Old 10-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Sacha

On 10/3/05 17:50, in article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:48:29 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 10/3/05 17:01, in article
,
" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:03:12 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snip
With the GPS we have (Tom Tom) you can type in a full address (which for
Carol is Glebe Cottage Plants, Pixie Lane, Warkleigh, Umberleigh, Devon,
EX37 9DH 01769 540554) or just a post code, or just a town name. In the
case
of CK's nursery, there are no signs to it at all and as it's only an acre
overall with the garden, it's not some large mass that you see from afar.
AND it's along a track across a field somewhere in a small hamlet, AFAIR,
so
some research on location is a good idea!

On my GPS, a Garmin 12XL, I have to give the longitude and latitude.

or an OS coordinate.

But you didn't say that, originally. ;-)

If I get it right, it will guide to me within +/-5 metres of the
location.

That's on a boat, right? ;-)

It's not particular where it is. At the moment it is at home in a
cupboard.

No travel plans, then? Nonetheless, the one we have, which is designed for
a car, operates as I described earlier.

I know we get a lot of rain in England
but.....

... never rains but it pours?

No, no. We can get the odd mild drizzle. Round here that can last for 6
months - or feel as if it does. Right now, it's so dry that I'm reminded of
some Jersey February droughts, in March!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Jeff

Victoria Clare wrote:

She's growing on me - seems to know her stuff, but what a painful voice
that is to listen to. It's like she's gargled gravel.

Victoria

Not as bad as Gay Search - remember her?
God, her voice was painful!

Just watching Stefan Buczacki at the moment on UK Style Gardens (Stefans
Ultimate Gardens).
Pity we don't see more of him - he really knows his stuff.
I think he had a bust-up with the BBC over Gardner's Question Time a few
years back so they ditched him :-(

Jeff
Old 11-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Des Higgins

"VivienB" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:53:47 GMT, Jeff wrote:

Victoria Clare wrote:

She's growing on me - seems to know her stuff, but what a painful voice
that is to listen to. It's like she's gargled gravel.

Victoria

Not as bad as Gay Search - remember her?
God, her voice was painful!

What a picky lot you are! I am listening to *what* they are telling
me, so I can try to judge whether it is likely to be useful. So long
as they speak clearly, what does the timbre (or whatever it is you
object to) matter? I would much prefer either of these women telling
me something that I can use, to the decorative and pretty-voiced ones
going on about something valueless.

Regards, VivienB

I think it is like a "who was your favourite Doctor Who?" type argument.
We all have fond memories of particular eras and individuals and forget the
bad bits.
Geoff Hamilton was in place just as gardening went into super show business
mode in the mid 1990s and many people remember him as a cross between mother
Theresa and Indiana Jones. I certainly have fond memories of Gardeners
World from dem days but that is a mixture of Geoff's personality (warm,
comforting, knowledgeable) and the fact that I was not super-saturated with
TV garden makeoverology at the time. Everyone since Geoff will look cheap
and nasty, no matter who they are. I certainly do find many garden TV
people irritating but that is partly because the entire genre has become
irritating. Somewhere out there a producer is dreamimg up a
reality-TV-garden-makeover-save-the-children-pop-idol-aid program which will
be hosted by Ant and Dec.

Apart from all that, speaking purely subjectively and persoanally, Gay
search was one of the better presenters and I actually like Monty Don a lot
and Titchmarch is very very good but got over-exposed (as he probably
realises himself). Diarmuid Gavin is a bit of fun; I take great delight in
finding people who dislike him because he does not tell you how many ponds
per square foot of hoof and horn to use as a top dressing in late Spring for
boosting leeks. Rachel de Thame has a clear accent and is very eye-catching
but somehow Diarmuid standing in a huge muddy hole in the ground with three
hairy builders from sligo balancing a 19 tonne brass sphere is more
entertaining to me.

