Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Mich

Default new thread alan titchmarsh subject

"BridgeP" wrote in message
In article ,
(Mike Lyle) writes:

Most 'gardening' progs are actually 'design' progs.

Very true.

IMO the only real gardening prog is GW, and even that
can stray from the straight and narrow at times.

Like on Friday - watching Rachael De Thame going around gardens and picking
up ideas was like watching paint dry.

I fell asleep less than half way through. When I woke up and realised how
boring it was I turned it off and went to bed.

Peter Bridge

AT and all the others should take solace in the saying that goes

something
like
'disgree, criticise, etc but what you do, don't ignore me!'. Or

perhaps
'all
publicity is good publicity'.

Well, yes. And I doubt very much if AT gives a flying one. But in this
thread I haven't noticed many messages which didn't give reasons for
what the posters thought. And in fairness, the discussion has *not*
been irrelevant to gardening: are we content to have the public
informed about gardening by people whose prime qualification may not
be their gardening experience?

Sorry, but where does that come from. I don't know in detail what the
qualifications of the curent crop of presenteres but I think they have

rather
more than most of us. This thread started of about AT. He is very

experienced
I think.

Do we want programmes that tell us
something we didn't know already? I think that's perfectly relevant.

The national media, they will always be telling somebodies granny how to

suck
eggs. You only need to read any gardening magazine. Every year there are

the
same topics, often for the beginner of which there will hopefully be many.

You also seem a bit unfair in suggesting that most urg discussions
aren't about gardening: I reckon people here stick to the point pretty
well.

I didn't suggest that, only that the the OT topics are often the most

popular.

Mike.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Janice

"Mich" wrote in message
Most 'gardening' progs are actually 'design' progs.

IMO the only real gardening prog is GW,

I used to enjoy a programme that was on at about 8 am every morning a few
months ago (can't remember its name, don't know who the presenter was).
Each episode dedicated itself to one particular species of plant and went in
depth into the care of each plant within the species. It really was
excellent.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:24 AM
Culturalenigma

"BridgeP" wrote in message
In article , "Culturalenigma"

Subject: new thread alan titchmarsh subject
From: "Culturalenigma"
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 00:13:21 -0400

snip

I am mainly a lurker on this NG. However, I have noticed that there

are
always
more posting about topics with only a vague relationship with

gardening.
Many
of these posts are to complain that there is not enough gardening!!

This
topic
started of by an innocent post from somebody who was starting an AT fan

club,
an look at the furore it has generated. Don't ell me about those

wonderful,
caring, understanding gardening folk.

AT and all the others should take solace in the saying that goes

something
like
'disgree, criticise, etc but what you do, don't ignore me!'. Or

perhaps
'all
publicity is good publicity'.

Peter Bridge

Well, it's good to have you Peter. I"m that someone that started a fan
club. I have gotten slammed quite heavily by some posters here, but I

have
also received very warm welcomes from A LOT of others. My opinions may

not
be mainstream, but that's ok. I don't mind if everyone else is

mis-informed
;o) LOL, just kidding!!!

Thanks a bunch -
Trai

Hi Trai

I wish you every success. I am not particularly an AT fan but I support

fully
those who are, and equally those who are not. Provided nobody tries to

force
their opinions on me I don't really care. My local public house (to

reopen
soon) is called the Live and Let Live. A good motto I think.

Peter Bridge

Yes it is, Peter, yes it is. May I ask why you a question? What is it that
people don't like about him? Alan, that is?

Just curious,

trai

Old 09-09-2003, 02:40 AM
anne

Culturalenigma wrote in message

"BridgeP" wrote in message
In article , "Culturalenigma"

From: "Culturalenigma"
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 00:13:21 -0400

snip

[...]

I find him "slimey"... I always feel as if he's hiding something (a dark
secret or hobby perhaps)... he's short and fat... I don't like his voice
(and I don't mean accent)... He's probably a great and genuine guy but he
does nothing for me.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Mich

"anne" wrote in message

Culturalenigma wrote in message

"BridgeP" wrote in message
In article , "Culturalenigma"
writes:

I find him "slimey"... I always feel as if he's hiding something (a dark
secret or hobby perhaps)... he's short and fat... I don't like his voice
(and I don't mean accent)... He's probably a great and genuine guy but he
does nothing for me.

Funny, I find him exactly the opposite.

Interesting how TV alters perceptions isnt it?

Most TV presenters are short. Actors are very little people generally.
Ant and Dec for example are very short ( less than normal average - but
average for TV - about 5ft 5ins).

Titchmarsh, whilst not breaking any height records is normal average
height - and with height of course goes *fat*.

TV can make a person look upwards of a stone heavier than they really are.

I think you will find most of the other presenters discussed here are quite
short too and if they do not look fat then they are anorexically thin.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:03 AM
JennyC

"Culturalenigma" wrote

Yes it is, Peter, yes it is. May I ask why you a question? What is

it that
people don't like about him? Alan, that is?
Just curious,
trai

Speaking personally, I find he has a terminal 'niceness' that sets my
teeth on edge.
He looks as if he could live in a Telletubby sort of world were
nothing bad ever happens.
Why this should irritate me so much is probably my problem but there
you are :~))
Jenny

Old 16-09-2003, 09:19 AM
BridgeP

From: "Culturalenigma"
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:17:50 -0400

"BridgeP" wrote in message
In article , "Culturalenigma"

From: "Culturalenigma"
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 00:13:21 -0400

their opinions on me I don't really care. My local public house (to

reopen
soon) is called the Live and Let Live. A good motto I think.

Peter Bridge

Yes it is, Peter, yes it is. May I ask why you a question? What is it that
people don't like about him? Alan, that is?

Just curious,

trai

I don't know. He has been on TV for years and a a general presenter. Many
might say it was his accent. There is definitely a N-S divide in the UK
whatever people may think. One problem may be that he took over at very short
notice from the late Geoff Hamilton who the majority would consider to be THE
garden presenter.

Like and dislikeis a very personal thing.

One thing. Like him or not, he is a very knowledgeable gardener. Whether his
books, etc are of the same standard I wouldn't know.

Peter

Old 16-09-2003, 09:19 AM
BridgeP

Hi Sacha

No I don't. In fact we have 2 pubs with the same name withion a coup[le of
miles of each other. Rather confusing for the travellor.

Peter Bridge

From: Sacha
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:58:31 +0100

in article , BridgeP at
wrote on 8/9/03 3:11 pm:

snip

I wish you every success. I am not particularly an AT fan but I support

fully
those who are, and equally those who are not. Provided nobody tries to

force
their opinions on me I don't really care. My local public house (to reopen
soon) is called the Live and Let Live. A good motto I think.

Peter Bridge

That's what ours is called! You don't live in Landscove, do you? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

------------------- Headers --------------------

!news.tele.dk!news.tele.dk!small.news.tele.dk!news feed.icl.net!newsfeed.fj
serv.net!diablo.theplanet.net!news.theplanet.net!n ot-for-mail
From: Sacha
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:58:31 +0100

Old 16-09-2003, 09:25 AM