Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Pots in the North

The message
from martin contains these words:

and you're only allowed to make jam from
fruit......

says you.

Saus EC.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
martin

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:29:21 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

and you're only allowed to make jam from
fruit......

says you.

Saus EC.

saus-age?

sauce?
--
Martin
Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
jane

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:42:08 +0100, martin wrote:

~On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:20:34 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~
~On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:30:04 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:
~
~snip
~~The latest "urban myth" over here is that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed
~~their name to simply KFC because the meat isn't chicken any more - it's made
~~from brainless, artificially-grown muscle-protein derived from the moving
~~bits of ex-chickens, twitching in the labs as they are artificially
~~stimulated by electrical impulses.
~
~...when they actually changed it because the word 'fried' implied it
~was unhealthy!
~
~In our house we still call it "Kan't Find the Chicken" grin
~
~In our house we don't buy it, so we have no need to look for it :-)

Hey I didn't say we buy any! :-) We're just rude every time we see a
sign...

I think that I've only had it three times in my life. And one of those
was a roadside place in the middle of a snowstorm in the US, and we
just needed to eat *something* in case we got stuck.

It's at least better than a McD... which has absolutely no food in it
whatsoever. I once heard even the Fries are made from reconstituted
corn starch and have never been near a spud in their lives.
Then again we call *them* rat on a stick (with apologies to Terry
Pratchett).

I'm going to go and answer an on-topic thread now :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
martin

~
wrote:
~
~snip
~~The latest "urban myth" over here is that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed
~~their name to simply KFC because the meat isn't chicken any more - it's made
~~from brainless, artificially-grown muscle-protein derived from the moving
~~bits of ex-chickens, twitching in the labs as they are artificially
~~stimulated by electrical impulses.
~
~...when they actually changed it because the word 'fried' implied it
~was unhealthy!
~
~In our house we still call it "Kan't Find the Chicken" grin
~
~In our house we don't buy it, so we have no need to look for it :-)

Hey I didn't say we buy any! :-) We're just rude every time we see a
sign...

In our house we're just rude :-)
Still waiting for a sign.

I think that I've only had it three times in my life. And one of those
was a roadside place in the middle of a snowstorm in the US, and we
just needed to eat *something* in case we got stuck.

I had the KFC experience just once, in Lompoc, California, after that
I understood that KFC was some sort of oil change service. I thought
you had to eat the chicken and throw away the oil, now I understand
better.

It's at least better than a McD... which has absolutely no food in it
whatsoever.

One is supposed to be good for 1500 calories, are you supposed to burn
them in your green house?

I once heard even the Fries are made from reconstituted
corn starch and have never been near a spud in their lives.

Spuds flash fried in the USA ( Nevada test site?) and then refried
locally according to recent reports in teh UK press.

Then again we call *them* rat on a stick (with apologies to Terry
Pratchett).

I'm going to go and answer an on-topic thread now :-)

Can McD play a useful roll in a compost bin?

[Discuss in not more than 200 words]
--
Martin

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
jane

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:16:45 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
~"Andy wrote in message
~ I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm planning on growing some
~veg
~ for the first time next year, but it's going to have to be in pots in my
~ back yard. I live in Bury in the Frozen Northern Wastes (Lancashire), and
~ I'm not really sure which veg would be best a) in pots and b) in the
~North.
~ I was thinking of growing some peas up a trellis, but I'd like to do some
~ root veg too. It's probably a bit cold for tomatoes etc unless I get a
~ lean-to greenhouse. Another thing is, I have a lot of slugs and
~ (particularly) snails. I'm a vegetarian so I can't eat the snails!!! ;-)
~
~
~Thinking what I've seen growing in pots at the RHS Wisley "allotment" I
~think I remember:- Runner Beans, tall Peas, Onions, Shallots, Carrots,
~various Chillies/Peppers, Strawberries, Courgettes, Tomatoes.
~Don't remember seeing any brassicas though, but don't see why not. Parsnips
~should be good in tall pots 'cause that's the way the exhibitors do it.
~Probably anything would do well if cared for enough especially in your
~"walled garden" and despite you being a bit up N. :-)
~
~To keep snails and slugs off your veg put a thick and wide layer of Vaseline
~around/under the rim or each pot making sure it's continuous. They won't
~climb over it.
~
OK here seems like the best place to jump into this thread.

Until I got my allotment I grew marrows/courgettes quite successfully
in growbags. As long as you drown them every day, they do very well. I
grew them as a girl in the Peak District, and they are probably the
main reason I love growing veg today. (That's my excuse and I'm
sticking to it.)

Dad (who still lives there) grows his runner beans in a large pot at
the sunny end of the garden: I think it was one of the Wickes specials
- a fiver for a huge black plastic thing with rope handles. Each year
he fills it with the cheapest compost he can find and gets a great
crop.