Des Higgins

Old 11-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , VivienB
writes

What a picky lot you are! I am listening to *what* they are telling
me, so I can try to judge whether it is likely to be useful. So long
as they speak clearly, what does the timbre (or whatever it is you
object to) matter? I would much prefer either of these women telling
me something that I can use, to the decorative and pretty-voiced ones
going on about something valueless.

Regards, VivienB

But isn't that the essence of a good communicator? I bet there's loads
of really great gardeners out there but if they deliver the information
n a voice that has about as much enthusiasm and emotion as if they were
reading the telephone directory then the joy of their subject won't be
imparted. However Geoff and Alan and Dan Pearson and others all seem to
actually LOVE gardening whereas Diarmuid of the motorway constructions
and Chris of the 'I can jump over this fence easily' never seem to have
the 'enthusiasm' for the individual plants, just the 'overall effect'

I guess there's two sides to gardening in the media's eyes. The effect
party who just want to have a five foot of blue/wavy to fill a space
like buying three foot of library books and then there's the others who
do look at an effect but actually seem to see the plants and especially
(joy of joys) the actual varieties. I mean to say, they suggest 'a
clematis' to fill a space but then there's ;literally hundreds to choose
from!
Helen Dillon and the RTE programme about 8 years ago was brilliant, they
suggested varieties, some common, some unusual and even had me viewing
with a pen and paper. They didn't generalise for 'effect' but actually
looked at each plant and its performance.

janet
--
Janet
Hedgerows & lawns
Old 11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Des Higgins

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , VivienB
writes

[...]

I am forced to agree with this. Helen Dillon is THE best garden programme
presenter I have ever seen. She is unique.
I did not realise you lot over on the "mainland" got to see that programme.
She is quite a character, apparently, and has a keen sense of humour. I
recall in one programme she pointed out how to remember where to plant a
particular rose variety which had a ladies name. The name escapes me but
let's pretend it was Victoria. She said with a straight face that Victoria
was bad in a bed but good against a wall. She used to write the gardening
column for one of the Irish Sunday newspapers (Sunday Tribune) and these
were collected and published in book form. Some of it is very funny. It is
all passionate and informative.

janet

Old 11-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Stan The Man

Victoria Clare wrote:

She's growing on me - seems to know her stuff, but what a painful voice
that is to listen to. It's like she's gargled gravel.

Victoria

Not as bad as Gay Search - remember her?
God, her voice was painful!

What a picky lot you are! I am listening to *what* they are telling
me, so I can try to judge whether it is likely to be useful. So long
as they speak clearly, what does the timbre (or whatever it is you
object to) matter? I would much prefer either of these women telling
me something that I can use, to the decorative and pretty-voiced ones
going on about something valueless.

It matters to the BBC, and every other programme maker because
gardening programmes aren't Open University courses but
lifestyle/entertainment shows which, while educating some of us will
entertain others who may be less committed gardeners, casual viewers,
etc. So these days, someone who looks and sounds good will get the
presenting job over someone who may be more knowledgeable. Of the two
attributes, voice is more important than looks (I have been known to
sit in a darkened room to enjoy old recordings of Percy Thrower, whose
mellifluous tones will never be surpassed imho).

Here's my ratings - for Looks/Voice/Knowledge - of a selection of
gardening presenters:

Percy Thrower: 2/10/9
Alan Titchmarsh 8/8/8
Geoff Hamilton 8/7/9
Monty Don 7/9/5
Clay Jones 5/9/9
Peter Seabrook 4/5/9
Carol Klein 4/4/9
Chris Beardshaw 9/5/7
Rachel de Thame 9/7/5
Joe Swift 5/6/7
Stefan Buczacki 4/7/8
Kim Wilde 7/6/5
Dan Pearson 4/6/8
Diarmuid Gavin 6/1/4
Sven Wombwell 7/6/6
James Alexander Sinclair 7/8/9
Charlie Dimmock 3/4/5

Now, who have I forgotten...?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Mike

Charlie Dimmock 3/4/5

You rate her Organ Stops as THREE!!!!!!!!!?????????????

