Old 16-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Pots in the North

"martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:09:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

They were never too impressed with the cooking, I seem to
remember!

Well, Vietnamese cooking wasn't fashionable in them days.

I think it was Korean. Well, it was a good "Korea" move for Alan

Alda,
in
any case . . .

You know, I thought long and hard about this and knew that if I were

wrong
I'd be picked up on it. I do know that it was the earlier of the two

far
eastern US campaigns, just can't remember which order they came in.

That's what comes of being so young and not remembering.

They lost in Korea long before they lost in Vietnam.

Korea isn't finished.

True.

Franz

Old 16-12-2003, 04:33 PM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:16:44 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Jaques d'Alltrades16/12/03 12:16
@po ttingshed.org

The message
from martin contains these words:

Since 99% of kippers, smoked haddock etc. ... are made the same way in
UK they probably thought that that was what was expected.

I think that's an overestimate. A lot of kippers, mackerel etc are still
smoked in traditional kilns, (I used to be MD of a fish-processing
company) and more are smoked in Torry Kilns, where the smoke is
circulated rather than passing the fish just once, on its way out of the
chimney.

snip

http://www.dartmouthsmokehouse.co.uk/
Not cheap but excellent.

In the Netherlands smoked fish is cheap. A large freshly smoked
mackerel costs around UKP2.
--
Martin
Old 16-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

. . . life is hard up North!

No it isn't, we have extremely fine local (even if you extend that to
British) cheeses which are at least as good as any imported ones - and

by
buying them we support local producers.

I was only joking! There's a monthly local farmers' market, too, which is
also excellent. Ramsbottom is a real centre of good food and, well,
reasonable beer at any rate. It's a nice ritual for a Sunday - steam train
ride to the farmers' market, a nice couple of hours shopping, then back on
the steam train to the real ale pub on the railway platform at Bury. Then
back home for cooking and a nice bottle of plonk!

Good. We have a very rich variety of wonderful food up here.

Mary

Andrew

Old 16-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Mary Fisher

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

Smoked garlic and gilded lilies are in the same class.
Neat garlick is next to godliness. It does not need smoking.

I agree, but the poster said he'd bought some.

Take half a pound of garlick and boil it like any other vegetable (lightly
salted), but don't overdo it.
Heaven on earth.

Or bake it in its skin (in the oven of course!)

Oh yum ...

Mary

Old 16-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I used to enjoy a nice black pudding - always get the ones with the
extra-large gristly bits, they fry up better - before I gave up eating

meat.

There's no meat in black pudding!

I agree about the large pieces of FAT - there shouldn't be any gristle

in
black pudding.

Seconded. And in the stuff I'm used to from the Utter Hebrides the fat
is chopped suet.

But that's not pig fat ... Oh I know you cn get hardish fat from round the
kidneys but it's not normally regarded as suet, too low a melting point.

Mary

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 16-12-2003, 09:04 PM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:38:53 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Seconded. And in the stuff I'm used to from the Utter Hebrides the fat
is chopped suet.

But that's not pig fat ... Oh I know you cn get hardish fat from round the
kidneys but it's not normally regarded as suet, too low a melting point.

The owner of Norwich City once said ...

"The solid, dense fat that encloses beef kidneys is true suet, and a
substance very hard to obtain in its whole form as butchers no longer
receive suet intact, with the kidneys in the middle. Suet is the
correct, traditional shortening for steamed puddings – sweet and
savoury – and also always used to be used to make mincemeat: remember
to make some adjustments if you are entertaining vegetarians."
--
Martin
Old 16-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

In the Netherlands smoked fish is cheap. A large freshly smoked
mackerel costs around UKP2.

I can usually get two for that price here.

depressing note

I can remember being able to go to any fishmonger and buy a score of
fresh herrings or mackerel for a shilling.

By the 'seventies, the price had risen ten times, to two for five pence.

/depressing note

However, I could go down to the harbour when they were salting or
pickling herring and fill as many bags as I could carry with any fish
which wasn't a herring.