I've also grown carrots in a pot (you don't get forked roots if
they're in a sieved peat and John Innes mixture, or even neat JI) and
last year I accidentally grew a huge butternut squash indoors in a pot
(5 fruits). I say accidentally as it was supposed to be temporary
while the frosts finished, but it grew too fast and so stayed potted.
The only reason it didn't move outside was cos it was growing up the
cucumber supports by then...

Spuds are great in a pot. So are shallots, garlic and just about every
other allium. Plant garlic now. I always grow my chillies in pots and
tomatoes in hanging baskets.

Another good organic way of keeping slugs/snails off is by using a
moat. Buy pot saucers which are far too big for the pot base, and
stand the pot on pot feet or stones, well above the saucer edge level.
Fill the saucer with water. Make sure it is kept topped up, which
should happen anyway if you water daily. Also has the advantage of
keeping the pots well-drained.

Good luck

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Andy Hunt

says you.

Saus EC.

saus-age?

sauce?

Ces saucissons ici?

Andrew

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:30:04 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

I believe the US equivalent [of damp sprouts] used to be cooked spinach. Just sitting
there in a gray-green wet mass. They've given up now. The only sign of
veg in school menus is "baby (lathed) carrots with dip' and an
occasional mention of 'steamed brocolli.' After all, a previous
administration declared that catsup was a vegetable...

The latest "urban myth" over here is that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed
their name to simply KFC because the meat isn't chicken any more -

Nope. It's because "fried" became non-PC. Chicken is OK. Kentucky
still going strong.

And of course NASA faked the moon landings

And the pyramids in Egypt are all just styrofoam tourist gadgets.
Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
martin

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:13:05 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

says you.

Saus EC.

saus-age?

sauce?

Ces saucissons ici?

Nay lad it's a real black pudding.

I'll fetch my clogs..
--
Martin

Old 15-12-2003, 04:39 PM
martin

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

and you're only allowed to make jam from
fruit......

says you.

Saus EC.

saus-age?

sauce?

Worst.

worst jam I ever had was ...
--
Martin
Old 15-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Mary Fisher

Just listening to the theme tune from M*A*S*H . . . remember that one?

What
a series. Still seems kind of relevant, somehow. Wow, that Major Margaret
Houlihan . . . ;-)

Ah, Hotlips - brings it all back!

They were never too impressed with the cooking, I seem to
remember!

Well, Vietnamese cooking wasn't fashionable in them days.

Mary

Old 15-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Andy Hunt

wrote:

says you.

Saus EC.

saus-age?

sauce?

Ces saucissons ici?

Nay lad it's a real black pudding.

I'll fetch my clogs..

Eh aye - there's trouble at t' mill, mister . . .

I live a short steam-train journey (East Lancashire Railway) away from a
village called Ramsbottom (from the Old English meaning "field of wild
garlic", believe it or not - at least according to the Bury MBC web site)
which hosts the annual World Black Pudding Throwing Championships. It used
to be in Stubbins, but the (only) pub in Stubbins, where the competition was
held, closed last year due to lack of trade (it was called the "Corner
Pin"). The object of the competition is to knock a Yorkshire pudding off a
platform high up the side of the building. The event attracts around 300
people every year, from all over the world.

I used to enjoy a nice black pudding - always get the ones with the
extra-large gristly bits, they fry up better - before I gave up eating meat.
There's a famous black pudding stall on "Bury's World Famous Market" as it
is modestly signposted throughout the town. Lovely with some fresh tomatoes,
sea salt, and a bit of hot English mustard for the pudding!

Alternatively, you can catch them yourself . . . a distant relative of the
haggis, I believe, but crossed with wild boar and bred in captivity by the
Romans. These days you mostly find them living by disused canals and old
cotton mills, but I wouldn't eat the wild ones. They're a bit tough. They
all carry flick-knives.

Andrew

Old 15-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Andy Hunt

this thread went to pot a long time ago.

Never touch the stuff.

Anyone know a cure for spider mites?

The biological control works well, but needs warmer temperatures.

A friend told me you can buy "predators" for these things . . . but spider
mites are more of a pain than a threat, I think. I've never heard of them
killing a plant. Someone said washing your plant's leaves with soapy water
gets rid of them. Mine got into the house on a bush I brought in from the
garden, the little devils. It must have been a "Trojan Gorse" . . . ;-)

They do say that "right" is better than "mite" in the long run . . .

Andrew
http://www.maf.govt.nz/MAFnet/school...e/grsmtact.htm

Old 15-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Andy Hunt

They were never too impressed with the cooking, I seem to
remember!

Well, Vietnamese cooking wasn't fashionable in them days.

I think it was Korean. Well, it was a good "Korea" move for Alan Alda, in
any case . . .

Just made a nice root veg stew. Nothing like cooking a stew on a cold
winter's evening. 'Specially with a generous dash of Lea & Perrins'.

Andrew
"Sit on a hot stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit next to a
pretty girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -
Albert Einstein