Old 23-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Hämisch Macbeth

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

we all die as well

This seems to be a common theme in your posts, perhaps your wife should
hide the sharp knives ?

Old 23-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Tim Tyler

In uk.rec.gardening Tim Tyler wrote:
: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: : Tim Tyler writes
: :In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:

: :: You're stressing (which really does kill) over something that doesn't.
: :
: :Uh - plenty of people have been killed by pesticides.

: : No consumers.

: Of course consumers. Pesticides have caused cancers in consumers and
: those cancers have killed people.

Here are some of the injured:
http://www.getipm.com/our-loved-ones/injured.htm

....and here are some of the dead:
http://www.getipm.com/our-loved-ones/memorium.htm

The list includes consumers, children and babies.

E.g.:

"26 children die after ingesting cereal laced with insecticide"

- http://www.getipm.com/articles/peru.htm
--
__________
Old 24-05-2003, 12:00 AM
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 23 May 2003 17:54:28 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

In uk.rec.gardening Peter Duncanson wrote:

: When washing plates, cutlery, saucepans and the like, we use water plus some
: form of detergent to ensure thorough cleaning. Why are we less thorough
: when cleaning the things we are about to eat?

The royal "we" - I presume?

No - the general public "we".

There are "produce wash" products for sale - but they have not been found
to be more effective than water:

Perhaps more scientific research is needed. ;-)

--
Peter Duncanson
UK
Old 24-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Mike Humberston

Tim Tyler wrote:

The Friends of the Earth have a report that deals with some of
the fungicides used on strawberries in the UK in 2001:

http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/briefi...isrupting.html

It is of little value though because it contains no quantitative information,
either about the amounts detected on strawberries or about the amounts required
to cause toxic effects.

--
Mike Humberston
Barnes, London

WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not oblivion.
Old 24-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Oz

Robert Seago writes
Halogenated hydrocarbons covers a lot more than just DDT.

All the persistent ones are banned for crops in any reasonable country.
Some may still be used for termite control, but few people eat wood.

But the problem with POP's was that the invertebrates getting some dosage
from the wood etc. were eaten by animals higher up the food chain.

I really don't think that's a major problem and although there may be
quite a bit of wood treated it will be peanuts compared to the millions
of acres of cotton sprayed until the 70's in the west, and late 90's in
russia. On top of that the wood in houses doesn't typically re-enter the
biosphere for very many decades.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 24-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes

Of course consumers. Pesticides have caused cancers in consumers and
those cancers have killed people.

Proof.

I have never seen any outside crude unverifiable estimates made in DDT
days. Usually based on ames tests, which show most food plants to be
naturally even more carcinogenic.

Old 24-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes

I was comparing with "raw peppers" - as requested:

``so do a taste bud test and tell us which are safest, raw red kidney
beans or raw peppers''

No species was specified. Why are you asking me about jalapenos?

We were talking about chillies.

People regularly eat raw peppers.

Indeed, and raw chillies.
Raw chillies definitely taste bad to the uninitiated,
kidney beans do not.

I don't know of anyone who
regularly eats raw red kidney beans.

You wouldn't, they are very toxic.

This has been explained to you.

Old 24-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes
By contrast - for many pesticides - the compensation accrues to the
those in the supply chain - who can generate more produce - and the
health cost is borne by consumers.

1) There is no direct health cost, due to the approvals testing.

2) There is most definitely a health cost for consuming produce
contaminated by fungi. Aflatoxins and vomitotoxins for example.

Old 24-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes
In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:
: Tim Tyler wrote:
:In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:

:: If strawberries are supposed to be covered in fungicide then why
:: is it that if I keep strawberries in my fridge for more than a few days
:: they rapidly become covered in white fuzz?
:
:Fungicides are not effective indefinitely.

: Because they don't remain on the fruit?

Because naturally there are limits to the volume of fungus any
fungicide can prevent.

You really haven't a clue, have you?

:Eventually the forces of decay win out.

