Old 07-07-2003, 10:14 PM
pied piper

Default Mushrooms & my new lawn...

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:51:29 +0100, "Justin Clark"
wrote:

My one year old sees them as another 'toy' to feed upon... but if the
mushrooms aren't poisonous then I guess she can eat to her heart's
content...!

I'd scotch that habit pretty quick if I were you!

they could be magic mushrooms in which case u dont want her eating them even
edible mushrooms could upset her tummy fungicide is the only way to
erradicate the problem or alternatively a high nitrogen fertiliser and
regular cutting will solve it.
also there are many safe fungicides on the matket that will do no ecological
harm whatsoever best to use a systemic fungicide

Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Sarah Dale

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:50:12 +0100, Justin Clark wrote:
Well having put my heart & soul into levelling and returfing the garden,
it's now covered in mushrooms!!!!

Mow the lawn and keep mowing it reguarly, will get rid of the visible part
of the mushroom quickly and easily, and get it again repeatedly as it
re-grows. The mushrooms should eventually give up and go away...

Sarah

Old 12-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Rick McGreal

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

As a father of three children, may I recommend to you the 'shock and
awe' method of teaching children the dangers of picking and eating
unidentified things?
The shock part comes as a very loud and definitely shouted 'NO'.
It tends to make kids burst into tears, but it's a loss less painful
than watching them suffer poisoning... or worse.

Well done that man!

I had to so the exact same thing with my cacti a while ago....

Some were soft and fluffy to touch but some are very sharp and can leave a
small child with real nasty sores....

The shock and awe method works.....B-)

Good to see others not afraid to raise their voices when occasion
demands....
Old 30-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Welsh Witch

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:14:01 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , Justin Clark
wrote:
My one year old sees them as another 'toy' to feed upon... but if the
mushrooms aren't poisonous then I guess she can eat to her heart's
content...!

Teach her "NO", firmly. Only an expert can tell the harmless fungi from
the lethal ones (which are rarish). It is counter-productive removing the
temptation, as that increases the risk if you ever leave your garden.
Exactly as with water.

And, yes, you CAN teach one year olds. No problem. Just politically
incorrect. Use the methods of Professor Pavlov.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

*******************************
A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing to
bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally growing on
their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be backing off
that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and amanita muscaria our
there!
*************************

Old 30-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Mike Lyle

Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]
A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing

bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally

growing
on their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be
backing off that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and
amanita muscaria our there!
*************************

I have terrible trouble with the bent bananas growing on my lawn:
every time I hear a helicopter I have to rush out and pick them all
in case it's the police.

--
Mike.

Old 30-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I have terrible trouble with the bent bananas growing on my lawn:
every time I hear a helicopter I have to rush out and pick them all
in case it's the police.

Now you're being investigated for inciting social prejudice towards
bananas :-(

Janet.
Old 30-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]
A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing

bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally

growing
on their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be
backing off that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and
amanita muscaria our there!
*************************

I have terrible trouble with the bent bananas growing on my lawn:
every time I hear a helicopter I have to rush out and pick them all
in case it's the police.

Don't worry about the helicopters, THERE ARE NO BLACK HELICOPTERS!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 30-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:
Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]
A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is

proposing
bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally

growing
on their lawn, [...]

I have terrible trouble with the bent bananas growing on my lawn:
every time I hear a helicopter I have to rush out and pick them

all
in case it's the police.

Don't worry about the helicopters, THERE ARE NO BLACK HELICOPTERS!

Oh, no! I'd have expected you to be the last person to fall for those
brainwashing transmissions they send out! You should have followed my
example and lined your hat with kitchen foil: that keeps 'em out a
treat.

--
Mike.

Old 30-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Don't worry about the helicopters, THERE ARE NO BLACK HELICOPTERS!

Oh, no! I'd have expected you to be the last person to fall for those
brainwashing transmissions they send out! You should have followed my
example and lined your hat with kitchen foil: that keeps 'em out a
treat.

I wear an allyhat while at the computer. Blow kitchen foil, fold it and
you have holes in it in no time, and everyone knows that if there's even
the smallest hole, the helicopters will find it.

Old 30-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

Don't worry about the helicopters, THERE ARE NO BLACK

HELICOPTERS!

Oh, no! I'd have expected you to be the last person to fall for

those
brainwashing transmissions they send out! You should have followed

my
example and lined your hat with kitchen foil: that keeps 'em out a
treat.

I wear an allyhat while at the computer. Blow kitchen foil, fold it
and you have holes in it in no time, and everyone knows that if
there's even the smallest hole, the helicopters will find it.

Are you sure about that? I use two layers of Tesco's Finest -- a bit
more expensive, but I thought it was well worth it. You've got me
seriously worried now. But I do wear rubber-soled shoes, so maybe the
transmissions won't get a good circuit.

--
Mike.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

Don't worry about the helicopters, THERE ARE NO BLACK

HELICOPTERS!

Oh, no! I'd have expected you to be the last person to fall for

those
brainwashing transmissions they send out! You should have followed

my
example and lined your hat with kitchen foil: that keeps 'em out a
treat.

I wear an allyhat while at the computer. Blow kitchen foil, fold it
and you have holes in it in no time, and everyone knows that if
there's even the smallest hole, the helicopters will find it.

Are you sure about that? I use two layers of Tesco's Finest -- a bit
more expensive, but I thought it was well worth it. You've got me
seriously worried now. But I do wear rubber-soled shoes, so maybe the
transmissions won't get a good circuit.

I think mine's probably Tesco's too: I use an aluminiumiumiumiumium po
from the 'fifties: Snug fit, and drooping rays slide off and are
deflected away from the body by the lip.

The handle is useful for hanging your keys from, as every time you move
your head they remind you where you left them.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Totty

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I think mine's probably Tesco's too: I use an aluminiumiumiumiumium po
from the 'fifties: Snug fit, and drooping rays slide off and are
deflected away from the body by the lip.

The handle is useful for hanging your keys from, as every time you move
your head they remind you where you left them.

A sort of Alcan Alcan Alcan Alcan Alcan tinkle my po?

--
Jo