Old 18-06-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any owners of Rhus, stag horn sumach tree please read.

On 2012-06-18 15:50:24 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
I think it's fair to say that everyone is welcome in urg and that most
urglers try to be helpful. But if they come via e.g. Gardenbanter it
may help *them* to realise that they're not in a straight question and
answer situation. Because this is a discussion-about-gardening group,
they will get a lot of opinions, some of which conflict! What they
won't get, usually, is Answer B to Question A.
--
Sacha

Gardening is like that though. I've just been to a garden centre where
people having been piling the most hideous mix (to my eyes) of bedding
and hanging basket plants onto their trollies, without much though for
whether the plants are all for sunny positions or for shady areas and
intend, from their remarks, them to all be placed together.

However they may not like my carefully co-ordinated pastel colour
schemes either but each to his own

When we make up hanging baskets for orders, we always ask if they're
going to be in sun or shade. Choice of colour is up to the customer, of
course. But when people choose for themselves, it's impossible to guide
them unless they ask for help.
--
Sacha

If I concrete over my hanging baskets and before the concrete goes off I
stick a plastic daisy in it and I am pleased with it. Is that wrong? And
who are you or anybody else, to tell me it is wrong?

"MY" hanging basket. "MY" planning. "MY" pleasure.

A dig has already been made at someone's idea of hanging baskets. Shame on
you

What in the world are you talking about???? Surely everyone is entitled to
their own opinion? You are certainly expressing yours!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-06-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Old 18-06-2012, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-18 17:49:06 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

On 2012-06-18 15:50:24 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha

[...]

You've just found out why he's in most peoples' kill files. There's no
sense to many of these diatribes. Nobody has made a dig at anyone. If
people want help as to light or shade for their plants, or indeed any
help, they have only to ask is what I wrote. I actually said "Choice of
colour is up to the customer". Apparently, on Planet Crowe, this makes me
some kind of would-be arbiter of others' taste!

*rolls eyes* Understood!

--

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-18 17:49:06 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

On 2012-06-18 15:50:24 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha

[...]

www.hillhousenursery.com
www.hillhousenurserytearoom.com
South Devon

""" Nobody has made a dig at anyone."""

No?

What's this? A Scotch Mist?

We've just gone past a house with about 6 hanging baskets. Every basket
is lined with black polythene and is planted only with one single
upright conifer about 2' tall. They are beyond ugly but they also look
serously weird. Whoever thinks of planting a conifer in a hanging
basket and all on its own, too?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
www.hillhousenurserytearoom.com
South Devon

That appears to have come from you. Correct me if I am wrong.

(My spell checker wanted to correct your spelling mistake)

Kindest possible regards

Mike
On the Sunny South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Old 28-04-2014, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

this is top class entertainment. The bad tempered garden forum.

Old 28-04-2014, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

?!? When was this thread?

I didn't see the original, so either I had the OP consigned to the sin bin,
or it's a long-gone thread.

Stag horn sumach is a bit tedious for its tendency to sucker

Native here; the blooming spikes make a lovely lemon-flavored tea.
They're a frequent first colonizer when open fields are unmowed for a few
years.

Old 29-08-2020, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, June 11, 2012 at 12:46:59 AM UTC+1, Dean25 wrote:
Hey there to anyone reading this, I live in the the Uk, Bucks im 25 and
a keen gardener. A plant which I am currently growing from seed is Rhus
Typhinia, stags horn sumach, my favourite tree, I already know alot
about the tree but Im Wondering If anyone Who doesnt live a million
miles away from me has a parent tree they could Propogate some suckers
from for me?!

Apparently they grow more rapidly from suckers than seed. Im aware the
plant/tree has some unpopular habits but I love them! I hope to hear
from anyone who can help. Obviously Happy to swap/pay for them etc :-)
Dean
Hello im Clive, I have being nurturing them for about a year and have some varied specimens. if you like i can take some photos. They are in pots which is best first. They are best planted on a raised bed where suckers in the future are easily dealt with. Most have been lopped to form a different habit , some say more like a palm tree look.

--
Dean25

Old 29-08-2020, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, June 11, 2012 at 12:46:59 AM UTC+1, Dean25 wrote:
Hey there to anyone reading this, I live in the the Uk, Bucks im 25 and
a keen gardener. A plant which I am currently growing from seed is Rhus
Typhinia, stags horn sumach, my favourite tree, I already know alot
about the tree but Im Wondering If anyone Who doesnt live a million
miles away from me has a parent tree they could Propogate some suckers
from for me?!

Apparently they grow more rapidly from suckers than seed. Im aware the
plant/tree has some unpopular habits but I love them! I hope to hear
from anyone who can help. Obviously Happy to swap/pay for them etc :-)
Dean

--
Dean25

I am Clive I think i can help

Old 30-08-2020, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, June 11, 2012 at 12:46:59 AM UTC+1, Dean25 wrote:
Hey there to anyone reading this, I live in the the Uk, Bucks im 25 and
a keen gardener. A plant which I am currently growing from seed is Rhus
Typhinia, stags horn sumach, my favourite tree, I already know alot
about the tree but Im Wondering If anyone Who doesnt live a million
miles away from me has a parent tree they could Propogate some suckers
from for me?!

Apparently they grow more rapidly from suckers than seed. Im aware the
plant/tree has some unpopular habits but I love them! I hope to hear
from anyone who can help. Obviously Happy to swap/pay for them etc :-)
Dean

--
Dean25

I have been collecting this tree/shrub for a while. I have varied sizes, lopped unlopped for bush habit and treated roots that is root balled.
I have replied before and will be ready soon to sell them off.
Old 30-08-2020, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/08/2020 13:12, Clive Nicholas wrote:
[...]

I think in the last 8 years he has probably found some by now

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Pruning sumach Tahi United Kingdom 1 19-03-2010 02:57 PM
Rhus typhina patrick j[_2_] United Kingdom 13 29-07-2008 04:31 PM
Staghorn Sumach T. Sheehan United Kingdom 3 13-06-2005 08:39 PM
WTB: Stag\Elk Horns (ferns) CANB bleanne Australia 0 05-05-2003 03:09 AM
does this sound like Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)? griffon Gardening 1 03-04-2003 01:32 AM