Old 20-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Mike

Default re Sprouts again

We gave a Dinner Party last night and the as we were 'rather late', some of
the pots and dishes were not cleared away into the Dish Washer. Has anyone
seen what happens to a Silver Serving spoon if left in a Tureen of Brussel
Sprouts?

One needs to make haste with the Silver Polish! We were amazed at the mess
if was left in.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 20-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message
We gave a Dinner Party last night and the as we were 'rather late',

some of
the pots and dishes were not cleared away into the Dish Washer. Has

anyone
seen what happens to a Silver Serving spoon if left in a Tureen of

Brussel
Sprouts?

Now that's posh. {:-))

One needs to make haste with the Silver Polish! We were amazed at

the mess
if was left in.

I would venture to say that that was due to sulphur in the sprouts.

Franz

Old 21-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Mike

seen what happens to a Silver Serving spoon if left in a Tureen of
Brussel
Sprouts?

Now that's posh. {:-))

? Posh? I take it you serve your sprouts at the table from a bucket and use
a garden trowel?

Old 22-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:::: seen what happens to a Silver Serving spoon if left in a Tureen
:::: of Brussel Sprouts?
:::
::: Now that's posh. {:-))
::::
::
:: ? Posh? I take it you serve your sprouts at the table from a
:: bucket and use a garden trowel?

Maybe he uses a normal serving bowl and a wooden or stainless steel utensil?

We don't, we put them onto a plate straight from the saucepan, it saves on
the washing up and also losing heat twice, still, if you like cold
vegetables and polishing silver then your way is best.

Old 22-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered User

oooooh, handbags!

Personally, i never use silver polish as i'm a lazy so and so. Instead, put your silver in a bowl/tub filled with hot water, salt and a sheet of tinfoil at the bottom. The tarnish transfers to to the foil and all you have to do is leave it for a while then pluck it out and give it a quick wipe with a cloth - ta da! Very shiny silver and no messy polish sticking in all the cracks.

that's my handy household tip for the day!

bob

Old 22-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Mike

Barracloff has had an erly kristmas present from Santa. A dixonery

Old 22-12-2004, 02:12 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message
Barracloff has had an erly kristmas present from Santa. A dixonery

Now now kiddies, play nice or Santa won't come.

Old 22-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Mike

Now now kiddies, play nice or Santa won't come.

Panic not. As one of the 'Keepers of the Newsgroup', and as one who has
taken a dislike to me, Barraclough quite often takes pop shots at me, but
then in this world, one is bound to find a few who are in the minority, Feel
sorry for her, as you say it is Christmas and we have more Dinner Parties to
attend and organise.

AND Yes the veg will be served in Tureens,

AND Yes there will be a table cloth on the table, and candles and red and
white wine and Oh my God, serviettes!! Dare I say it'

You can please some of the people some of the time
You can please most of the people most of the time
But you cannot please ALL of the people ALL of the time

and judging by the quantity of Christmas Cards I receive, I please most of
the people most of the time :-)) the others have their own problems.

Old 22-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
::: Now now kiddies, play nice or Santa won't come.
:::
:::
::
:: Panic not. As one of the 'Keepers of the Newsgroup', and as one
:: who has taken a dislike to me, Barraclough quite often takes pop
:: shots at me, but then in this world, one is bound to find a few
:: who are in the minority, Feel sorry for her, as you say it is
:: Christmas and we have more Dinner Parties to attend and organise.
::

'Dinner Parties' being the Capital of which country?

:: AND Yes the veg will be served in Tureens,
::
Is 'Tureens' the name of your house?

:: AND Yes there will be a table cloth on the table, and candles and
:: red and white wine and Oh my God, serviettes!! Dare I say it'
::
:: You can please some of the people some of the time
:: You can please most of the people most of the time
:: But you cannot please ALL of the people ALL of the time
::
:: and judging by the quantity of Christmas Cards I receive, I please
:: most of the people most of the time :-)) the others have their own
:: problems.

Christmas Cards? Not Made From The Back Of Kwik Save Cornflake Boxes?

Old 22-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| Now now kiddies, play nice or Santa won't come.
|
| Panic not. As one of the 'Keepers of the Newsgroup', and as one who has
| taken a dislike to me, Barraclough quite often takes pop shots at me, but
| then in this world, one is bound to find a few who are in the minority, Feel
| sorry for her, as you say it is Christmas and we have more Dinner Parties to
| attend and organise.
|
| AND Yes the veg will be served in Tureens,
|
| AND Yes there will be a table cloth on the table, and candles and red and
| white wine and Oh my God, serviettes!! Dare I say it'

No :-)

You should be using table napkins.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Mike

Christmas Cards? Not Made From The Back Of Kwik Save Cornflake Boxes?

Certainly not !!!

Kellogg's Cornflakes maybe ;-)

Kellogg's don't make Cornflakes for anyone else ;-)

Old 22-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Mike

No :-)

You should be using table napkins.

Folded in the form of a Bishop's Mitre perhaps ;-) ?

If I had a £!.00 for every one of those I had folded I would be rather rich
:-)) My parents had an Hotel and every guest table napkin was folded after
every meal in the form of a Bishop's Mitre.

Rather interesting tale revolves around this in Bruges. My wife and I were
VIP Guests at the Annual General Meeting of the International Maritime
Confederation. This was attended by members of the French, German, Italian,
Dutch, Belgian and other European Naval Associations. The banquet was held
in a top Bruges Hotel and we were arranged on circular table of 10, so that
we were well dispersed and the conviviality was spread across the Nations.
(If only the EU were the same). I have always folded my table napkin in the
form of a Bishop's Mitre no matter where I am as a 'conversation piece'.
This really struck home with one at my table, a French lady if I remember
correctly. She wanted to be shown again and when she had mastered it, went
round to other tables showing them!!!

I have a photo somewhere with the Treasurer of the IMC, Henk who is Dutch,
with one of her folded table napkins, in the form a Bishop's Mitre on his
head!!

If only the EU had the same friendship and understanding :-))

Mike

Old 22-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| No :-)
|
| You should be using table napkins.
|
| Folded in the form of a Bishop's Mitre perhaps ;-) ?
|
| If I had a £!.00 for every one of those I had folded I would be rather rich
| :-)) My parents had an Hotel and every guest table napkin was folded after
| every meal in the form of a Bishop's Mitre.

NO!!!!

You may be an excellent waiter, but would fail dismally as a butler.
The conventions are entirely different in hotels and private houses.

Napkins are folded into quarters as squares, again into a triangle,
and are placed on the side-plate to the left of the place setting.

Similarly, no cutlery except possibly dessert implements (by which
I do NOT mean pudding ones) are placed beyond the place setting; all
others are to the side, in use order starting from the outside,
except for the knife used for spreading butter, which is placed on
the inside.

Don't ask me why :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message
seen what happens to a Silver Serving spoon if left in a Tureen

of
Brussel
Sprouts?

Now that's posh. {:-))

? Posh? I take it you serve your sprouts at the table from a bucket

and use
a garden trowel?

Indeed yes, insofar as we don't eat sprouts. We prefer to eat the pig
which ate the sprouts.
{:-)

Franz

Old 22-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Mike

Indeed yes, insofar as we don't eat sprouts. We prefer to eat the pig
which ate the sprouts.
{:-)

Franz

Now you cannot beat a good bit of Crackling with an Apple Sauce :-))

Had that at a Lodge Dinner last month :-)))