Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any owners of Rhus, stag horn sumach tree please read.

In article , Dean25.a4d5e96
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

.. I CREATED this
thread with the intention of aquiring suckers from someone local, I
didnt CREATE this thread to discuss Sumachs with people.

You have created this thread in a discussion group which exists purely,
for other people to discuss plants, gardens, and garden related issues.

Janet

Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance[_6_] View Post
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 Dean25 wrote:

You appear to be under the delusion you have reached the customer
advisory desk at a garden centre dedicated to serving you.

This is a discussion group, called uk.rec.gardening, which is
completely independent of gardenbanter.

There is no membership, no moderator, anyone here is free to DISCUSS
rhus

typhina whether or not what they say is relevent to your
post.Gardenbanter

has no control over what is discussed here, or who replies, and neither
do

you.

Your incredibly rude Janet.

Well, that is so. I've been on the receiving end of Janet's tongue more
than once and for no good reason other than she can be extremely
prickly. She does tend to treat us like naughty children when she feels
we've done wrong. I simply ignore it!

David

Web Site of the Rance Family
haha how funny, thanks David, theres no need to be like that. Its gardening!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2012 22:46, Janet wrote:
In , Dean25.a4d5e96
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

. I CREATED this
thread with the intention of aquiring suckers from someone local, I
didnt CREATE this thread to discuss Sumachs with people.

You have created this thread in a discussion group which exists purely,
for other people to discuss plants, gardens, and garden related issues.

Janet

This is getting childish.
The thread was created in Garden Banter and followed up here,
There is a hell of a lot of off topic trash being posted under various
headings that has little or nothing to do with gardening etc but we put
up with it.
Give the OP a chance and just let it drop.
David Hill @ the damp end of Swansea who is getting ****ed off with all
the tripe in this news group.
Old 13-06-2012, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2012 00:24, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

On 12/06/2012 22:46, Janet wrote:
In , Dean25.a4d5e96
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

. I CREATED this
thread with the intention of aquiring suckers from someone local, I
didnt CREATE this thread to discuss Sumachs with people.

You have created this thread in a discussion group which exists purely,
for other people to discuss plants, gardens, and garden related issues.

Janet

This is getting childish.
The thread was created in Garden Banter

.. where he ignored GB's sticky and FAQ

and followed up here,
There is a hell of a lot of off topic trash being posted under various
headings that has little or nothing to do with gardening etc but we put
up with it.

You're forever complaining about spam and OT trash most of us never
see; you've been given endless advice how to do the same.

However, when a gardening thread appears, there is every reason for the
gardeners here to join in and discuss the topic of sumach... which they
did in perfectly normal fashion, until the OP rudely rejected their input.

I'm far from the only regular gardening poster who objected to that.

Janet.

For your information I have been using NEWS Individual net for the last
month, and I seem to be seeing far more childish messages than I ever
did when using Goggle.
Granted Google didn't filter out a lot of spam, but it didn't seem to
show so much absolute crap that some people seem to post.
Sorry but there is no other term for some of the postings.
David@ the damp end of Swansea Bay
Old 13-06-2012, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

However, when a gardening thread appears, there is every reason for the
gardeners here to join in and discuss the topic of sumach... which they
did in perfectly normal fashion, until the OP rudely rejected their input.

That is unfair. He produced a response to an extremely unhelpful
semi-troll, but phrased it in such a way that it seemed to apply to
every response. Because he was a GardenBanterer, he did not realise
that replies very often appear in weird orders. Things then developed
into a flame war.

I am not going to take sides, or even echo Mercutio.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2012, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2012 16:58, Dean25 wrote:
Janet;961444 Wrote:
In article , Dean25.a4c6176
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...-

Janet;961348 Wrote: -
In article
, Dean25.a4bb8b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...
-
Im really just looking for replies from people who have the tree!
Helpful comments only people!-

You appear to be under the delusion you have reached the customer
advisory desk at a garden centre dedicated to serving you.

This is a discussion group, called uk.rec.gardening, which is
completely independent of gardenbanter.

There is no membership, no moderator, anyone here is free to DISCUSS
rhus
typhina whether or not what they say is relevent to your
post.Gardenbanter
has no control over what is discussed here, or who replies, and
neither
do
you.

Janet.-

Your incredibly rude Janet.-

But the really annoying thing, is that I'm right.
-
I had never used this site before until last
night-

If she puts you off using Garden banter then so much the better.

Does that give you some right to jump in feet first and behave like a

spoiled two year old? Not here it doesn't. This is NOT A "SITE".

Janet

You are deluded janet, My comment : "helpful comments only" was directed
at the person who advised me too burn down any sumachs, after I had
quoted it was my favourite tree in my opening paragraph. I CREATED this
thread with the intention of aquiring suckers from someone local, I
didnt CREATE this thread to discuss Sumachs with people. Thats not being
rude, its being honest. If I misunderstood the purpose of this website,
I fail to see how that is your concern? You obviously have a serious
attitude problem and if you cant say anything nice, might I suggest you
say nothing at all???

