Old 20-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Spider

Default Composting Question

Hi Everyone,

Although I have read composting advice which advocates using 'any material
that was once organic', I always have problems when composting potato
peelings. When I subsequently check on my heap or bins, the potato peel has
sprouted. Breaking off these sprouts does not seem to help - more just take
their place!
I don't have any other problems when composting, and usually produce 'good
stuff' from my various bins. A neighbour of mine, when she heard, said she
would *never* put potato peelings on her heap, so I also stopped.

Nevertheless, this seems an awful waste to me. I want to try and compost
them. Am I doing something wrong? I would really be grateful for any
advice or, indeed, anecdotal tales of others' experiences.

Thanks in anticipation.
Spider

Old 20-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Mike Lyle

Spider wrote:
[...]

No sweat: just eat the resulting potatoes. This shouldn't happen in
the blistering-hot compost heaps some perfect people get going, but
don't worry about it.

Mike.

Old 20-11-2004, 07:23 PM
bnd777

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Strange but i have never had any problem with potato peelings sprouting in
either my worm bins or my compost bins
If the compost bins are correctly managed so you get a good mix and a hot
heap cant see why there should be a problem

Maybe its because i pile in horse manure and bucket loads of night water !!!

Old 20-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Kay

In article , Spider
writes
Hi Everyone,

Although I have read composting advice which advocates using 'any material
that was once organic', I always have problems when composting potato
peelings. When I subsequently check on my heap or bins, the potato peel has
sprouted. Breaking off these sprouts does not seem to help - more just take
their place!

It's not a problem. Eventually the sprouted plants will die (that tiny
scrap of peeling can't sustain a whole plant indefinitely - the shoots
have to get up to daylight and start photosynthesising, and if you're
constantly dumping more waste on top of them, they can't do that) and
will rot down with the rest.

If you do get a plant that makes it through to the surface, then either
pull it up and add it back to the compost, or leave it to the end of the
season and harvest the tiny new potatoes.

I don't have any other problems when composting, and usually produce 'good
stuff' from my various bins. A neighbour of mine, when she heard, said she
would *never* put potato peelings on her heap, so I also stopped.

Usual reason not to is the risk of carrying disease. This has been
discussed recently in urg. I've never worried about it.

--
Kay

Old 20-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Cerumen

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Although I have read composting advice which advocates using 'any

material
that was once organic', I always have problems when composting potato
peelings. When I subsequently check on my heap or bins, the potato peel

has
sprouted. Breaking off these sprouts does not seem to help - more just

take
their place!
I don't have any other problems when composting, and usually produce

'good
stuff' from my various bins. A neighbour of mine, when she heard, said

she
would *never* put potato peelings on her heap, so I also stopped.

Your heap is not getting hot enough, a really well made heap will heat up
enough to kill all spouting peel but that heat is not easy to get if you
only add small amounts of material at a time.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 20-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Spider

Spider wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your advice. I feel a bit happier now. Tonight I shall put my
peelings in a compost bin with a lighter heart.
Spider

Old 21-11-2004, 08:54 AM
June Hughes

In message , Cerumen
writes

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Didn't there used to be some stuff called 'Garotta', which you mixed
with water and poured over the compost heap to assist rotting? Perhaps
they still do it or something similar. Bas just pours hot water on ours
and that does the trick

I have to say I have never had any luck with potato peelings. When we
kept hens and geese (the fox got them one morning) I tried boiling up
the potato skins for feed to no avail.

PS - OT - Hello Chris, I didn't know you posted here.
--
June Hughes
Old 21-11-2004, 09:58 AM
bnd777

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Cerumen
writes

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Night water is every bit as good as Garotta and its free

Old 21-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Cerumen

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Cerumen
Your heap is not getting hot enough, a really well made heap will heat

up
enough to kill all spouting peel but that heat is not easy to get if

you
only add small amounts of material at a time.

Didn't there used to be some stuff called 'Garotta', which you mixed
with water and poured over the compost heap to assist rotting?

There did indeed but chicken, or other manure in straw added to the pile
works just as well, or of course the available to all for free golden
liquid that we normally just flush away.

(OT Hi June, I don't post much here mostly just lurk)
--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 21-11-2004, 01:04 PM
June Hughes

In message , Cerumen
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Cerumen
Your heap is not getting hot enough, a really well made heap will heat

up
enough to kill all spouting peel but that heat is not easy to get if

you
only add small amounts of material at a time.

Didn't there used to be some stuff called 'Garotta', which you mixed
with water and poured over the compost heap to assist rotting?

There did indeed but chicken, or other manure in straw added to the pile
works just as well, or of course the available to all for free golden
liquid that we normally just flush away.

Ah! We had a discussion here around 7 years ago about just that! It
was a very long thread, including a discussion about ladies standing up
to irrigate the compost heap. I can't remember whether or not anyone
said anything about the smell that may or may not result after a few
days.
--
June Hughes

Old 21-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Brian X

Am I naive but what would happen to peelings should you zap them in
micro-wave for 20 secs or so ?

Old 21-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Brian X

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:50:12 -0000, "Brian X"
wrote:

Am I naive but what would happen to peelings should you zap them in
micro-wave for 20 secs or so ?

They would get warm.

--
Martin

Ho, ho Martin you are a wag.

Apart from getting warm in the microwave would it detract from being compost
material ?

Old 21-11-2004, 03:36 PM
bnd777

[...]

Rubbish Jane ........theres no smell at all from a "night watered " compost
heap

Theres simply a lot of heat and steam rising from it on a cold day like
today

Old 21-11-2004, 04:16 PM
June Hughes

In message , bnd777
writes

[...]

I am not Jane, I am June. I didn't say a smell would ensue, I said' I
can't remember whether or not anyone said anything about the smell that
may or may not result after a few days'. That is not the same thing at
all.

--
June Hughes
Old 21-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

There did indeed but chicken, or other manure in straw added to the pile
works just as well, or of course the available to all for free golden
liquid that we normally just flush away.

Ah! We had a discussion here around 7 years ago about just that! It
was a very long thread, including a discussion about ladies standing up
to irrigate the compost heap. I can't remember whether or not anyone
said anything about the smell that may or may not result after a few
days.

There is little when it is added to a well-aerated heap, because the
normal ammoniacal smell comes from when bacteria break urea down
semi-anaerobically.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.