Old 03-03-2005, 09:01 PM
McCready

Default Gardeners World

What happened to Chris Beardshaw?

Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:36 PM
andrewpreece

"McCready" wrote in message
k...
What happened to Chris Beardshaw?

Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.

I much rather have Chris back than that strange red-bad-haired woman!

Andy

Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Neil Tonks

I think this clip from his website (www.chrisbeardshaw.com) might give a
clue:

New! Chris launches The Great Garden Challenge. Chris is to present the new
gardening programme on C4 - The Great Garden Challenge. The exciting new
programme will be going out live from Blenheim Palace every afternoon from
March 21st until July and sets out to find the best gardening designers in
Britain.

Neil.

k...

Old 04-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Oxymel of Squill

more bloody daft ideas from telly commissioners

that crappy show with the Irish bloke last year was dreadful, I suppose this
will be of the same ilk

New! Chris launches The Great Garden Challenge. Chris is to present the
new gardening programme on C4 - The Great Garden Challenge. The exciting
new programme will be going out live from Blenheim Palace every afternoon
from March 21st until July and sets out to find the best gardening
designers in Britain.

Neil.

k...

Old 04-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready
What happened to Chris Beardshaw?

Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.

And Sarah Raven wasn't there either... well, at least the dreaded A T hasn't arrived (yet)

jay jay

Old 04-03-2005, 02:03 PM
bigboard

McCready wrote:

What happened to Chris Beardshaw?

Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.

I'm not sure what's happened to him, but the compost heaps looked good.

--
The scum also rises.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-03-2005, 03:14 PM
jane

~
~Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.
~
Poached by the opposition I think, which is fairy snuff since the Beeb
poached Monty off C4... Fair swap to me - now all they have to do is
get rid of all the other pretties and leave just the plantspeople and
stop doing the garden tours in favour of practical stuff and I'll be
happy.

Talking of practical, anyone want to chat about the new-style BBC GW
Magazine? I opened my April one yesterday and was extremely pleasantly
surprised - hugely revamped/expanded 'what to do now' sections, a new
series on allotments covering both traditional style and raised bed
(yippee) and more of it (not visibly all adverts).

I resubbed last summer using the Tesco clubcard cheapie offer (a year
for 8 quid of tokens, so free) and so it's even better value!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 PM
JennyC

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

"McCready" wrote in message
k...
What happened to Chris Beardshaw?

Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.

I much rather have Chris back than that strange red-bad-haired woman!

Andy

Oh !!
I liked her :~)
Jenny

Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

I much rather have Chris back than that strange red-bad-haired woman!

'bad-haired'?
You judge the quality of the gardening advice by the appearance of the
person giving it, do you? Or is that just when it's a woman?

Oh !!
I liked her :~)

Me too. I much prefer a skilled plant enthusiast like Carol Klein to all
those self-conscious, preening meeja personalities.

She seemed to me to be giving sensible advice in a straightforward way
without a lot of unnecessary flannel.
--
Kay

Old 06-03-2005, 06:25 AM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

I much rather have Chris back than that strange red-bad-haired woman!

'bad-haired'?
You judge the quality of the gardening advice by the appearance of the
person giving it, do you? Or is that just when it's a woman?

Oh !!
I liked her :~)

Me too. I much prefer a skilled plant enthusiast like Carol Klein to all
those self-conscious, preening meeja personalities.

She seemed to me to be giving sensible advice in a straightforward way
without a lot of unnecessary flannel.
--
Kay

And I liked her hair colour :~)
Jenny

Old 06-03-2005, 07:52 AM
mich

"jay jay" wrote in message

McCready Wrote:
What happened to Chris Beardshaw?

Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.

And Sarah Raven wasn't there either... well, at least the dreaded A T
hasn't arrived (yet)

I wish the dreaded AT would arrive actually! He is still hard to beat.
This is no comment against Monty Don but most other presenters could take a
tip ftom AT. He speaks clearly and although he has an accent it doesnt get
in the way of his clear received Englsih which is accessible to all of us no
matter where we are viewing.

AT has personality. Monty Don needs to get a bit more forceful, he is being
drowned out by his team. Teams need leaders. Presenters need good
personailites. None of the present bunch ave got - well " presence" ( AT has
it in bucket loads!)

Laisse fairre and democracies do not work well in such situations. I
preferred the " one man style" of the old programming ( even pre AT)
personally.

As for carol klein , she is certainly knowledgeable but her accent gets me
and I am having difficulty tuning into it. I find it " harsh" . I
preferred sarah raven.

OK , so I am picky.
Rant over.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:29 AM
JennyC

"mich" wrote in message

"jay jay" wrote in message

McCready Wrote:
What happened to Chris Beardshaw?

Monty hasn't mentioned why he's disappeared.

And Sarah Raven wasn't there either... well, at least the dreaded A T
hasn't arrived (yet)

I wish the dreaded AT would arrive actually! He is still hard to beat.
This is no comment against Monty Don but most other presenters could take a
tip ftom AT. He speaks clearly and although he has an accent it doesnt get
in the way of his clear received Englsih which is accessible to all of us no
matter where we are viewing.

Each to his own - I hate AT !

AT has personality. Monty Don needs to get a bit more forceful, he is being
drowned out by his team.

Ah but such a sexy voice :~))

Teams need leaders.

Disagree. The mix and match suits me fine

Presenters need good personailites. None of the present bunch ave got - well "

presence" ( AT has it in bucket loads!)

See above :~)

Laisse fairre and democracies do not work well in such situations. I
preferred the " one man style" of the old programming ( even pre AT)
personally.

As for carol klein , she is certainly knowledgeable but her accent gets me
and I am having difficulty tuning into it. I find it " harsh" . I
preferred sarah raven.

She is indeed good. I love her grubby old cloths. She lloks like a proper
gardener and makes me feel quite at home :~)

OK , so I am picky.
Rant over.

Did you notice Racheal whatsits nails ? How can she call herself a gardener with
fangs like that ?

Jenny

Old 06-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Alan Gould

In article , JennyC
writes

Did you notice Racheal whatsits nails ? How can she call herself a gardener
with
fangs like that ?

Rachel de Thame. She has put on a lot of weight since her confinement.
She is more of a gardening presenter than a gardener. Monty Don on the
other hand is a gardener to his fingertips, but he seems to have
problems in putting it over on TV. His weekly articles in the Sunday
Observer are excellent. IMHO the ghost of A.T. haunts G.W.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:55 PM
JennyC

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article , JennyC
writes

Did you notice Racheal whatsits nails ? How can she call herself a gardener
with
fangs like that ?

Rachel de Thame. She has put on a lot of weight since her confinement.
She is more of a gardening presenter than a gardener. Monty Don on the
other hand is a gardener to his fingertips, but he seems to have
problems in putting it over on TV. His weekly articles in the Sunday
Observer are excellent. IMHO the ghost of A.T. haunts G.W.
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

No.......the ghost of Jeff Hamilton :~(
Jenny