Old 14-06-2013, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pomegranate

A few years on and our Pomegranate shrub, 7ft tall, has a number of flower
buds on it. I understood that it was unusual for them to flower in the UK
and I certainly would not have expected it after last years bad summer.
Don't hold out any chance of fruit but how are others doing?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 14-06-2013, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2013 08:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
A few years on and our Pomegranate shrub, 7ft tall, has a number of flower
buds on it. I understood that it was unusual for them to flower in the UK
and I certainly would not have expected it after last years bad summer.
Don't hold out any chance of fruit but how are others doing?

Pomegranates don't seem to have a problem flowering in the UK. There
used to be a couple of 2m+ double-flowered pomegranate bushes near the
abbey ruins in Lesnes Abbey Park garden (SE London) which flowered well
every year. But that was in the 90s, and I haven't been there for many
years.

But AFAIK pomegranates don't fruit in the UK.

--

Jeff
Old 14-06-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-14 08:47:51 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

A few years on and our Pomegranate shrub, 7ft tall, has a number of
flower buds on it. I understood that it was unusual for them to flower
in the UK and I certainly would not have expected it after last years
bad summer. Don't hold out any chance of fruit but how are others doing?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

The ex in-laws had one in Jersey that flowered regularly but never
fruited. I think theirs was a miniature variety but my memory is of a
long time ago. From what I recall, they lost it in an unusually hard
winter. But while they do flower in warm, sheltered gardens, I've never
heard of one fruiting. Perhaps others will know if they do, though. I
think they're absolutely beautiful trees.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-06-2013, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:47:51 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

A few years on and our Pomegranate shrub, 7ft tall, has a number of flower
buds on it. I understood that it was unusual for them to flower in the UK
and I certainly would not have expected it after last years bad summer.
Don't hold out any chance of fruit but how are others doing?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I have a sort of bonsai one in a pot which has died back a lot in the
last few winters. It has never yet flowered although I've had it
(grown from a pip) for about 25 years I live in hope! I used to have a
miniature one (nana) which flowered regularly, but it is no longer
with me!

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-06-2013, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/13 08:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
A few years on and our Pomegranate shrub, 7ft tall, has a number of
flower buds on it. I understood that it was unusual for them to flower
in the UK and I certainly would not have expected it after last years
bad summer. Don't hold out any chance of fruit but how are others doing?

The winter killed mine.

It also killed a small bay tree, a mature potato vine, the best part of
a peach tree and has severely cut-back my Brown Turkey

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 15-06-2013, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
RustyHinge wrote:
On 14/06/13 08:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
A few years on and our Pomegranate shrub, 7ft tall, has a number of
flower buds on it. I understood that it was unusual for them to flower
in the UK and I certainly would not have expected it after last years
bad summer. Don't hold out any chance of fruit but how are others doing?

The winter killed mine.

A previous one killed mine - they are far tougher than the books
say, but definitely not hardy.

It also killed a small bay tree, a mature potato vine, the best part of
a peach tree and has severely cut-back my Brown Turkey

That's sad. How well does your soil drain? Of those, the only one
thap happened here was the last - and you don't kill a fig by cutting
it back hard!

I lost a thyme, hyssop and most of my ancient winter savory, but
they don't like wet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[IBC] Pomegranate Louis Brooks Bonsai 16 02-02-2005 01:18 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate seeds john heller Bonsai 0 26-11-2003 06:22 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate training Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 3 03-03-2003 02:39 PM
Pomegranate training Mauricio Drelichman Bonsai 2 01-03-2003 09:28 PM
Pomegranate seeds Frogleg Edible Gardening 4 23-01-2003 04:54 PM