Old 29-07-2015, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Walking about with Hard Wearing Soles

Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have
seen these:

Brasher Country Traveller GTX Men's Walking shoe

A picture of them is in this site:

http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/p/1...FYbItAodXE4CEA

It says the sole is Countrymaster rubber sole.

I'm mainly stomping pavements, would this likely to be a hard wearing
sole would anyone know? I'm tired of soles that seem to wear out by
themselves just by putting the shoes on.

Thanks
Old 29-07-2015, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"john west" wrote in message ...

Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have
seen these:

Brasher Country Traveller GTX Men's Walking shoe

A picture of them is in this site:

http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/p/1...FYbItAodXE4CEA

It says the sole is Countrymaster rubber sole.

I'm mainly stomping pavements, would this likely to be a hard wearing sole
would anyone know? I'm tired of soles that seem to wear out by themselves
just by putting the shoes on.

They are a well known brand in the walking boot/shoe business so should be
fine for your requirements provided they are comfortable with the right
socks on. I use two pairs of socks, a thin liner pair and then the chunky
walking socks.

My own preference for walking boots are Zamberlan leather boots which have
Vibram soles which grip and are hard wearing. However I do try to avoid
pavements and tend to be found offroad.

The only way to buy walking boots is to go to a shop and try them on, a
proper shop will have a slope so you can feel if your foot slips inside the
boot. You may find, like me, that you need a bigger size than you normally
do.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-07-2015, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 16:05:34 +0100, john west wrote:

Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have

Must say I've never found longer lasting soles than those from paraboot.
Expensive and can take a looong time to wear in, but then there is no
more comfortable shoe that I know. How about these:

http://theshoebuff.com/news/paraboot...ineering-boot/

Note I don't own them, but still have my first paraboots from maybe 25
years ago, and wore them yesterday. The shoe store I got them from just
went out of business sadly, which enabled me to buy a new pair for around
70% off; my son then coveted them so I gave them to him, warning of the
hard months to come breaking them in but figuring he'd keep them longer
than I will, since I'll likely die before they will! He promptly wore
them everywhere for a week and claimed they're super comfortable
immediately! Probably said it just to spite me...

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 29-07-2015, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:
Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have
seen these:

Brasher Country Traveller GTX Men's Walking shoe

A picture of them is in this site:

http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/p/1...FYbItAodXE4CEA

It says the sole is Countrymaster rubber sole.

I'm mainly stomping pavements, would this likely to be a hard wearing
sole would anyone know? I'm tired of soles that seem to wear out by
themselves just by putting the shoes on.

Thanks

I had pair after pair of these when I was working, as they looked decent
but were great for walking on roofs etc. I still wear a pair every day
and I have kept two old pairs for garage work etc. They are comfy once
broken in and the soles last OK, but there are two drawbacks. They let
water in after a few years no matter how careful you are with them, and
the supplied laces are abysmal. You'll need to replace the laces with
proper ones. You'll think I'm wrong when you get the boots but after a
month the laces will be shagged.

When I need new boots I'll get a pair of these despite the drawbacks.

Bill
Old 30-07-2015, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2015 16:05, john west wrote:
Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have
seen these:

Brasher Country Traveller GTX Men's Walking shoe

A picture of them is in this site:

http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/p/1...FYbItAodXE4CEA

It says the sole is Countrymaster rubber sole.

I'm mainly stomping pavements, would this likely to be a hard wearing
sole would anyone know? I'm tired of soles that seem to wear out by
themselves just by putting the shoes on.

Thanks

I've found that the Brasher boots are not very long lasting: they good
lightweight boots, and if you accept them for that, they're fine.
Barsher are not made in the UK any more (despite the name).
Road/pavement walking does not do hiking boots any favours, so trail
shoes would probably fare better. +1 to the other poster suggesting
going to a half-decent walking shop where they'll fit you up correctly
(hopefully), and +1 to Zamberlan & Vibram soles.

Old 30-07-2015, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2015 16:05, john west wrote:
Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have
seen these:

Brasher Country Traveller GTX Men's Walking shoe

A picture of them is in this site:

http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/p/1...FYbItAodXE4CEA

It says the sole is Countrymaster rubber sole.

I'm mainly stomping pavements, would this likely to be a hard wearing
sole would anyone know? I'm tired of soles that seem to wear out by
themselves just by putting the shoes on.

Thanks

The "Hoggs" shoes and boots from Countrywide Farmers are pretty good,
and less than half the price. In fact I've used Countrywide shoes almost
exclusively for work for about 15 years.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"john west" wrote in message ...

Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have
seen these:

Brasher Country Traveller GTX Men's Walking shoe

A picture of them is in this site:

http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/p/1...FYbItAodXE4CEA

It says the sole is Countrymaster rubber sole.

I'm mainly stomping pavements, would this likely to be a hard wearing sole
would anyone know? I'm tired of soles that seem to wear out by
themselves just by putting the shoes on.

They are a well known brand in the walking boot/shoe business so should be
fine for your requirements provided they are comfortable with the right
socks on. I use two pairs of socks, a thin liner pair and then the chunky
walking socks.

Why the thin inner pair, what advantage is there with those ?

I just wear chunky wool nylon mix all the time, not just for walking.

My own preference for walking boots are Zamberlan leather boots which have
Vibram soles which grip and are hard wearing.

I prefer elastic sided boots myself and whatever is comfortable.

However I do try to avoid pavements and tend to be found offroad.

Yeah, me too. I find walking around the streets too boring myself.

The only way to buy walking boots is to go to a shop and try them on, a
proper shop will have a slope so you can feel if your foot slips inside
the boot. You may find, like me, that you need a bigger size than you
normally do.

I don’t because I wear what I walk in all the time in winter. Wear bare feet
and thongs, what you lot call flip flops in the spring summer and winter
but do wear the boots when out walking for exercise in those seasons.
Don’t walk for exercise much in winter, too cold to be pleasant IMO.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Why the thin inner pair, what advantage is there with those ?

To keep friction off the skin. I used to do so, too.

vG
Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Volker Gringmuth" wrote

Rod Speed wrote:

Why the thin inner pair, what advantage is there with those ?

To keep friction off the skin. I used to do so, too.

Yes that is correct and if you buy the proper liner socks then they help to
wick any sweat up and out of the boot. At least that is the theory.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Volker Gringmuth wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Why the thin inner pair, what advantage is there with those ?

To keep friction off the skin.

Surely it's still friction on the skin.

I used to do so, too.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Volker Gringmuth" wrote

Rod Speed wrote:

Why the thin inner pair, what advantage is there with those ?

To keep friction off the skin. I used to do so, too.

Yes that is correct

Still can't understand that, why don't you get friction from them ?

and if you buy the proper liner socks then they help to wick any sweat up
and out of the boot. At least that is the theory.

My feet don't sweat all that much, tho the wooly/nylon mix
heavy socks I wear do get noticeably different after a decent
walk in the hottest summer which can be 10 days over 40C
here. Tho I normally walk as soon as its light enough not
not trip over stuff in summer and try to do it when the
air temp doesn't get over about 25C if I can.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote

Still can't understand that, why don't you get friction from them ?

Not something I understand either, being a single sock man. My gnarly feet
get few blisters these days yet double socked youngsters doing their D of E
have some evil looking ones. I suppose it must reduce friction as the outer
sock will rub on the inner and the inner will rub on the foot less, but it
doesn't stop it.

Graham

Old 01-08-2015, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Graham Seed wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Still can't understand that, why don't you get friction from them ?

Not something I understand either, being a single sock man.
My gnarly feet get few blisters these days

Yeah, I only get them when breaking in a new pair of boots
and have been stupid enough to carry on regardless when
I should have broken them in more gradually.

yet double socked youngsters doing their
D of E have some evil looking ones.

Presumably because they don't break their boots in properly.

I don't know of anyone who gets blisters with properly broken
in boots tho I spose if you really abuse your feet by slogging
along all day with improperly handled boots that have got
completely sodden could easily do that.

I suppose it must reduce friction as the outer sock will
rub on the inner and the inner will rub on the foot less,

I'm not convinced that there is any friction with properly
fitting boots or shoes because the foot doesn't slide
around inside properly fitting boots or shoes.

but it doesn't stop it.

I've yet to be convince that it makes any difference to friction.

Sweat wicking, sure that is plausible and some do sweat a hell
of a lot more than I do, some drip with sweat and I don't sweat
much unless its very humid and stinking hot at the same time.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 08:30:47 +0200, Volker Gringmuth wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:

Why the thin inner pair, what advantage is there with those ?

To keep friction off the skin. I used to do so, too.

I used to use cut down pairs of old nylons. Have never had a blister.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Why the thin inner pair, what advantage is there with those ?

To keep friction off the skin. I used to do so, too.

I used to use cut down pairs of old nylons. Have never had a blister.

I don’t use anything and have never had a blister except
when I haven't broken the new boots in properly.