The problem is that the website you are posting though is a parasitic
feed to a much older Usenet news service. Some of the posters here are
decidedly tetchy about people describing it as a "SITE" since it is not
one and never has been. Garden-b*nter and for that matter all the other
parasitic banter sites grab original material from Usenet without
permission and repost it as is if it was their own on a website.

You should pay attention to what Nick said about Sumac being something
of a nuisance. I have grown it constrained without too much problem but
it does sucker heavily and the thick resiny sap can be sensitising to
some people but far less so than the other members of Anacardaceae which
includes the closely related poison oak and ivy and lacquer tree.
Urushiol is not something to take lightly it is in the same sort of
chemical weapon class as mustard gas but naturally made by plants. It is
also the basis of Japanese lacquerware - harmless once polymerised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacardiaceae

Cashew nuts come from the type species and includes a warning about how
to roast the nuts to detoxify them whilst avoiding the smoke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

I would not burn sumac either.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-06-2012, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dean25" wrote in message
news
'David Rance[_6_ Wrote:
haha how funny, thanks David, theres no need to be like that. Its
gardening!

Quite. Now if you'd take your own advice and move on.

How about you go out for a stroll on a fine day and talk to a few of
these various neighbours who are actually growing the Sumachs you
desire. Ask over the garden fence, as you just happen to be walking by,
if they'd like to get rid of a few of those suckers which you know can
be a bit of a nuisance to some people. I'm sure someone will be only too
glad to be rid of them. You can offer to do the digging up if they like
and give them a plant swap, or to mow their lawn in return or whatever.
Next thing you know they won't be strangers and you'll have made new
gardening acquaintances. It'd be a more sensible use of your time than
arguing on the Interwebz at any rate.

--
Sue

Old 13-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered User

Im not a gardenbanterer either, I just typed gardening forum on google and joint the first one that came up. Yes I have found this website confusing and to be honest, I Wont be here for long! Thank you to everyone who did give me advice though. Going to ask some of the volunteers I work with if they have Sumachs! Dean

Old 13-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered User

Yes thats true, although I dont expect to argue with people on a garden forum! I guess I will have to ask someone who has a tree locally (there arnt that many near me, I have looked!) It also needs to be in a suitable place to harvest suckers. Some peoples trees dont sucker atall and some sucker through lawn or gravel, Im not going to even try asking them to dig up there lawn or gravel! I thought if I messaged on here at least the person would know plants and be more inclined to help me! Dean
Old 13-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
On 12/06/2012 16:58, Dean25 wrote:
Janet;961444 Wrote:
In article , Dean25.a4c6176
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...-

Janet;961348 Wrote: -
In article
, Dean25.a4bb8b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...
-
[...]

Anacardiaceae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cashew nuts come from the type species and includes a warning about how
to roast the nuts to detoxify them whilst avoiding the smoke.

Cashew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would not burn sumac either.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Thank you for your advice, as ive mentioned I was totally confused about where I was posting etc, it was very confusing. I know a good deal about Rhus species and Although it is unpopular, that doesnt bother me. I love the Furry new growth, The seedheads, the architecture of the tree, the red autumn leaves, everything about them really! And im sure I will manage to scrump some suckers soon enough :-) I have heard alot of warnings about how poisonous they are actually.
Old 13-06-2012, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 11:18*pm, Dean25 wrote:
Janet;961348 Wrote:

In article , Dean25.a4bb8b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...
-
Im really just looking for replies from people who have the tree!
Helpful comments only people!-

You appear to be under the delusion *you have reached the customer
advisory desk at a garden centre dedicated to serving you.

This is a discussion group, called uk.rec.gardening, which *is
completely independent of gardenbanter.

There is no membership, no moderator, anyone here is free to DISCUSS
rhus
typhina whether or not what they say is relevent to your
post.Gardenbanter
has no control over what is discussed here, or who replies, and neither
do
you.

Janet.

Your incredibly rude Janet. I had never used this site before until last
night and if I was deluded it certainly didnt warrant your DISGUSTING
message.

No she just says the simple truth.
Old 13-06-2012, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 22:46:44 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , Dean25.a4d5e96
says...

. I CREATED this
thread with the intention of aquiring suckers from someone local, I
didnt CREATE this thread to discuss Sumachs with people.

You have created this thread in a discussion group which exists purely,
for other people to discuss plants, gardens, and garden related issues.

"other people" - eh? Just tell him he is not welcome and be done with it.

(I of course think that he is spot on having been on the receiving end of some
of your less than helpful comments)

Pruning sumach Tahi United Kingdom 1 19-03-2010 02:57 PM
Rhus typhina patrick j[_2_] United Kingdom 13 29-07-2008 04:31 PM
Staghorn Sumach T. Sheehan United Kingdom 3 13-06-2005 08:39 PM
WTB: Stag\Elk Horns (ferns) CANB bleanne Australia 0 05-05-2003 03:09 AM
does this sound like Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)? griffon Gardening 1 03-04-2003 01:32 AM