Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

No way would I want to drink from my butt.

Mike

Well you always talk out of it!

Baz
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

You will not get hepatitis by drinking water from a butt that has
collected rainwater from a roof.

I referred to the vast majority of "the worlds population". People do
get hepatitis from drinking spring water sometimes and water that has
been collected in tanks. It was common in tap water on the Greek
Islands at one time

You are Edwin Poots and I claim my bent farthing!

Hepatitis A comes from the faeces of infected humans - NOWHERE else.
It is not transmitted by birds. Think about it.

Did you think about it? Faeces of infected humans can get into tap
water.

Sigh. This thread is about drinking rainwater collected off a roof
in the UK into a waterbutt. Your wittering is no more relevant than
warning of the risk of giardia would be.

Anyway, I am not going to respond to any more of this Pootery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 3, 10:45*am, Janet wrote:
In article f937b0d9-a67e-4809-b0aa-4ff907fd73f6
@w19g2000vbe.googlegroups.com, says...

I have an underground tank that collects water off the driveway.
Used for garden at the moment.. *I *am going to extend use to toilet &
then get in a water meter.

However the thought has crossed my mind just to buy bottled water for
drinking and tell the water people to F off when I'm set up.

* What's the capacity of your underground tank?
* It's unlikely to supply enough for showers and an automatic washing
machine, especially in summer.

*I've *lived doing handlaundry for an entire family outdoors in a tin tub
with cold water; bathing in a washing up bowl etc, only flushing the lav
once a day... I suggest you and your household *try them all out for a
week before *telling the water people to eff off.

* * Janet

About 5000 litres.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_n View Post
What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al
Hi Al,

We have all eaten a spider or similar during our sleep. However when it comes to water butts it is the flying rat better known as the pigeon which is the most dangerous. They like nothing better than to perch on guttering, they poo where they perch and are carriers of many diseases. I would never think of using that water for anything other than the garden!!!

uriel13

The mind is like a parachute its totally useless unless open
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
uriel13 wrote:

We have all eaten a spider or similar during our sleep. However when it
comes to water butts it is the flying rat better known as the pigeon
which is the most dangerous. They like nothing better than to perch on
guttering, they poo where they perch and are carriers of many diseases.
I would never think of using that water for anything other than the
garden!!!

While that is true, you are being a little too extreme. Pigeons
may carry a huge number of diseases, but are not at all rat-like
(except compared with a tree, for example) and the vast majority
of the diseases they carry are ubiquitous in the environment and
normally dealt with by our immune system.

Excessive numbers of pigeons ARE a health hazard, many of those
diseases are potentially serious, and not drinking untreated butt
water for that reason is a good idea, but it is important not to
get hysterical about the issue.

A far more serious cause of premature death is a nasty mammal,
often called the motorhead, Clarksonia insana, for example.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety
Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Well, most didn't survive childhood and, in places without clean
water, many don't today. However, the water-borne diseases that
do almost all of the killing are NOT those that are likely to
get into a waterbutt in the UK. Most people completely lack any
understanding of sane risk assessment, regrettably.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 06:47:16 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

I think that evolution has quite a bit chunk of 'Health and Safety'
built in.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 06:47:16 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Quite, as a species we seem to survive quite well without "pure mains
water". I reckon that 50 years ago most rural places would have been
using water straight from a well or borehole without any treatment at
all. Our paddock still has the trough that was the water supply up
until about 30 years ago when an unreliable supply pumped up from a
farm further down arrived. Mains water arrived only just over 20
years ago.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 05471377-9d71-417a-b8a0-
,
says...

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Life expectancy was much shorter; just like it still is in countries
where people don't have a clean water supply.

Janet

Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Martin wrote:

[...]

Martin 1 : Nick 0

Sigh!

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article
,
Dave Hill wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Well, most didn't survive childhood and, in places without clean
water, many don't today. However, the water-borne diseases that
do almost all of the killing are NOT those that are likely to
get into a waterbutt in the UK. Most people completely lack any
understanding of sane risk assessment, regrettably.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Risk assessment! Now there's a phrase to chill the heart of any sensible
person, and stymie
the enjoyment of the most basic pleasure activity.

It's all to do with insurance and this modern society where ambulance
chasers and claims lawyers with "no win no fee" promises rule!

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 06:47:16 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Quite, as a species we seem to survive quite well without "pure mains
water". I reckon that 50 years ago most rural places would have been
using water straight from a well or borehole without any treatment at
all. Our paddock still has the trough that was the water supply up
until about 30 years ago when an unreliable supply pumped up from a
farm further down arrived. Mains water arrived only just over 20
years ago.

--
Cheers
Dave.

It's a pity we can't ask the folk who lived in Ystalyfera in the Swansea
Valley circa 1866
It is a matter of record regarding the devastating Cholera outbreak caused
by dirty water.

Google it - you should get some results.

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 02/03/2012 23:35, Martin wrote:
In the late 1950's I worked on an outstation in the RAF. The only water we
had was that collected off the roof, which we had to boil before drinking.
However we had a new M.O. posted to the main station, one of his first
tasks was to analyse the water we were drinking. He soon arranged for a
regular delivery of water to us, for, amongst other impurities, he found
there was a fair amount of arsenic the water garnered off the roof, so I
would not drink yours without careful analysis by a professional.

Question - Do people often die of arsenic poisoning?

Answer - No only once!.

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

Risk assessment! Now there's a phrase to chill the heart of any
sensible person, and stymie the enjoyment of the most basic pleasure
activity.

It's all to do with insurance and this modern society where ambulance
chasers and claims lawyers with "no win no fee" promises rule!

Boggle. Er, no. It considerably predates that, and is part of
game theory, military strategy, statistics or what have you.
I use it a great deal, including for pleasure activities, usually
to say "What the hell - THAT risk is too low to be worth bothering
with - I'll just do it."

The number of times I have had sloppy thinkers claim that I am
taking ridiculous risks, including recently when I went downhill
skiing for the first time at 64 with no vestibular (inner ear
balance) function at all, is legion. Oh, and no damn helmet.
The risk was negligible, if assessed competently, but they were
still claiming otherwise on the basis of emotional reaction.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.