Old 20-11-2012, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

On 20/11/2012 22:25, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

Go and look in demon.service for the threads about how to do it.
Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes tried Thunderbird Martin but not good for news groups like this
whereas Turnpike does everything seamlessly!
I have looked in demon service but it tells you all about migrating
and using most software packages just not their own!

I found out how to change stuff without too much trouble, but I forget
where.

If you go to Configure|Email transfer in the Turnpike menu, you can
add a mail server. The server name is mail.demon.co.uk, and the
mailbox name is . If you ask in
news:demon.service someone should be able to give you any more details
you require.

Oops. nezumi is Martin's domain, not Janet's. Sorry.

Replace nezumi which whatever is appropriate.

It is also very unhelpful to broadcast that particular email handle in
the clear on Usenet. I have redacted it in the above quote and would be
grateful if you would issue message cancels against the two posts you
have made that include my administrator email address in the clear.

I learnt a long time ago only to use sacrificial obfuscated and hardened
email addresses on Usenet after the great Swenfest of 2002 where I
clocked up 1GB/day of inbound hostile mail.

By the way, you should be able to continue using Turnpike for Usenet,
regardless of what you do for email.

As I still can't figure out how to migrate my websites on direct-nic
and have had to leave my websites untouched for about 6 months -
using my emails is also going down the tube by the look of it

Don't they have a help file explaining what they did to the new improved
servers? My lot do this periodically too. I am presently locked out of
one website where the password is awaiting sysop reset since it is
definitely not what I set it too any more.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-11-2012, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
It is also very unhelpful to broadcast that particular email handle in
the clear on Usenet. I have redacted it in the above quote and would be
grateful if you would issue message cancels against the two posts you
have made that include my administrator email address in the clear.

I learnt a long time ago only to use sacrificial obfuscated and
hardened email addresses on Usenet after the great Swenfest of 2002
where I clocked up 1GB/day of inbound hostile mail.

Sorry - the hazard escaped my recollection. Cancels issued.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-11-2012, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 18:22, usenet2012 wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 13:51, usenet2012 wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

Sadly nothing like for our uses here. (& my SO couldn't get her head
around Forte at all).

How so? TB can be made pretty similar to TP behaviour with a few tweaks.

The only thing I miss in TB cf TP is the ability to have wildcard rules.
In theory I have solved that with an addin but it never worked for me.

Can TB do mailing-list routing to newsgroups now?

Never tried. Perhaps not. It can certainly do mailing list routing to
folders and have those folders display the posts in threaded fashion
and use separate distinct personalities for each folder.

Ahhh, I'll take another look. Thanks.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old 21-11-2012, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/11/2012 23:44, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
It is also very unhelpful to broadcast that particular email handle in
the clear on Usenet. I have redacted it in the above quote and would
be grateful if you would issue message cancels against the two posts
you have made that include my administrator email address in the clear.

I learnt a long time ago only to use sacrificial obfuscated and
hardened email addresses on Usenet after the great Swenfest of 2002
where I clocked up 1GB/day of inbound hostile mail.

Sorry - the hazard escaped my recollection. Cancels issued.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 21-11-2012, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

There is a link to turnpike instructions from he
http://help.demon.net/email-migration/

it leads to:
http://help.demon.net/help-articles/...qs/tunrpike-co
nfiguration-guide/

--
regards andyw

Old 21-11-2012, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin Brown
writes
It is also very unhelpful to broadcast that particular email handle in
the clear on Usenet. I have redacted it in the above quote and would be
grateful if you would issue message cancels against the two posts you
have made that include my administrator email address in the clear.

I learnt a long time ago only to use sacrificial obfuscated and
hardened email addresses on Usenet after the great Swenfest of 2002
where I clocked up 1GB/day of inbound hostile mail.

Er, um Stewart seems to think I can delete this for you Martin but I
can't see how would if I could.............
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 21-11-2012, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bert ]
writes
The major problem is with Demons new mail service which changes mail
headers and in doing so destroys TPs folder routing rules.
Lots of info in both aforementioned newsgroups. Lot's of helpful people
in there too.
--
bert

stopped supporting their software. Will resuscribe.

