Old 30-10-2012, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Default Mowers

My Honda HR216 is worn out. To get an equivalent spec I would have to
buy Hayter
http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrie...utodrive-es-vs.
Unfortunately my independent servicing guy says they dont match up to
Honda.
(Belt Drive/ Briggs engine etc.)

Anyone comment on Hayter ?
Old 30-10-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob" wrote in message ...

My Honda HR216 is worn out. To get an equivalent spec I would have to buy
Hayter
http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrie...utodrive-es-vs.
Unfortunately my independent servicing guy says they dont match up to
Honda.
(Belt Drive/ Briggs engine etc.)

Anyone comment on Hayter ?

I have a Harrier 56, and despite abusing it quite badly in its early life
it still works well and starts easily. I don't know about longevity as I
have only owned it 16 years.
I have yet to replace the drive belt. The battery is knackered and has been
for eight years but it starts so easily on the rope that I have not bothered
replacing it.

Mike

Old 30-10-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob wrote in :

My Honda HR216 is worn out. To get an equivalent spec I would have to
buy Hayter
http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrie...utodrive-es-vs.
Unfortunately my independent servicing guy says they dont match up to
Honda.
(Belt Drive/ Briggs engine etc.)

Anyone comment on Hayter ?

I have no comment on Hayter, but Honda is probably one of the best and most
reliable.
I know you have said yours is worn out but have you considered having it
repaired? It is worth considering. Better the devil you know.

Baz
Old 30-10-2012, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

On 30/10/2012 12:11, Baz wrote:

I have no comment on Hayter, but Honda is probably one of the best and most
reliable. I know you have said yours is worn out but have you considered having it
repaired? It is worth considering. Better the devil you know.

Baz

Problem is:
The blade worked lose and chopped a lump of the internal rim of the
deckIt needs
a new battery, and grass box cover, The engine is burning oil and whilst new
rings might extend the life I'm told not for long. So it might have to
be new GXV160
Add all that adds up (£500 +) so I though I might as well go for new !!

Old 30-10-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rob
writes
My Honda HR216 is worn out. To get an equivalent spec I would have to
buy Hayter
http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrie...utodrive-es-vs.
Unfortunately my independent servicing guy says they dont match up to
Honda.
(Belt Drive/ Briggs engine etc.)

Anyone comment on Hayter ?

Hayter are really the best machines I've ever used, really good , Stand
up to a lot of wear and tear though currently i have to find a fuel cap
for a harrier 48 and can't find one on the net for love nor money. It
presumably vibrated off but I couldn't find it and I know it was there
when i started the lawn!!

If anyone knows where i can get a fuel cap for a Hayter harrier 48 I
will be eternally grateful!!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 30-10-2012, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:45:29 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Rob
writes
My Honda HR216 is worn out. To get an equivalent spec I would have to
buy Hayter
http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrie...utodrive-es-vs.
Unfortunately my independent servicing guy says they dont match up to
Honda.
(Belt Drive/ Briggs engine etc.)

Anyone comment on Hayter ?

Hayter are really the best machines I've ever used, really good , Stand
up to a lot of wear and tear though currently i have to find a fuel cap
for a harrier 48 and can't find one on the net for love nor money. It
presumably vibrated off but I couldn't find it and I know it was there
when i started the lawn!!

If anyone knows where i can get a fuel cap for a Hayter harrier 48 I
will be eternally grateful!!

Perhaps from here
http://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk...ter_harrier_48

If you can find the filler cap or even the fuel tank you are doing
better than me. They must be there somewhere.
--

Martin

http://www.spares4me.co.uk/sp/c/Hayt...rier_41_Spares

Old 30-10-2012, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:07:22 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:45:29 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Rob
writes
[...]

There have lots of fuel caps. Maybe you know which one you need.
I'd phone them.

Enter
Fuel Cap
in the search window.
--

Martin

http://www.spares4me.co.uk/sp/c/Hayt...rier_41_Spares

This site has exploded drawings of the machines complete with part number

Old 30-10-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, 30 October 2012 09:43:41 UTC, Rob wrote:
My Honda HR216 is worn out. To get an equivalent spec I would have to

buy Hayter

http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrie...utodrive-es-vs.

Unfortunately my independent servicing guy says they dont match up to

Honda.

(Belt Drive/ Briggs engine etc.)

Anyone comment on Hayter ?

