Old 18-12-2006, 11:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What will goats not eat? Christmas goats and other presents.

So, back to what goats eat just for a sec...

What veggie peelings can't they eat?

I've just peeled over 20 kgs of every imaginable vegetable to prepare my
veggie bakes that I roast and then freeze ahead of time (26 guests for
Christmas Day - ugh I hate it when it's my turn) and I thought I'd see
if my neighbour would want her five goats to have them. I haven't yet
set up my compost heap and there's such a lot to throw out otherwise.

I'd heard that some animals (such as pet guinea pigs) aren't supposed to
have certain ones. I have mass peelings (3 shopping bags full) of
peelings from potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, cauliflower (stems),
brocolli (stems), capsicums, carrots, beans, zuccini, spinach (stalks)
squash, (I didn't put the onion, spring onion or garlic peels in there
coz I'd heard that onions can be toxic to some animals, but goats, I dunno.)

I just thought I wouldn't mind knowing whether they shouldn't have them
before asking if her goats want 'em.

Old 18-12-2006, 10:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno writes:
Well a varied diet is supposed to be good for you.
I wonder what guinea pigs taste like?

Taste like chicken.
Old 18-12-2006, 11:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Tonto_Goldstein" wrote in message

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:

The world is just one big supermarket if youre a goat
Especially if they shop at Baa-Lo.

(sorry, I know, that's sheep. oh well.)
Nice Try!
Goats shop in MEEEHHEHElbourne!

The only place that will still have them?

Lions.

Goats don't eat 'em.

Of course, then you have a lion.

But Lions don't eat shoes. Or roses. The dog, maybe, and Grandma, but your
garden will be safe.

Old 18-12-2006, 11:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:

The world is just one big supermarket if youre a goat
Especially if they shop at Baa-Lo.

(sorry, I know, that's sheep. oh well.)
Nice Try!
Goats shop in MEEEHHEHElbourne!
The only place that will still have them?
O yes, were fast becoming an islamic capitol.

Really? So mum and her goats would fit right in then...she'd love it.
She loves middle eastern people, I think she travelled a lot there when
she was young. When you still could travel there.

You don't have to today. They're visiting us instead.
Just goes to show, show em a post card and they're hooked. After all we
have more camels than they do, and goats and probably everything else
too.

Psst, you want see some feeeelthy postcard?

I have some with goat.

Nooo, I'm not a goat man...do you have anytheeeng with camel?

Old 19-12-2006, 12:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
Nope, they should gobble down the lot. AFAIK onions are out, but everything
else should be fine. They're smart enough not to eat the onions (usually)

Thank you!

Old 19-12-2006, 01:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda H" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Nope, they should gobble down the lot. AFAIK onions are out, but
everything else should be fine. They're smart enough not to eat the
onions (usually)

Thank you!

Lol no worries Not even mum's chooks eat the onion peels, weird.

Old 19-12-2006, 02:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda H wrote:
[...]

Dunno but suggest the goats will know.
Old 19-12-2006, 02:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
Linda H wrote:
[...]

Show em the menu of course....
Old 19-12-2006, 09:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Linda H wrote:

I'd heard that some animals (such as pet guinea pigs) aren't supposed to
have certain ones.

They don't eat raw potato peelings, and you shouldn't offer them anything
poisonous like rhubarb leaves, but apart from that the only thing I can think
of is a guinea pig we had who died horribly of bloat after eating grapes. He
was a greedy aggro boar and kept them for himself, I think.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old 19-12-2006, 11:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Linda H wrote:

I'd heard that some animals (such as pet guinea pigs) aren't supposed to
have certain ones.

They don't eat raw potato peelings, and you shouldn't offer them anything
poisonous like rhubarb leaves, but apart from that the only thing I can think
of is a guinea pig we had who died horribly of bloat after eating grapes. He
was a greedy aggro boar and kept them for himself, I think.

Ah yes, the fact is greedy pigs will get their just rewards.
Old 19-12-2006, 11:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
"Linda H" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Nope, they should gobble down the lot. AFAIK onions are out, but
everything else should be fine. They're smart enough not to eat the
onions (usually)

Thank you!

Lol no worries Not even mum's chooks eat the onion peels, weird.

It makes their eyes water.
Old 19-12-2006, 11:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Linda H" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Nope, they should gobble down the lot. AFAIK onions are out, but
everything else should be fine. They're smart enough not to eat the
onions (usually)

Thank you!

Lol no worries Not even mum's chooks eat the onion peels, weird.

It makes their eyes water.

Ah, finally an explanation!

Old 19-12-2006, 11:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Linda H" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Nope, they should gobble down the lot. AFAIK onions are out, but
everything else should be fine. They're smart enough not to eat the
onions (usually)
Thank you!
Lol no worries Not even mum's chooks eat the onion peels, weird.

It makes their eyes water.

Ah, finally an explanation!

I wondered why anyone would need an explanation. With eyes on both sides
of your face you would hafta be crazy to want to cry, when obviously not
designed not to do so.
Old 19-12-2006, 11:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Linda H" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Nope, they should gobble down the lot. AFAIK onions are out, but
everything else should be fine. They're smart enough not to eat the
onions (usually)
Thank you!
Lol no worries Not even mum's chooks eat the onion peels, weird.
It makes their eyes water.
Ah, finally an explanation!

I wondered why anyone would need an explanation. With eyes on both sides
of your face you would hafta be crazy to want to cry, when obviously not
designed not to do so.

How do they cry? I've never seen a crying chicken, although chickens do
hiccup according to the Wiggles.

You have to believe me. They cant, so its a conflict of interest. They
dont know how, so they end up a nervous wreck. Anyway were all about
goats, which would be a great name for a new franchise.

To eat or not to eat (:-) Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 1 30-10-2012 10:42 PM
What will goats not eat? Jonno Australia 2 04-12-2006 12:41 AM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 10-04-2003 07:32 PM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 25-02-2003 05:53 AM