Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New neighbours

In article ,
says...
c.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

Except, that 2 years ago urg saw a previous ugly history of
Christina's tree-wars with adjoining neighbours. snip
Janet.

Nothing like inflaming the situation, Janet. You really don't do
'subtle suggestion', unfortunately.

--

Sacha

True Sacha - especially as Christina clearly stated "new" neighbours in
the current situation.

This is not a new situation. Tina's rants are recycled regularly

Here's a few more

2009

From: "Christina Websell"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Can you heavily cut back a holly bush?

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:18:18 -0000

I am annoyed with my neighbours atm, they have severely pruned my
damsons and plum trees which has now made them lop sided. It's not like
it mattered much as they were a hundred yards down the garden and they
never normally go that far down there.
However, I do get a lot of footballs over here from their horrible
child, I usually throw them back but...
It's like this - you destroy my trees, the balls are toast."

From: "Christina Websell"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Fencing height

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010

My neighbours, who I initially got on very well with have turned into
the neighbours from hell. We have big gardens, very long, 156 yds, but
when a limb fell off an old plum tree of mine 100 yards down and into
their garden, they threw it back over and damaged a lot of my plants,
including a nice Knipfo. That is entirely not necessary.
It really isn't important to be so territorial, particular as they
rarely even go down their garden that far."

Old 10-02-2014, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:21:27 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops and
hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to get so
territorial I don't know.

I might just mention now how annoying their dog is, barking all day up at
the window through to my house but I had hoped not to have to say keep your
dog in the back of the house. Now I might.

I know that it is of little solace but be thankful for relatively
small mercies.

Some of the longerserving urglers may remember many years ago a post
of mine where the subject line was something like 'when gardening
styles collide'.

The new occupants of the property that runs below and across the
bottom of our garden decided to turn their gardens into a very modern,
somewhat sterile area of grey painted fencing and lots of paving with
some identical miniature conifers. Not our style but we had
absolutely no problem with it.

We returned from a few days away to discover that they climbed the dry
stone wall into our garden, cut back the mature hawthorn hedge, back
to soil level in one area and applied weed killer to an area of
brambles and undergrowth which we managed once year (cut back each
October) to provide habitat for insects and butterflies. Some small
branches (twigs) of the hawthorn undoubtedly did hang over the
boundary into their space but nothing else was even touching the wall
on our side.

When I raised it with them they told me that they thought it was far
too untidy, that we should not have a compost heap as it attracted
flies and that they had done us a favour by tidying it up.

I did explain the error of their ways (relatively politely under the
circumstances) and shortly after they erected a high (grey) timber
fence above the dry stone wall which I thought would be the end of it.

About a year later I noticed that a fence panel had been removed to
allow them to again enter our garden and cut back stuff that offended
them - this time including a couple of decent saplings and some
pyracantha that I had planted as a deterent and of course the
hawthorn.

I sent them a letter, in my best officialese, (I used to draft stuff
for pq's etc in another life) setting out in words of one sylabel what
they may do and may not do to the soft and hard landscaping on our
property and defining a clear line of demarcation which, I am
delighted to say, they have not crossed in the intervening years.
--
rbel
Old 11-02-2014, 02:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bert" ] wrote in message

I understand what you are saying but some people have a problem with trees
overhanging into their space.
I had one new neighbour and the very first thing she said to me when I
tried to introduce myself was, "So it's your tree overhanging my garden,
get it cut back", no please or nice to meet you or anything. Yet another
moved into a mature garden with fruit trees and ornamentals, OK they
needed some pruning, and the first and only thing they did in the garden
was cut everything off at ground level, literally. 6 months later then set
fire to it all in the middle of the lawn and it stayed like that until
they moved on.

We had new neighbours bit like that. They had 2 trees on the large front
garden been there 35 years and were actually covered by covenants but they
cut one off at ground level. We managed to save the other one. First time
in 35 years we have conflict with a neighbour, fortunately not next door
but opposite.
--
bert

There is no reason to do it, we have 450 ft gardens. and a branch or two has
never mattered.
But their dog barks far too much, they leave it and its up at the window
barking, and I've been good about it until now as it barks through my wall
all ferking day.

And if they take the backs of my fruit trees out again without consulting me
I will object to their dog. which I don't want to do. I love dogs. It's
left alone far too much and is up at the window looking for them and
barking, which drives me mad.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-09 16:38:41 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

On 2014-02-09 09:55:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:

Regardless of all these legal factors Christina has my every sympathy
especially over the Damson trees.
One can only hope that the neighbours did not realise the species of
tree
being chopped
and are a damson lovers themselves and will allow the trees to regrow
and
that all other matters
of concern to you can be resolved amicably.

Well, yes, but actually damsons are pretty resilient to being cut
back, and can even be cut down to the ground and regrown (if not
grafted or not cut below that). I let mine get out of hand, and
have taken 50% out of one and am taking 30% out of the other for
a few years. I agree that crude hacking at the wrong time of
year does increase the chances of disease.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Their approach is pretty heavy-handed, however. It would have been
neighbourly and polite to talk to Christina first.

Except, that 2 years ago urg saw a previous ugly history of
Christina's tree-wars with adjoining neighbours. snip
Janet.

Nothing like inflaming the situation, Janet. You really don't do 'subtle
suggestion', unfortunately.
--

Lets make this clear for Janet. I took some conifers out to appease my
previous neighbours and this is nothing to do with it. Back to the bozo bin

Old 11-02-2014, 03:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops and
hacked my damson trees. Without asking FGS. ...

Well obviously they should have asked first -- "May we discuss your
trees with you?" would have been my approach.

