Old 16-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Pots in the North

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I used to enjoy a nice black pudding - always get the ones with the
extra-large gristly bits, they fry up better - before I gave up eating

meat.

There's no meat in black pudding!

I agree about the large pieces of FAT - there shouldn't be any gristle in
black pudding.

Seconded. And in the stuff I'm used to from the Utter Hebrides the fat
is chopped suet.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 16-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

My daughter is training to be a physioterrorist I'll pass this tip on.

Where's she training? My mother trained at The London.

Old 16-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Since 99% of kippers, smoked haddock etc. ... are made the same way in
UK they probably thought that that was what was expected.

I think that's an overestimate. A lot of kippers, mackerel etc are still
smoked in traditional kilns, (I used to be MD of a fish-processing
company) and more are smoked in Torry Kilns, where the smoke is
circulated rather than passing the fish just once, on its way out of the
chimney.

Just avoid the ones which look as if they've been decorated with
ox-blood bootpolish.

It must be fairly simple to smoke your own garlic.

An old oil drum, some oak chips a bit of old sacking and bobs your
uncle.

Um, no. You need a much higher chimney or you'll overcook them. Do you
know if they are hot-smoked, or cold-smoked?

I'd guess at cold-smoked.

There's sometimes a French market in Ramsbottom too, but I've never seen

the
smoked garlic there. So I have to make do with half a ton of real French
cheese and red wine . . . life is hard up North!

No it isn't, we have extremely fine local (even if you extend that to
British) cheeses which are at least as good as any imported ones - and by
buying them we support local producers.

We export large quantities of UK cheese each time we visit England.
It's much better than most of the local muck

We can agree on that. I understand that the Dutch men-o'war used cheeses
as cannonballs to very good effect......

Old 16-12-2003, 09:03 AM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:16:23 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Since 99% of kippers, smoked haddock etc. ... are made the same way in
UK they probably thought that that was what was expected.

I think that's an overestimate. A lot of kippers, mackerel etc are still
smoked in traditional kilns, (I used to be MD of a fish-processing
company) and more are smoked in Torry Kilns, where the smoke is
circulated rather than passing the fish just once, on its way out of the
chimney.

There are a few smokeries left in UK, but not enough to provide the
quantities of "smoked" fish sold by UK supermarkets.
Rick Stein commented on the situation in one of his programs.
In NL I have never come across dyed fish. There are smokeries
everywhere.

If you go to any big supermarket and ask which of the smoked fish on
sale is genuinely smoked and not just dyed, first they say it all is
and then if you argue they get the manager of the department and he
admits it is around zero.

Just avoid the ones which look as if they've been decorated with
ox-blood bootpolish.

It must be fairly simple to smoke your own garlic.

An old oil drum, some oak chips a bit of old sacking and bobs your
uncle.

Um, no. You need a much higher chimney or you'll overcook them. Do you
know if they are hot-smoked, or cold-smoked?

I didn't know smoked garlic existed until recently.
They smoke fish in the Zuiderzee museum with the kit I listed. I
smoked some myself with a Webber smoker that I got in a sale.
They sell home smokers in angling shops in NL.

I'd guess at cold-smoked.

There's sometimes a French market in Ramsbottom too, but I've never seen
the
smoked garlic there. So I have to make do with half a ton of real French
cheese and red wine . . . life is hard up North!

No it isn't, we have extremely fine local (even if you extend that to
British) cheeses which are at least as good as any imported ones - and by
buying them we support local producers.

We export large quantities of UK cheese each time we visit England.
It's much better than most of the local muck

I should say that Dutch stuff bought from a farm is very nice.

We can agree on that. I understand that the Dutch men-o'war used cheeses
as cannonballs to very good effect......

nagelkaas? :-)
--
Martin

Old 16-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Andy Hunt

Apologies for the "humour" - it's a family curse.

At least I'm environmentally friendly - I recycle all my jokes!

Andrew

..

Hamster jam is good for tulips, I've heard.

Tulips on your organ joke next?

--
Martin

Old 16-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Andy Hunt

There's sometimes a French market in Ramsbottom too, but I've never seen

the
smoked garlic there. So I have to make do with half a ton of real French
cheese and red wine . . . life is hard up North!

No it isn't, we have extremely fine local (even if you extend that to
British) cheeses which are at least as good as any imported ones - and by
buying them we support local producers.

I was only joking! There's a monthly local farmers' market, too, which is
also excellent. Ramsbottom is a real centre of good food and, well,
reasonable beer at any rate. It's a nice ritual for a Sunday - steam train
ride to the farmers' market, a nice couple of hours shopping, then back on
the steam train to the real ale pub on the railway platform at Bury. Then
back home for cooking and a nice bottle of plonk!

Andrew

Old 16-12-2003, 10:33 AM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:54:06 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

Apologies for the "humour" - it's a family curse.

At least I'm environmentally friendly - I recycle all my jokes!

