Old 12-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Kay Easton

Default Pots in the North

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Ice cream wafers. Brandy snap baskets. Potato skins.

;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-12-2003, 04:35 PM
martin

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:23:26 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Ice cream wafers. Brandy snap baskets. Potato skins.

stuffed marrows, tomatoes, ...
--
Martin
Old 12-12-2003, 04:36 PM
martin

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:27:11 +0100, martin wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:23:26 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Ice cream wafers. Brandy snap baskets. Potato skins.

stuffed marrows, tomatoes, ...

ISBN 1-85675-089-2

is actually :-

Guerra, Michael
THE EDIBLE CONTAINER GARDEN Fresh food from tiny spaces
Gaia Books, 2000 Grow delicious and decorative vegetables, fruit,
herbs and edible flowers. A balcony will do, or a rooftop, windowsill,
houseboat, or small backyard. 160pp.with colour plates and intext
photographs. A fine large format copy in soft covers
--
Martin
Old 12-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Andy Hunt

. . . Easter eggs? Sherbet "flying saucers" . . . ? A prison guard on a
cannibal island?

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:15:53 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

ones made out of folded rice paper.
--
Martin

Old 12-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

Thanks - a great list. I'm not sure how chillis would do in the climate we
have here in the People's Republic of Bury, it's a bit "humid" much of the
time, although thanks to global warming (?) we had a great summer this year.
Someone said to me that kiwi fruit are hardy enough to grow outdoors up
here, but I'm slightly sceptical I must admit. I always thought they needed
greenhouses, along with oranges and other citrus etc.

Fully hardy, yer Chinese gooseberries. But don't forget you need a male
vine as well as a female to get fruit.

(Very attractive foliage too.)

Will try the vaseline for slugs. Apparently it's also good for treating
those who smoke after sex. (sorry crude joke!)

And I always thought it was vapourising vaseline....

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 12-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:39:27 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

Forgleg wrote:

Radishes are shallow. Peas sound ideal. There are many short varieties
of carrots (I can never bring mine to maturity. I keep thinning and
eating tiny carrots 'til they're all gone.) Fresh greens are lovely to
have. Many loose-leaf lettuces can be harvested a few leaves at a
time. Some cabbag-y greens, too. 'Bush' type beans don't need to be
trellised and are rewarding.

Ah! I didn't realise you could get "bush" type beans . . . they sound like
an excellent idea. Just so long as they don't go declaring war on everything
else in the garden . . . ;-) . . . sorry best to keep politics out of
gardening, isn't it. Some things are sacred, after all.

With the help of a friend, I once put up an elaborate and sturdy frame
for growing 'pole' beans, and didn't read the packet when I planted
bush-type haricot vert at the base. Looked pretty dumb. Although the
beans were fine. It *is* unfortunate that 'bush' landed at the
beginning of a sentence and required a capital letter. No connection
implied.

Lettuces did occur to me, but when I think about it I can hear an army of
slugs and snails licking their chops in my mind . . . cabbages yes, but I
have to go careful with them, I was traumatised with cabbages as a child. A
bit of nice crisp white cabbage fried up with garlic, chilli and potatoes
with a dash of salt certainly warms a winter's evening, though.

Start training those mercenary mice. There aren't too many slugs
(well, even one is too many) in my area, so I can't say for sure, but
I didn't have a problem this summer with basil, sage, tomato, chile,
horseradish, & parsley in pots. They seem to like easy spaces where
they can slime from place to place, not a round-trip pot-climb every
day.

I even manage sprouts occasionally - cooked 'al dente' with butter and black
pepper. I think it's the sort of liquidised school-dinner sprouts that leave
the psychological scars.

I believe the US equivalent used to be cooked spinach. Just sitting
there in a gray-green wet mass. They've given up now. The only sign of
veg in school menus is "baby (lathed) carrots with dip' and an
occasional mention of 'steamed brocolli.' After all, a previous
administration declared that catsup was a vegetable...
Old 12-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Andy wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm planning on growing some

veg
for the first time next year, but it's going to have to be in pots in my
back yard. I live in Bury in the Frozen Northern Wastes (Lancashire),

and
I'm not really sure which veg would be best a) in pots and b) in the

North.
I was thinking of growing some peas up a trellis, but I'd like to do

some
root veg too. It's probably a bit cold for tomatoes etc unless I get a
lean-to greenhouse. Another thing is, I have a lot of slugs and
(particularly) snails. I'm a vegetarian so I can't eat the snails!!! ;-)

Thinking what I've seen growing in pots at the RHS Wisley "allotment" I
think I remember:- Runner Beans, tall Peas, Onions, Shallots, Carrots,
various Chillies/Peppers, Strawberries, Courgettes, Tomatoes.
Don't remember seeing any brassicas though, but don't see why not.