--
Janet Tweedy
Old 21-11-2012, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Thunderbird works for newsgroups like this.

What couldn't you do?

Thunderbird on my machine didn't download this gardening group. Tried
various ways and the spidery text with all the different colours etc.
was awful compared to this solid one via Turnpike
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 23-11-2012, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:54:51 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:
Thunderbird on my machine didn't download this gardening group. Tried
various ways and the spidery text with all the different colours etc.
was awful compared to this solid one via Turnpike

I just tried it on my PC. The text is normal. You can select the font
and font size used.
Tools
Display

The coloured bars show who posted the messages. In fact I prefer the
presentation to that used by Agent :-)

I've not tried Thunderbird yet although my son did try and persuade me.
Does the coloured bar thing sort itself out after line wrapping? One
minor annoyance about OE is how the quote marks tend to get all out of
kilter after a requote or two, and I correct them manually if I notice
in
time.

--
Sue

Old 23-11-2012, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
The coloured bars show who posted the messages. In fact I prefer the
presentation to that used by Agent :-)

I prefer Turnpike as it has red for reply then black for current text.
Much easier to see and lined up left margin so it doesn't stray across
the page!
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 23-11-2012, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin
writes
The coloured bars show who posted the messages. In fact I prefer the
presentation to that used by Agent :-)

I prefer Turnpike as it has red for reply then black for current text.
Much easier to see and lined up left margin so it doesn't stray across
the page!

People who've used TP love it. Those who haven't don't understand.
Bit like Land Rovers.
--
bert
Old 24-11-2012, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:59:55 -0000, "Sue" wrote:
"Martin" wrote
The coloured bars show who posted the messages. In fact I prefer the
presentation to that used by Agent :-)

I've not tried Thunderbird yet although my son did try and persuade
me.
Does the coloured bar thing sort itself out after line wrapping? One
minor annoyance about OE is how the quote marks tend to get all out of
kilter after a requote or two, and I correct them manually if I notice
in time.

Ignore my previous answer. It does cope with line wrapping.

Ah good. Thanks.

--
Sue

Old 25-11-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
I can't find a thread that is long enough to see the effect of line
wrapping.
As each bar only tales up one character one needs quite a long thread
to see what it does.

No I did get that martin, the whole thread disappears off the page with
a rainbow effect of different colours etc.!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-11-2012, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Agent & Thunderbird use blue and black colours and text is left
justified/doesn't stray across the page. Other than your preference
for red I don't see the difference. AFAIR the blue can be changed to
red by the user. Aren't you looking for an alternative to Turnpike?

Tried Agent, got very confusing trying to work out which newsgroups I
wanted to see and very difficult to see threads like TP. Thunderbird
seemed only capable of picking up a limited amount of stuff.

Judging by the Demon forum this migration of email is neither wanted nor
greeted enthusiastically. i don't now feel so thick as i did before I
realised that many others have no idea what these wonderful new
advantages are or indeed mean
Old 26-11-2012, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin
writes
Agent & Thunderbird use blue and black colours and text is left
justified/doesn't stray across the page. Other than your preference
for red I don't see the difference. AFAIR the blue can be changed to
red by the user. Aren't you looking for an alternative to Turnpike?

Tried Agent, got very confusing trying to work out which newsgroups I
wanted to see and very difficult to see threads like TP. Thunderbird
seemed only capable of picking up a limited amount of stuff.

Judging by the Demon forum this migration of email is neither wanted
nor greeted enthusiastically. i don't now feel so thick as i did before
I realised that many others have no idea what these wonderful new
advantages are or indeed mean

I think it's to improve IMAP access for smart phones etc whereas TP uses
POP3.
The best solution seems to be to route all your mail into one or more
sub accounts and collect from those with TP when the routing rules will
still work. If you try to use the default administrator mailbox all the
headers get re-written and TP can't sort out to whom the e-mail was
originally addressed.

Can't help you much more than that as I quit Demon just before the new
mail system came in. It is outsourced now and based on Mickiesoft
Xchange.
--
bert