice of: 24,
40 or 60. They all cost the same, so I get more cells per £ by going for
the 60-cell trays, but will the cells be big enough for starting off the
seedlings before planting out?

Thanks...

Al

Old 30-01-2012, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 30, 7:31*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jan 30, 6:51*pm, "AL_n" wrote:

I plan to grow a variety of common vegetables this year. To start my
seedlings, I'm thinking of buying some 38cm x 24cm propagator trays with
clear lids. Regarding the number of cells in each, I have a choice of: 24,
40 or 60. *They all cost the same, so I get more cells per £ by going for
the 60-cell trays, but will the cells be big enough for starting off the
seedlings before planting out?

Thanks...

Al

yes

You don't say what veg.
60's will do for things like leeks, onions.
40's will do for a range of things
24's for larger things like marrows etc
The more info you give the better will be your answer
Old 30-01-2012, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in news:ceadb724-1b42-449c-
:

60's will do for things like leeks, onions.
40's will do for a range of things
24's for larger things like marrows etc
The more info you give the better will be your answer

Thank you. I'm planning:
lettuce
marrows,
brussels sprouts
cabbage
beans
sweetcorn

That's about it (apart from spuds, and onions which don't apply).

Thanks,

Al
Old 30-01-2012, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in
:

lettuce
marrows,
brussels sprouts
cabbage
beans
sweetcorn

PS.. I've just seen 104-cell trays! Would they be okay for the veg with
small seeds? If so, then one tray is about all I need.

Al

Old 30-01-2012, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
I plan to grow a variety of common vegetables this year. To start my
seedlings, I'm thinking of buying some 38cm x 24cm propagator trays with
clear lids. Regarding the number of cells in each, I have a choice of: 24,
40 or 60. ?They all cost the same, so I get more cells per ? by going for
the 60-cell trays, but will the cells be big enough for starting off the
seedlings before planting out?

Thanks...

Al

yes

You don't say what veg.
60's will do for things like leeks, onions.
40's will do for a range of things
24's for larger things like marrows etc
The more info you give the better will be your answer

FWIW, for a lot of things (courgettes, melons, sweet peas, sweetcorn) I
would always use root trainers rather than modules.

My leeks, sprouts, tomatoes and peppers all got started in modules and seed
trays this weekend, though.
Old 31-01-2012, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chris French" wrote k...
vicky writes
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

We grow sweetcorn, peas, beans etc. in Rootrainers, but squashes,
courgettes, etc. tend to grow in smallish pots.

We do the same and use different depth rootrainers for different things,
eg. runner and french beans go in the deepest type (7 inch?) the rest in the
middle depth ones (5 inch?)). For onion seed I use 40 cell trays and those
are the only trays I use. Marrows I sow in small pots.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-01-2012, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

chris French wrote:
You don't say what veg.
60's will do for things like leeks, onions.
40's will do for a range of things
24's for larger things like marrows etc
The more info you give the better will be your answer

FWIW, for a lot of things (courgettes, melons, sweet peas, sweetcorn) I
would always use root trainers rather than modules.

We grow sweetcorn, peas, beans etc. in Rootrainers, but squashes,
courgettes, etc. tend to grow in smallish pots.

That's probably better, but the root trainers tesselate better. :-)
Seed planting time is always a bit of a, erm, squash.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 30, 11:41*pm, wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

trays this weekend, though.- Hide quoted text -

Do you have a warm or cold greenhouse?I find starting tomatoes and
peppers too early can be done in a warm propagator,but they shiver
when put out into the greenhouse with cold nights coming for a couple
of months.
Also why do you start your sprouts so early?I am thinking of doing
this with the variety Wellington,which for me never seems to have a
long enough growing season.
Michael

Old 31-01-2012, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:9opqakF7p7U1
@mid.individual.net:

chris French wrote:
You don't say what veg.
60's will do for things like leeks, onions.
40's will do for a range of things
24's for larger things like marrows etc
The more info you give the better will be your answer

FWIW, for a lot of things (courgettes, melons, sweet peas, sweetcorn) I
would always use root trainers rather than modules.

We grow sweetcorn, peas, beans etc. in Rootrainers, but squashes,
courgettes, etc. tend to grow in smallish pots.

That's probably better, but the root trainers tesselate better. :-)
Seed planting time is always a bit of a, erm, squash.

Thanks to all for the replies. The mention of root trainers prompted me to
do a search, which turned up an intereting thread in another forum, about
using loo roll tubes, 'newspaper pots' and other devices. See he
http://tinyurl.com/7jhfe4x

Al
Old 31-01-2012, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

chris French wrote in
:

FWIW, for a lot of things (courgettes, melons, sweet peas, sweetcorn)
I would always use root trainers rather than modules.

We grow sweetcorn, peas, beans etc. in Rootrainers, but squashes,
courgettes, etc. tend to grow in smallish pots.

I vaguely recall (from my few past efforts), that I used to always sow two
seeds in each cell or pot (in case one didn't germinate). Is this normal
practice, and if both seeds germinate, is it advisable to destroy one of
the seedlings?

Al

Old 31-01-2012, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , AL_n
writes
chris French wrote in
k:

FWIW, for a lot of things (courgettes, melons, sweet peas, sweetcorn)
I would always use root trainers rather than modules.

We grow sweetcorn, peas, beans etc. in Rootrainers, but squashes,
courgettes, etc. tend to grow in smallish pots.

I vaguely recall (from my few past efforts), that I used to always sow two
seeds in each cell or pot (in case one didn't germinate). Is this normal
practice, and if both seeds germinate, is it advisable to destroy one of
the seedlings?

Depends on the plant (and the costs of the seeds). For things that
germinate well enough (which is probably most things for us), then we
just plant one seed in a module - if a few don't germinate I'd rather
that than loads of unwanted plants.

but if you do double sow, and get extra plant, you can either destroy
one , or prick it out as you prefer.
--
Chris French

Old 31-01-2012, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

chris French wrote in
news
Depends on the plant (and the costs of the seeds). For things that
germinate well enough (which is probably most things for us), then we
just plant one seed in a module - if a few don't germinate I'd rather
that than loads of unwanted plants.

Yes, I can see this makes more sense. How about the potting medium? What is
cheap but effective? I remember getting annoyed by some potting mixes that
didn't seem to absorb water easily; it just tended to float on the water
and not absorb it readily!

Al

Old 31-01-2012, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

chris French wrote in
news

I vaguely recall (from my few past efforts), that I used to always sow
two seeds in each cell or pot (in case one didn't germinate). Is this
normal practice, and if both seeds germinate, is it advisable to
destroy one of the seedlings?

Depends on the plant (and the costs of the seeds). For things that
germinate well enough (which is probably most things for us), then we
just plant one seed in a module - if a few don't germinate I'd rather
that than loads of unwanted plants.

but if you do double sow, and get extra plant, you can either destroy
one , or prick it out as you prefer.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Baz