: Because the fungicides are no longer present in sufficient quantities
: for them to be effective?

Because chemical transformations change them from fungicides into
spent waste matter in the process of fungal attack.

No. The fungicide is biodegradeable so levels start falling as soon as
tit hits the plant. Eventually there is too little left to control the
fungus. sigh

:Fungicides merely delay the process - but if the food is sold in
:the interim they have served their purpose.

: And the fruit is safe for the consumer to eat?

That will depent on the fruit in question - and on your desired level
of safely.

sigh

Old 24-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: This Tim is a real cookie!

: A marvellous example of the failure of education to show show some
: people how to think.

I have at least one virtue - I try to criticise the arguments of
those I disagree with - rather launching personal attacks on the
individuals making them.

Exasperation sets in when you show excessive inability to comprehend.

Old 24-05-2003, 01:12 AM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes

"26 children die after ingesting cereal laced with insecticide"

- http://www.getipm.com/articles/peru.htm

Yup, misuse.

In a country famed for it's regulation and high standard of education.

And how many killed every year in the US by the automobile?

Old 24-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Mike Humberston

Tim Tyler wrote:

In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:
: Tim Tyler wrote:

re Fungicides on strawberries

:Fungicides are not effective indefinitely.

: Because they don't remain on the fruit?

Because naturally there are limits to the volume of fungus any
fungicide can prevent.

Either the fungicide will be present in sufficient quantities to prevent growth
of fungus or it won't, in which case the fungus will be able to grow.

:Eventually the forces of decay win out.

: Because the fungicides are no longer present in sufficient quantities
: for them to be effective?

Because chemical transformations change them from fungicides into
spent waste matter in the process of fungal attack.

You mean the fungus metabolises the fungicide? If it is converted into
metabolic products the it ceases to exist.

:Fungicides merely delay the process - but if the food is sold in
:the interim they have served their purpose.

: And the fruit is safe for the consumer to eat?

That will depent on the fruit in question

Why do you think that? Here we are talking about strawberries.

- and on your desired level
of safely.

I'm not sure what you mean by "desired level of safety". What you desire has
nothing to do with whether something is toxic or not.

Old 24-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Tim Tyler

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

:I was comparing with "raw peppers" - as requested:
:
:``so do a taste bud test and tell us which are safest, raw red kidney
: beans or raw peppers''
:
:No species was specified. Why are you asking me about jalapenos?

: We were talking about chillies.

What?

I was talking about raw peppers - i.e. capsicum - as
apparently was the poster I replied to, since he
specifically used the term "raw peppers" above.

If you /mean/ chillies, /say/ chillies.

:People regularly eat raw peppers.

: Indeed, and raw chillies.
: Raw chillies definitely taste bad to the uninitiated,
: kidney beans do not.

No? You have tried eating raw red kidney beans?

Most large raw beans are pretty unpalatable. That is the main
reason why it is thought that our ancestors didn't consume them -
and is likey to be a consequence of their toxicity.

They may not taste quite as bad as raw chilles - but so what?
I never claimed non-toxic food necessarily tasted good.

Nor are chilles /that/ non-toxic. Chillies taste the way they do as a
defense against being eaten by mammals - and similar creatures. The
threats of their taste is not an empty one - consuming chillies causes
a range of unpleasant symptoms in the digestive track - and as a stress
response.

Indeed, capsaicin is classified is an "irritant poison" - and has been
responsible for human deaths.
--
__________
Old 24-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Michelle Fulton

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
``so do a taste bud test and tell us which are safest, raw red kidney
beans or raw peppers''

People regularly eat raw peppers. I don't know of anyone who
regularly eats raw red kidney beans.

If you ever ate a raw jalepeno, you would definitely be on the side of the
raw beans!

Old 24-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Jim Webster

"Hämisch Macbeth" wrote in message

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

we all die as well

This seems to be a common theme in your posts, perhaps your wife should
hide the sharp knives ?

you must remember in farming, arable or livestock, birth and death are
integral parts of the process and you just get used to them

Jim Webster