I would say the Honda quivalent is only worth considering if you really need the hydrostatic transmission - yes I know the ability to creep along on high revs is useful but ime mainly on bigger heavier machines.
So given that Hayters are good robust machines, Briggs engines are OK as far as I'm concerned and Harriers in various incarnations have been around a long time, you just have to decide if hydrostatic is worth the extra.

Rod
Old 30-10-2012, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob" wrote
My Honda HR216 is worn out. To get an equivalent spec I would have to buy
Hayter
http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrie...utodrive-es-vs.
Unfortunately my independent servicing guy says they dont match up to
Honda.
(Belt Drive/ Briggs engine etc.)

Anyone comment on Hayter ?

I also have a Hayter 41 electric what I found out after some damage caused
by me is that you can actually get spares and if there is a weakness they
change the design or material used. I am quite impressed with my old machine
which I inherited from my mother in 93 so it must be about 25 years old.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-10-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob wrote in :

On 30/10/2012 12:11, Baz wrote:

I have no comment on Hayter, but Honda is probably one of the best
and most reliable. I know you have said yours is worn out but have
you considered having it repaired? It is worth considering. Better
the devil you know.

Baz

Problem is:
The blade worked lose and chopped a lump of the internal rim of the
deckIt needs
a new battery, and grass box cover, The engine is burning oil and
whilst new rings might extend the life I'm told not for long. So it
might have to be new GXV160
Add all that adds up (£500 +) so I though I might as well go for new
!!

Oh yes. Worn out!
New rings and a rebore would always be better than just new rings, but in
your case with the damage, I think yes, time to move on.

Best of luck with what mower you choose.
Baz

Old 31-10-2012, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Perhaps from here
http://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk...ter_harrier_48

If you can find the filler cap or even the fuel tank you are doing
better than me. They must be there somewhere.
--

Martin

Yes saw their website (in case David H. thinks I haven't looked )but
they don't list the fuel cap nor does it look from their plan of the
machine that they designate a special order number to it separately.
I certainly don't want a whole fuel tank!!

Brother lives in Shoreham so I'll get him to go and find out.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 31-10-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Read my next post.
--

Martin

I got that you had found a Briggs and wotsit cap Martin but that doesn't
look like fuel cap from the Hayter Harrier.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 31-10-2012, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
neither of them?

That really is a shame. It's odd that Hayter didn't use a Briggs and
wotsit fuel cap on a Briggs and wotsit engine. If the fuel tank is a
B& wotsit fuel tank then the cap should fit.

Good luck with the hunt for the real thing. Do let us know if you find
one.

The one I want is flatter but I'll keep trying to find one! Is the
engine maker the same as the fuel tank maker then?
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 31-10-2012, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

On 31/10/2012 12:40, Baz wrote:
Rob wrote in :

Problem is:
The blade worked lose and chopped a lump of the internal rim of the
deckIt needs
a new battery, and grass box cover, The engine is burning oil and
whilst new rings might extend the life I'm told not for long. So it
might have to be new GXV160
All that adds up (£500 +) so I though I might as well go for new
!!

Oh yes. Worn out!
New rings and a rebore would always be better than just new rings, but in
your case with the damage, I think yes, time to move on.

Best of luck with what mower you choose.
Baz

Been an interesting thread, as usual morphing somewhere else. I was
giving consideration
the Hayter and whilst there are clearly posters here who have v.good
experiences
elsewhere on the net there are some pretty grimstories. I'm minded to
do without the stripes and go for the HRX 537 HZ. The question is what
is the right time "strike". Would January produce sales ?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:24:06 PM UTC, Rob wrote:
On 30/10/2012 12:11, Baz wrote:

I have no comment on Hayter, but Honda is probably one of the best and most
reliable. I know you have said yours is worn out but have you considered having it
repaired? It is worth considering. Better the devil you know.

Baz

Problem is:
The blade worked lose and chopped a lump of the internal rim of the
deckIt needs
a new battery, and grass box cover, The engine is burning oil and whilst new
rings might extend the life I'm told not for long. So it might have to
be new GXV160
Add all that adds up (�500 +) so I though I might as well go for new !!

500?! Take it to a backstreet car mechanic

NT

Electric mowers [email protected] North Carolina 0 30-03-2003 05:08 PM
Greenfield Mowers len brauer Australia 10 30-03-2003 03:08 PM
Do mulcher mowers work? Iain McWilliams United Kingdom 8 29-03-2003 08:32 AM
Riding mowers Pat Keith Lawns 4 27-03-2003 01:32 AM
Lawn mowers Jamangie Kaungla Lawns 0 04-12-2002 09:37 PM