I don't know why I posted organ. I meant piano.
--
Martin
Old 16-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

there's a fantastic European
market outside Manchester town hall at the minute, they have huge

strings
of
smoked garlic - you should smell the stuff, it's olfactory ecstasy!

We have one in Leeds too. But be careful of 'smoked garlic'. I bought

some,
very enthusiastically, and was very disappointed to find that it was a
string of garlic which had been sprayed with liquid smoke. The smoke

flavour
doesn't penetrate the bulbs at all, even if you don't mind artificial wool
being pulled over your eyes you'll be missing the full effect of real

smoked
garlic :-(

Smoked garlic and gilded lilies are in the same class.
Neat garlick is next to godliness. It does not need smoking.

Take half a pound of garlick and boil it like any other vegetable (lightly
salted), but don't overdo it.
Heaven on earth.

I had a notice which I used to hang outside my office door as a warning to
students who wished to see me in the afternoon, which said
"Maintain your distance. I had much garlick for lunch".

Franz

Old 16-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

They were never too impressed with the cooking, I seem to
remember!

Well, Vietnamese cooking wasn't fashionable in them days.

I think it was Korean. Well, it was a good "Korea" move for Alan Alda,

in
any case . . .

You know, I thought long and hard about this and knew that if I were wrong
I'd be picked up on it. I do know that it was the earlier of the two far
eastern US campaigns, just can't remember which order they came in.

That's what comes of being so young and not remembering.

They lost in Korea long before they lost in Vietnam.

Or old and the memory failing :-)

Franz

Old 16-12-2003, 01:35 PM
martin

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

They were never too impressed with the cooking, I seem to
remember!

Well, Vietnamese cooking wasn't fashionable in them days.

I think it was Korean. Well, it was a good "Korea" move for Alan Alda,

in
any case . . .

You know, I thought long and hard about this and knew that if I were wrong
I'd be picked up on it. I do know that it was the earlier of the two far
eastern US campaigns, just can't remember which order they came in.

That's what comes of being so young and not remembering.

They lost in Korea long before they lost in Vietnam.

Korea isn't finished.
--
Martin
Old 16-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Andy Hunt

They lost in Korea long before they lost in Vietnam.

Korea isn't finished.

True - there are still some people alive there.

Andrew

Old 16-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Since 99% of kippers, smoked haddock etc. ... are made the same way in
UK they probably thought that that was what was expected.

I think that's an overestimate. A lot of kippers, mackerel etc are still
smoked in traditional kilns, (I used to be MD of a fish-processing
company) and more are smoked in Torry Kilns, where the smoke is
circulated rather than passing the fish just once, on its way out of the
chimney.

There are a few smokeries left in UK, but not enough to provide the
quantities of "smoked" fish sold by UK supermarkets.
Rick Stein commented on the situation in one of his programs.
In NL I have never come across dyed fish. There are smokeries
everywhere.

All the places where I get fish either have both, or only properly
smoked stuff. Tesco's fish counter at Harford Bridge in Norwich has a
good range of properly smoked stuff, as do most of the fishmongers'
caravan mobile shops.

The situation really isn't as bad as it's painted.

If you go to any big supermarket and ask which of the smoked fish on
sale is genuinely smoked and not just dyed, first they say it all is
and then if you argue they get the manager of the department and he
admits it is around zero.

Well, all the supermarkets I use would tell you correctly which was
which - if you couldn't tell from the appearance.

Just avoid the ones which look as if they've been decorated with
ox-blood bootpolish.

It must be fairly simple to smoke your own garlic.

An old oil drum, some oak chips a bit of old sacking and bobs your
uncle.

Um, no. You need a much higher chimney or you'll overcook them. Do you
know if they are hot-smoked, or cold-smoked?

I didn't know smoked garlic existed until recently.
They smoke fish in the Zuiderzee museum with the kit I listed. I
smoked some myself with a Webber smoker that I got in a sale.
They sell home smokers in angling shops in NL.

Aye, and the results are (IMO) pretty ghastly. Too quick and too hot.
I've had 'smoked brown trout' from one of those and I reckon it degraded
the trout from something to die for into something to shun at all costs.

/snip/

I should say that Dutch stuff bought from a farm is very nice.

I've no doubt. i wouldn't be surprised to discover that most of the
Dutch cheese sold over here was of the same quality as most of the
so-called Cheddar available.

I used to make a goats' cheese when I had a smallholding. A blue,
full-cream pressed cheese matured for nine months. Phwoar!

We can agree on that. I understand that the Dutch men-o'war used cheeses
as cannonballs to very good effect......

nagelkaas? :-)

Yuk! Fingernail cheese?

Breedzidje?

Old 16-12-2003, 03:03 PM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:42:35 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

They lost in Korea long before they lost in Vietnam.

Korea isn't finished.

True - there are still some people alive there.

but no dogs or dog crap on the pavements
--
Martin