Old 14-07-2012, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I'll have webbed feet soon

If it doesn't stop raining in Leics. Throwing down all day again, had a
bit of a break for an hour or so, and back to it.
Will it ever stop?

I seem to remember that when you were all worrying about drought in the UK,
I said it would sort itself out. It has, just like I knew it would ;-)
Maybe not quite like we wanted exactly.

Old 14-07-2012, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 14, 12:21*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
If it doesn't stop raining in Leics. *Throwing down all day again, had *a
bit of a break for an hour or so, and back to it.
Will it ever stop?

I seem to remember that when you were all worrying about drought in the UK,
I said it would sort itself out. *It has, just like I knew it would ;-)
Maybe not quite like we wanted exactly.

The length of time it has been raining virtually every day for months
on end is unbelievable. Long-term records have been broken. I am
strongly tempted to think it is due to global warming causing weather
extremes. How else can you account for it? Anyway, it makes gardening
very difficult that is for sure and food producers must be going
frantic.

Doug.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
If it doesn't stop raining in Leics. Throwing down all day again, had a
bit of a break for an hour or so, and back to it.
Will it ever stop?

I seem to remember that when you were all worrying about drought in the
UK,
I said it would sort itself out. It has, just like I knew it would ;-)
Maybe not quite like we wanted exactly.

The length of time it has been raining virtually every day for months
on end is unbelievable. Long-term records have been broken. I am
strongly tempted to think it is due to global warming causing weather
extremes. How else can you account for it? Anyway, it makes gardening
very difficult that is for sure and food producers must be going
frantic.

Doug.

I grow my potatoes in pots and plastic boxes in the back yard. Had secretary
of local allotment society call to collect an item I was giving away and his
comments were, "you've got a better crop than most on the allotments".

Makes one feel on top of the world....!!

Jim G

Old 14-07-2012, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 14, 7:35*am, Doug wrote:
On Jul 14, 12:21*am, "Christina wrote:
If it doesn't stop raining in Leics. *Throwing down all day again, had *a
bit of a break for an hour or so, and back to it.
Will it ever stop?

I seem to remember that when you were all worrying about drought in the UK,
I said it would sort itself out. *It has, just like I knew it would ;-)
Maybe not quite like we wanted exactly.

The length of time it has been raining virtually every day for months
on end is unbelievable. Long-term records have been broken. I am
strongly tempted to think it is due to global warming causing weather
extremes. How else can you account for it? Anyway, it makes gardening
very difficult that is for sure and food producers must be going
frantic.

Doug.

Doug I think you will find from responses to my previous posts
mentioning global warming, that in common with nearly all avid
consumers of corporate media bullshit (which suggests global warming
either doesnt exist or is irrelevant), that posters to this NG accept
the corp media crap rather than the evidence provided by their own
eyes...................
Old 14-07-2012, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I blame the stupid people who a few weeks, yes a few weeks, ago were
bemoaning a draught that is would take many a month to recover from.
Reminds me so much when, in the late 70s, the minister of draught was
transferred to the job of floods, nothing changes, why can't politicians
keep their noses out of common folks lives?

Old 14-07-2012, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim G wrote ...
"Doug" wrote "Christina Websell" wrote:
[...]

Be careful, you may yet get Blight, all our potatoes have this last week and
I've cut the tops of them all.
Prior to that they were growing better then I've ever seen with very thick
strong hulms which is always a good sign and the earlies have been fantastic
croppers.
Strange thing is not everyone on the allotments is affected, probably 50% so
far. The two ladies from Madeira who grow a high percentage of potatoes
don't seem affected at all, I'm wondering what variety they both grow, they
have both told me they mostly grow stuff from their homeland.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-07-2012, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

If it doesn't stop raining in Leics. Throwing down all day again, had a
bit of a break for an hour or so, and back to it.
Will it ever stop?

I seem to remember that when you were all worrying about drought in the UK,
I said it would sort itself out. It has, just like I knew it would ;-)
Maybe not quite like we wanted exactly.

Went down the plot yesterday to cut off and remove the last of the potato
hulms due to blight and after the rain went over yet again there was
standing water either side of the humps. Looked weird with strips of water
between the humps.
Whilst we garden on Thames silt/clay it's never been so wet and sticky as it
is now, I think it's going to take a while to get back into a decent tilth
once this stops.
At least the carrots look good in their old water tank and the 2nd lot of
parsnips we sowed have finally started to germinate so we will get a few
after all.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-07-2012, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote

If it doesn't stop raining in Leics. Throwing down all day again, had a
bit of a break for an hour or so, and back to it.
Will it ever stop?

I seem to remember that when you were all worrying about drought in the
UK, I said it would sort itself out. It has, just like I knew it would
;-)
Maybe not quite like we wanted exactly.

Went down the plot yesterday to cut off and remove the last of the potato
hulms due to blight and after the rain went over yet again there was
standing water either side of the humps. Looked weird with strips of water
between the humps.
Whilst we garden on Thames silt/clay it's never been so wet and sticky as
it is now, I think it's going to take a while to get back into a decent
tilth once this stops.
At least the carrots look good in their old water tank and the 2nd lot of
parsnips we sowed have finally started to germinate so we will get a few
after all.
--

Same here Bob. I still have standing water on a quarter of the plot Toms and
runners rotting. Like you, sticky clay soil at the bottom of a hill. Another

Old 14-07-2012, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My cousin was born with webbed feet but she still complains about the
weather!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 14-07-2012, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

My cousin was born with webbed feet but she still complains about the
weather!

It's when you start to develop gills that you really have to worry,
but that is mainly a problem for the residents of Arkham.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-07-2012, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 14, 11:28*am, wrote:
In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

My cousin was born with webbed feet but she still complains about the
weather!

It's when you start to develop gills that you really have to worry,
but that is mainly a problem for the residents of Arkham.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Seems astounding that posters here feel that the decimation of our
planet due to the effects of unrestricted pollution, causing global
warming, is a matter to be joked about?

Guess the corp media agenda is firstly to suggest global warming
doesnt exist, and then further the view than any who might claim
otherwise is some sort of loony....................
Old 14-07-2012, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/07/2012 07:58, Steerpike wrote:
On Jul 14, 7:35 am, Doug wrote:
[...]

Yes we are having global warming, where I differ is that I am by no
means convinced it is due to our actions. After all the planet has
warmed up (and cooled down) on previous occasions, even as short a time
ago as the Roman dominations the planet was warmer than now. And not as
long as that people regularly skated on the Thames. How do you explain
that Mars has warmed up in recent years, now if it had been the moon we
could blame the Americans! ;-O

Old 14-07-2012, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 03:37:36 -0700 (PDT), Steerpike
wrote:

On Jul 14, 11:28*am, wrote:
In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

My cousin was born with webbed feet but she still complains about the
weather!

It's when you start to develop gills that you really have to worry,
but that is mainly a problem for the residents of Arkham.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Seems astounding that posters here feel that the decimation of our
planet due to the effects of unrestricted pollution, causing global
warming, is a matter to be joked about?

In my case it isn't a joke. My cousin does have webbed feet.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com