Parsnips
should be good in tall pots 'cause that's the way the exhibitors do it.
Probably anything would do well if cared for enough especially in your
"walled garden" and despite you being a bit up N. :-)

To keep snails and slugs off your veg put a thick and wide layer of

Vaseline
around/under the rim or each pot making sure it's continuous. They won't
climb over it.

Common or garden axle grease is very much cheaper than Vaseline.

Franz

Old 12-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Ice cream wafers. Brandy snap baskets. Potato skins.

;-)

The last of which is the only one which grows in the garden and needs only a
minimum of processing.

{:-))

Franz

Old 12-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message
news
. . . Easter eggs? Sherbet "flying saucers" . . . ? A prison guard on a
cannibal island?

And don't forget sausage skins and tripe.

Or andouilettes if you fancy a container wrapped up in a container.

Franz

Old 12-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Mary Fisher

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "hort-4" contains these words:

slugs and snails

turtles/tortoises eat them (snip) our climate resembles Greece's.

That's irrelevant to UK gardening in general and the OP in particular.

Even the conditions in the south of England can't be compared with those in
Bury or the north in general, I live in Leeds and couldn't be guided by
anyone south of the Bristol Channel.

Also, some people do have tortoises and turtles as pets even up here. I
didn't know they consumed slugs and/or snails so I was interested to read
that.

Mary

Old 12-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Mary Fisher

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Ice cream wafers. Brandy snap baskets. Potato skins.

Chocolate shells, pastry cases ...

Mary

;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 12-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Lettuces did occur to me, but when I think about it I can hear an army of
slugs and snails licking their chops in my mind . . . cabbages yes, but I
have to go careful with them, I was traumatised with cabbages as a child.

bit of nice crisp white cabbage fried up with garlic, chilli and potatoes
with a dash of salt certainly warms a winter's evening, though.

And slugs don't just nibble them, they live inside them.

Mary

Old 12-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

I even manage sprouts occasionally - cooked 'al dente' with butter and black
pepper. I think it's the sort of liquidised school-dinner sprouts that leave
the psychological scars.

Lightly cook some chestnuts and remove from shells, peel off as much of
the skin as possible and cook until they are done, but not falling
apart. Roll in melted butter and add to your sprouts.

Mmmmmm.

Radishes are delicious. Thankyou - what a great suggestion. I'll certainly
give them a 'go'.

You can gro catch-crops of radishes beneath your larger veg as they come
up and mature.

Salsify is good in post, as is horseradish - indeed, it's the best place
for them.

Also, get a plastic drum or dustbin, cut or melt drainage underneath and
put some peat/compost in the bottom, plant three or four sprouting
potatoes and bank them up until they've grown some six inches, then
plant some more, and so-on until the drum is full.

Keep it very well watered and stood in a warm, sunny place, feed with
your favourite spudfood, and you'll have a bin full of easily gathered
potatoes.

While you're at it, get a barrel or dustbin and a hole-saw. (Or use a
keyhole saw) Cut a number of holes in the side of the bin. Get (say)
three feet of plastic drainpipe and block one end - with cement, plastic
tied over the end of it, WHY? - it doesn't have to be a pretty job, and
drill ¼" holes into it all the way round, all the way down, and more of
them at the top than the bottom. Put some peat/compost/soil in the
bottom and up the sides. Put your drainpipe in the middle with the
closed end down. Fill the drum with soil/peat/compost and plant
strawberries in the holes in the side and something (radishes?) in the
top. (I planted alpine strawberries.)

Pour water down the drainpipe to water the system.

Watercress can be grown in damp soil too. It doesn't have to have
running water.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Rice-paper bags, pea-pods, chocolate Easter eggs, and if you're a
woodworm, oak barrels.

HTH