I used to carry home and cook, salting the excess of:

Gurnards; mackerel; horse mackerel; lithe; saithe; ling; haddock;
dogfish; pipe fish; sea bream; black bream; mullet; oh, and loads of
others.

Often, while the fishermen were cleaning and repairing their nets on the
quay the ground would be covered with small octopussies, and these made
a change from the other fish.

If you only lightly cook them they aren't too chewy, but I used to cook
them and mince them and make octoburgers from them. When times were hard
and the sea was too rough to fish in and I couldn't get to the harbour
(30 miles by road, though only seven by boat) I'd do the same with
limpets, winkles, whelks etc., and catch edible crabs at low tide.

Moving only slightly back on-topic, I used to gather carrageen and dulse
off the rocks at low tide. These were useful if dried, and carrageen
especially, as when dried and ground and mixed with minced shellfish, it
bound the constituents of the winkleburgers together remarkably well.

Old 16-12-2003, 11:04 PM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:27:51 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

In the Netherlands smoked fish is cheap. A large freshly smoked
mackerel costs around UKP2.

I can usually get two for that price here.

A very small piece was UKP1.50 when we last looked in UK about a month
ago. I've never seen a freshly smoked mackerel on sale in UK.

depressing note

I can remember being able to go to any fishmonger and buy a score of
fresh herrings or mackerel for a shilling.

I can remember being able to chuck a mackerel line off the back of a
boat and being able to catch as many as I wanted.

By the 'seventies, the price had risen ten times, to two for five pence.

/depressing note

However, I could go down to the harbour when they were salting or
pickling herring and fill as many bags as I could carry with any fish
which wasn't a herring.

I used to carry home and cook, salting the excess of:

Gurnards; mackerel; horse mackerel; lithe; saithe; ling; haddock;
dogfish; pipe fish; sea bream; black bream; mullet; oh, and loads of
others.

Often, while the fishermen were cleaning and repairing their nets on the
quay the ground would be covered with small octopussies, and these made
a change from the other fish.

If you only lightly cook them they aren't too chewy,

You have to beat them on the rocks like the Greeks do and then BBQ
them.

--
Martin
Old 16-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Andy Hunt

Smoked garlic and gilded lilies are in the same class.
Neat garlick is next to godliness. It does not need smoking.

I agree, but the poster said he'd bought some.

It was the smell more than anything, before cooking. I didn't really notice
any difference in the taste, to be honest, although it was in with a lot of
other stuff.

Andrew

Old 17-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I used to enjoy a nice black pudding - always get the ones with the
extra-large gristly bits, they fry up better - before I gave up eating
meat.

There's no meat in black pudding!

I agree about the large pieces of FAT - there shouldn't be any gristle

in
black pudding.

Seconded. And in the stuff I'm used to from the Utter Hebrides the fat
is chopped suet.

But that's not pig fat ... Oh I know you cn get hardish fat from round the
kidneys but it's not normally regarded as suet, too low a melting point.

Well, I never made it, but I'd expect it to have been pork suet.

(I get lamb suet saved for me by my local butcher, for making white pudding.)

Old 17-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

The owner of Norwich City once said ...

Who that?

*ALL* the City?

Old 17-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

A very small piece was UKP1.50 when we last looked in UK about a month
ago. I've never seen a freshly smoked mackerel on sale in UK.

I've never seen any other recently. (Though I do know where to get
frozen properly-smoked stuff.)

I can remember being able to chuck a mackerel line off the back of a
boat and being able to catch as many as I wanted.

I can remember two of us filling a boat with mackerel (rod and trace of
seven hooks tied to chicken feathers) so that the gunwhales were about
four inches above the Loch's surface. Dead-calm, naturally!

(octopussies)

You have to beat them on the rocks like the Greeks do and then BBQ
them.

I really *HATE* BBQs.

Old 17-12-2003, 07:43 AM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:26:51 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

The owner of Norwich City once said ...

Who that?

*ALL* the City?

Delia Smith
--
Martin
Old 17-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

The owner of Norwich City once said ...

Who that?

*ALL* the City?

Delia Smith

Owner of Norwich City?

Why, she's a director of the footer club, but the City's ownership lies
in many hands.