:-(((((((((

Old 11-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Sacha

On 11/3/05 15:08, in article , "Stan The
Man" wrote:

snip

Here's my ratings - for Looks/Voice/Knowledge - of a selection of
gardening presenters:

Percy Thrower: 2/10/9
Alan Titchmarsh 8/8/8
Geoff Hamilton 8/7/9
Monty Don 7/9/5
Clay Jones 5/9/9
Peter Seabrook 4/5/9
Carol Klein 4/4/9
Chris Beardshaw 9/5/7
Rachel de Thame 9/7/5
Joe Swift 5/6/7
Stefan Buczacki 4/7/8
Kim Wilde 7/6/5
Dan Pearson 4/6/8
Diarmuid Gavin 6/1/4
Sven Wombwell 7/6/6
James Alexander Sinclair 7/8/9
Charlie Dimmock 3/4/5

Now, who have I forgotten...?

Gay Search. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Mike

Now, who have I forgotten...?

Gay Search. ;-)
--
Sacha

10,10,10

;-))

Old 11-03-2005, 06:02 PM
JennyC

"Stan The Man" wrote

Here's my ratings - for Looks/Voice/Knowledge - of a selection of
gardening presenters:

Percy Thrower: 2/10/9
Alan Titchmarsh 8/8/8
Geoff Hamilton 8/7/9
Monty Don 7/9/5
Clay Jones 5/9/9
Peter Seabrook 4/5/9
Carol Klein 4/4/9
Chris Beardshaw 9/5/7
Rachel de Thame 9/7/5
Joe Swift 5/6/7
Stefan Buczacki 4/7/8
Kim Wilde 7/6/5
Dan Pearson 4/6/8
Diarmuid Gavin 6/1/4
Sven Wombwell 7/6/6
James Alexander Sinclair 7/8/9
Charlie Dimmock 3/4/5

Now, who have I forgotten...?

That funny, weird, exotic bloke who used to pop up in GW from time to time with
crazy garden items. Mown mazes, old shop dummies as sculpture. His name escapes
me.........

Jenny

Old 11-03-2005, 07:34 PM
McCready

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Victoria
Clare writes
"JennyC" wrote in :

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

I much rather have Chris back than that strange red-bad-haired woman!

Andy

Oh !!
I liked her :~)

She's growing on me - seems to know her stuff, but what a painful voice
that is to listen to. It's like she's gargled gravel.

I didn't even notice!

What accent has she got? Is it something I'm used to?
--
Kay

I would like to see some of the Radio 4 Gardeners Question time panel in the
show.
Especially Bob Flowerdew.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Mike
writes

Charlie Dimmock 3/4/5

You rate her Organ Stops as THREE!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Especially when her tee shirt was wringing wet with sweat!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Janet Tweedy

Here's my ratings - for Looks/Voice/Knowledge - of a selection of
gardening presenters:

Percy Thrower: 2/10/9
Alan Titchmarsh 8/8/8
Geoff Hamilton 8/7/9
Monty Don 7/9/5
Clay Jones 5/9/9
Peter Seabrook 4/5/9
Carol Klein 4/4/9
Chris Beardshaw 9/5/7
Rachel de Thame 9/7/5
Joe Swift 5/6/7
Stefan Buczacki 4/7/8
Kim Wilde 7/6/5
Dan Pearson 4/6/8
Diarmuid Gavin 6/1/4
Sven Wombwell 7/6/6
James Alexander Sinclair 7/8/9
Charlie Dimmock 3/4/5

Now, who have I forgotten...?

Gay Search. ;-)

Ally Ward and that scruffy girl who uncovered Lost Gardens etc and also
did some makeover gardens. Can't remember her name, she seemed to wear a
lot of tee shirts.
, oh I know, Anne Marie-Powell

What about Helen Dillon and Anne Swithinbank, also Pippa Greenwood
Matthew Biggs, Sarah raven?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph