Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
martin

Default Pots in the North

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:08:31 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "hort-4" contains these words:

slugs and snails

turtles/tortoises eat them (snip) our climate resembles Greece's.

That's irrelevant to UK gardening in general and the OP in particular.

Even the conditions in the south of England can't be compared with those in
Bury or the north in general, I live in Leeds and couldn't be guided by
anyone south of the Bristol Channel.

Also, some people do have tortoises and turtles as pets even up here. I
didn't know they consumed slugs and/or snails so I was interested to read
that.

Our tortoise consumes flowers and fruit. I have never seen it show the
slightest interest in snails or slugs. Perhaps it depends on the type
of tortoise and whether it is a vegetarian or not.
--
Martin
Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
martin

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:10:44 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Ice cream wafers. Brandy snap baskets. Potato skins.

Chocolate shells, pastry cases ...

coconuts

--
Martin
Old 13-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:45:20 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
"Andy Hunt" wrote in message
news

. . . Easter eggs? Sherbet "flying saucers" . . . ? A prison guard on a
cannibal island?

And don't forget sausage skins and tripe.

Or andouilettes if you fancy a container wrapped up in a container.

Haggis?

Nah. You have to trap those, and the skins aren't eaten, they're turned
into ceremonial headgear for the Scots Guards.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 13-12-2003, 10:16 AM
martin

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:09:04 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Haggis?

Nah. You have to trap those, and the skins aren't eaten, they're turned
into ceremonial headgear for the Scots Guards.

LOL!
--
Martin

Old 13-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Mary Fisher

Haggis?

Nah. You have to trap those, and the skins aren't eaten, they're turned
into ceremonial headgear for the Scots Guards.

I've never had a hairy haggis ... sounds like GM to me.

Mary

Old 13-12-2003, 01:43 PM
martin

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:05:58 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Haggis?

Nah. You have to trap those, and the skins aren't eaten, they're turned
into ceremonial headgear for the Scots Guards.

I've never had a hairy haggis ... sounds like GM to me.

or green mold.
--
Martin
Old 13-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Haggis?

Nah. You have to trap those, and the skins aren't eaten, they're turned
into ceremonial headgear for the Scots Guards.

I've never had a hairy haggis ... sounds like GM to me.

Have you ever bought woolly mutton in the butcher's shop? You have to
trap them yourself if you want the haggis skins as the proper wild ones
are worth an awful lot more than the meat inside.

NALOPKT

Old 13-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Haggis?

Nah. You have to trap those, and the skins aren't eaten, they're

turned
into ceremonial headgear for the Scots Guards.

I've never had a hairy haggis ... sounds like GM to me.

Have you ever bought woolly mutton in the butcher's shop?

No. The only mutton we eat is bred by a daughter. She has the wool.
You have to
trap them yourself if you want the haggis skins as the proper wild ones
are worth an awful lot more than the meat inside.

We harvest our own haggis skin but not by trapping, I thought it was illegal
to trap the haggis..

I think you're confused about haggises. It's very easy ...

Mary

Old 13-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

[...]

Good Lord no! Confused about the haggis? (Some dispute in academe about
the plural - haggi; gaggisi; haggata; haggises; haggista; hagemoni.
Etym. doubtful.)

Indeed, I have studied the Highland haggis and the Lothian haggis since
the mid 'fifties, having become interested while investigating the rare
Lowland haggis, which is not a haggis at all, but in fact a close
relative of the giant puffball, Lycoperdon gigantum.

There are many misapprehensions concerning this cute wee beastie wi' the
sonsie face, and if I can only find a publisher I could sweep them all
away in one enormous tome.

HTH

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Author of 'The Haggis in Fact and Fable'
Publisher eagerly sought.

Old 13-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Mary Fisher

[...]

What I used is among that lot. It seems to me to be the most appropriate -
and I thought about it long and hard.

Indeed, I have studied the Highland haggis and the Lothian haggis since
the mid 'fifties, having become interested while investigating the rare
Lowland haggis, which is not a haggis at all, but in fact a close
relative of the giant puffball, Lycoperdon gigantum.

Oh well!

There are many misapprehensions concerning this cute wee beastie wi' the
sonsie face, and if I can only find a publisher I could sweep them all
away in one enormous tome.

I have a publisher friend, what's it worth?

Mary

HTH

Old 13-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I have a publisher friend, what's it worth?

Hmmmm. Cross ma palm wi' siller?

Signed firrrst aidition perrrrharps?

Old 13-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I have a publisher friend, what's it worth?

Hmmmm. Cross ma palm wi' siller?

No, you don't seem to understand. YOU pay ME ...

Signed firrrst aidition perrrrharps?

Got loads of those.

I used to swap my signature in my books for others'.

There are some books which would be extremely valuable if you could find one
which hasn't been signed but I'm not naming them here.

Mary

Old 14-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I have a publisher friend, what's it worth?

Hmmmm. Cross ma palm wi' siller?

No, you don't seem to understand. YOU pay ME ...

Signed firrrst aidition perrrrharps?

Got loads of those.

I used to swap my signature in my books for others'.

There are some books which would be extremely valuable if you could find one
which hasn't been signed but I'm not naming them here.

Unsinged - er - unsigned first edition then?