But I'm at a loss to see how they could have reduced your conifers to
lollipops? This implies that they've cut the tops off: how could they do
that, without entering your garden to do so?!

They've cut all the bottoms off

Try not to get annoyed with the dog; try to get used to it, so that it
becomes part of your "audio landscape". Difficult, but there's nothing
else you can do, and the alternative is too awful to contemplate.

Oh, I love dogs,but it's easy to strike back

J.

p.s. 150 yards? That's a hell of a garden! Lucky you!

Yes, it's a hell of a garden. 156 yards. I was not "lucky" I worked very
hard to afford it for years. Luck didn't come in to it.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post

Yet another moved
into a mature garden with fruit trees and ornamentals, OK they needed some
pruning, and the first and only thing they did in the garden was cut
everything off at ground level, literally. 6 months later then set fire to
it all in the middle of the lawn and it stayed like that until they moved
on.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
thats sounds dramatic!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-11 02:14:16 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"bert" ] wrote in message

[...]

You'll have to record it, Christina. I had a nutcase of an opposite
neighbour who used to shut her dogs outside at 4am and leave them there
to bark endlessly. She did this - and many other things - deliberately
to annoy her neighbours. I and others contacted the RSPCA who 'had a
word' and that put a stop to it. Dogs are not animals happy left alone
for long periods of time and this one is making that obvious! You may
need to get a special recording machine from the Environmental people
or your council because (iirc) they have timers which show how long the
dog barks for and at what time.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-02-2014, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gardenmaturin" wrote

Bob Hobden; Wrote:

Yet another moved
into a mature garden with fruit trees and ornamentals, OK they needed
some
pruning, and the first and only thing they did in the garden was cut
everything off at ground level, literally. 6 months later then set fire
it all in the middle of the lawn and it stayed like that until they
moved
on.

that sounds dramatic!

That is what we, as gardeners, thought. I spoke to the wife about it and
enquired what they were going to do and she said they intended to get the
garden landscaped. Two were mature fan trained apple trees covered in ripe
fruit and they just lay there fruit still attached until they were burnt
about 6 months later. The burnt area gradually grassed over at which point
they moved. None so strange as folk.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-11 02:14:16 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"bert" ] wrote in message

[...]

But she could (as she loves dogs) offer to have it during the day which
would make the dog happy! trouble with the official route is whilst you may
have right on your side and get the nuisance stopped you are still living
next door to the neighbours.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-02-2014, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Christina Websell" wrote:

"Another John" wrote in message
But I'm at a loss to see how they could have reduced your conifers to
lollipops? This implies that they've cut the tops off: how could they do
that, without entering your garden to do so?!

They've cut all the bottoms off

Ah - I see. I was thinking of "lollipopping" in hedgerows: when the
tractor simply cuts the tops off year after year, they end up as thick
stems with a very short bush on the top.

Cut the bottoms off? They entered your garden and cut off all the
bottoms? Unforgivable behaviour, not to say illegal. The same applies
even if they only "entered" by the length of their loppers.

J.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-11 02:14:16 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"bert" ] wrote in message

[...]

Oh certainly, a word with the neighbours is definitely the first and
best course. Yes, I'd offer to walk it during the day or something of
that sort but that might actually make the dog bark more when it has to
be shut up in the house again!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , sacha
writes

On 2014-02-11 02:14:16 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"bert" ] wrote in message

[...]

Dogs should be trained to stay on their own.
--
bert
Old 12-02-2014, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

"bert" wrote

[...]

How about asking if you could "babysit" their dog as it's barking all the
time when they are away, that gets the point over without confrontation.
Then you can talk money, I know two ladies of a certain age that do dog
strolling and babysitting and do quite well. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , sacha
writes

On 2014-02-11 02:14:16 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"bert" ] wrote in message

[...]

Dogs are sociable animals who look to humans as their pack leaders - if
they're not living in a pack of dogs. They're known to suffer from
separation anxiety and in fact, a recent tiny experiment has shown
that cats do, too, perhaps. Animal behaviourists will tell you that
dogs shouldn't be left on their own too long as it causes them a good
deal of stress. There are ways of ameliorating this and it's also wiser
to choose a breed that's less highly strung or physically demanding, if
you must have a dog you have to leave alone for long periods. The
point in this case, is that Christina's neighbours appear not to have
trained their dog, or chosen a breed that's laid-back about being left
alone and for her, that's what matters.

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 12-02-2014, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:47:54 Sacha wrote:

Animal behaviourists will tell you that dogs shouldn't be left on their
own too long as it causes them a good deal of stress. There are ways of
ameliorating this and it's also wiser to choose a breed that's less
highly strung or physically demanding, if you must have a dog you have
to leave alone for long periods.

An ex- colleague of mine, a teacher, inherited a dog when her mother
died (the colleague's mother, not the dog's!). It couldn't be left alone
in the house as it pined. She took to bringing it to school and leaving
it in the car. It still pined. Then she left it in the car with a
transistor radio playing music. It was fine! Don't worry, the car was
left with windows open, in the shade, and there was a bowl of water. And
she would go down to it every couple of hours and take it for a short
walk.

What interested me was that the dog was happy listening to (classical)
music, which is presumably what my ex-colleague listened to at home.

David

My New allotment ( and neighbours) Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 3 19-12-2006 10:23 PM
Camellia and neighbours extension SarahH United Kingdom 16 25-11-2003 10:22 PM
My neighbours big plum tree. dommy United Kingdom 4 03-05-2003 11:56 PM
Neighbours Mike United Kingdom 29 15-04-2003 10:57 PM
Neighbours Help Ophelia United Kingdom 55 11-04-2003 10:32 AM