Old 14-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Des Higgins
writes

I got to like him from his column in the Observer (I have no idea if it is
still running).

Yes, Monty Don's articles still appear weekly in the Sunday Observer.

I enjoy reading them more than watching 4his GW presentations.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 15-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Des Higgins

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Des Higgins
writes

I got to like him from his column in the Observer (I have no idea if it is
still running).

Yes, Monty Don's articles still appear weekly in the Sunday Observer.

Those articles used to be fantastic. They were very stylish and passionate
when most other gardening columns were about how to kill greenfly on leeks.
I cannot imagine what he can write about after nearly 10 years of it though.

Christopher Lloyd on Saturday morning in the (durty pinko liberal) Guardan
was also fantastic but for completely different reasons.

Old 15-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Des Higgins

wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:08:51 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Des Higgins" wrote

Who do you hate the most?

Janet

Alan T !!!

Me too!
--
Martin

He has a silly manner sometimes but his main problem lately was that we
simply saw too much of him.
Groundforce was great fun for about 8 episodes and attempting to fill Geoff
Hamiltons (claggy clay covered) boots was some feat.

Old 15-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Pam Moore
writes

I hope he's not reading this. We know they do sometimes, as Jenny
will remember from her never-to-be-forgotten appearances on GQT! LOL

Pam in Bristol

What was EXTREMELY annoying was to read garden Answers magazine February
edition to find that the best sites on the internet were
swapaplant.com
yahoo groups seed exchange
realgardneres.co.uk
letsgogardening.co.uk
gardenweb.com
gardenbanter.co.uk
and nary a word about this wonderful newsgroup.
As we only post ORIGINAL messages it might have been nice to get just
one mention

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 15-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Mike

What was EXTREMELY annoying was to read garden Answers magazine February
edition to find that the best sites on the internet were
swapaplant.com
yahoo groups seed exchange
realgardneres.co.uk
letsgogardening.co.uk
gardenweb.com
gardenbanter.co.uk
and nary a word about this wonderful newsgroup.
As we only post ORIGINAL messages it might have been nice to get just
one mention

are all of those sites free from Net Nannies? They may be more welcoming to
strangers and they don't feel that they 'have to belong'

Old 15-03-2005, 11:32 AM
jane

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:34:39 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

~In article , Des Higgins
writes
~
~I got to like him from his column in the Observer (I have no idea if it is
~still running).
~
~Yes, Monty Don's articles still appear weekly in the Sunday Observer.

You can find them by going to
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/
and scrolling down. This week has an article on alpines.
~
~I enjoy reading them more than watching 4his GW presentations.
No fake conversations or cuts to somewhere irrelevant! Just gardening.
I agree.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 15-03-2005, 04:45 PM
JennyC

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Pam Moore
writes

I hope he's not reading this. We know they do sometimes, as Jenny
will remember from her never-to-be-forgotten appearances on GQT! LOL

Pam in Bristol

What was EXTREMELY annoying was to read garden Answers magazine February
edition to find that the best sites on the internet were
swapaplant.com
yahoo groups seed exchange
realgardneres.co.uk
letsgogardening.co.uk
gardenweb.com
gardenbanter.co.uk
and nary a word about this wonderful newsgroup.
As we only post ORIGINAL messages it might have been nice to get just
one mention
Janet

I suppose they are right to the letter of the law 'best sites'

We are not a site :~))
We are free
We are totally non commercial
We are fun :~)

Jenny

Old 15-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Mike

I suppose they are right to the letter of the law 'best sites'

We are not a site :~))
We are free
We are totally non commercial
We are fun :~)
We are net nannied
Jenny

Old 15-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Mike

I don't think we are netnanneid at all
Jenny

Only to the 'n'th degree. Maybe as you are an 'insider' you cannot see it.

Just sit back and watch. Have a look at the 'public' posting of one of the
guardians/owners/net nannies which could have been just as well, if not
better, done by email.

"I" can see it, can't you? The trouble is I am too honest and speak my mind,
many do not like it if they are the ones targeted. This newsgroup has a
wealth of knowledge spread across its contributors, because of this, some,
not too many fortunately, stake their claim to 'ownership'.

Sit back and watch.

Old 16-03-2005, 05:40 AM
goldfinch

"JennyC" wrote in message
That funny, weird, exotic bloke who used to pop up in GW from time to time

with
crazy garden items. Mown mazes, old shop dummies as sculpture. His name

escapes
me.........

Jenny

I think his surname was Hicks, but can't remember his first name.

Marina
E. Sx

Old 16-03-2005, 06:03 AM
JennyC

"goldfinch" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
That funny, weird, exotic bloke who used to pop up in GW from time to time

with
crazy garden items. Mown mazes, old shop dummies as sculpture. His name

escapes
me.........

Jenny

I think his surname was Hicks, but can't remember his first name.
Marina

Ivan Hicks !!
Thanks for jerking my memory:~)
Jenny

Old 16-03-2005, 09:26 AM
newsb

In article , Mike
writes

I don't think we are netnanneid at all
Jenny

[Sorry - I know this *is* off topic for a group discussing gardening and
in future I will just ignore such posts from "Mike".]

Only to the 'n'th degree. Maybe as you are an 'insider' you cannot see it.

Well I'm not an insider and I don't see it. What I do see is you
constantly posting about it which looks like an unbalanced obsession.

Just sit back and watch. Have a look at the 'public' posting of one of the
guardians/owners/net nannies which could have been just as well, if not
better, done by email.

"I" can see it, can't you? The trouble is I am too honest and speak my mind,
many do not like it if they are the ones targeted.

Just because you speak your mind doesn't mean that you speak the truth,
of course. You speak what is your perception of the truth - ad nauseam.

This newsgroup has a
wealth of knowledge spread across its contributors, because of this, some,
not too many fortunately, stake their claim to 'ownership'.

Never seen that.

Sit back and watch.

What - your knee jerk reactions?

--
regards andyw
Old 16-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Des Higgins

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Des Higgins muttered:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Des Higgins
writes

I got to like him from his column in the Observer (I have no idea if it
is
still running).

Yes, Monty Don's articles still appear weekly in the Sunday Observer.

Those articles used to be fantastic. They were very stylish and
passionate
when most other gardening columns were about how to kill greenfly on
leeks.
I cannot imagine what he can write about after nearly 10 years of it
though.

Why the past tense? I suppose the great thing about gardening is that
every
year is different, and there is always something to learn or pass on.

Sorry; that does indeed look odd. It is just that I used to read them when
I lived in England (1995,1996) and have not read them since then. They were
great articles then but I really cannot imagine he can maintain that level
of passion and fun
for all the years since then.

Christopher Lloyd on Saturday morning in the (durty pinko liberal)
Guardan
was also fantastic but for completely different reasons.

Agreed. Great Dixter is one of the 'must see' gardens, my brother worked
there as part of his 'year out' and was inspired.

I would love to see it. I have seen it on TV and in books and it looks
fantastic.

Old 17-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , JennyC
writes

I suppose they are right to the letter of the law 'best sites'

We are not a site :~))
We are free
We are totally non commercial
We are fun :~)

Jenny

We are not just a number .........

However some sites are just taking wadges of our Internet conversations
and regurgitating them as their own contributions which I feel is a bit
off. We are at least ORIGINAL even if we do have the odd fall out.

I know some people have trouble enjoying this newsgroups but I've always
found it in general helpful, fun, intelligent, with just the right
amount of humour and maybe the odd 'argument'

Personally I've have met some very nice people and swapped an awful lot
of plants and seeds via UK rec. I've had invaluable advice and listened
to some really great advice and experience.