Old 09-01-2007, 01:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Air conditioners

sure does jim,

so why are some wasting it to cool the air down?

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:07:16 GMT, "SG1" wrote:

but anyway lets waste good drinking water cooling someone down.

Heavily snipped

Len the water you drink cools you down aka sweat
Jim
TFIC

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 09-01-2007, 02:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
sure does jim,

so why are some wasting it to cool the air down?

I don't know about you len, but I can't work or sleep if I am
too hot. We have aircon in my office, so fortunately I get
some work done. We don't have aircon at home, and I
lose a lot of sleep with a direct affect on my productivity
and health. If I could afford it I would install aircon.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day bruce,

first up we as a society need to get a grasp that the homes we live in
are not suited to our climate, they ahve no endearing features that
make them work for us free of charge once built.

so when we got the opportunity we built a home along efficiency lines
and we needed no fans or a/c's or heating not a bad start hey?

now we have moved back to the 'burbs we looked for homes that where on
the right aspects nad orianted somewhat right so this home needs no
heating and on these muggy days needs fans, it would never need a/c.

that is where we get our comfort, so now all we have to do now is add
some passive cooling and the fans may not be needed ever.

but yes i am human like everyone else i need sleep and i need comfort
to do it in but then we take the time to find out what is needed to
work then go look for it. and at 60 something i may need a little more
comfort than when i was younger and healthier.

it takes an open mind to think outside the square, and some commitment
to the big picture to test the comfort zone envelope.

"life is about making choices" i think that is the saying.

there are alternatives to be found.

snipped

Old 09-01-2007, 06:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
first up we as a society need to get a grasp that the homes we live in
are not suited to our climate, they ahve no endearing features that
make them work for us free of charge once built.

Hi Len,

passive solar design can go a long way towards alleviating the problem,
if you have the right climate. For instance in the sw of WA where my
father lives, summer days are stinking hot (over 40deg) but nights
are cool right through summer. A really good passive design would
incorporate thermal mass to smooth the temperature variations, but
even a tin shed will be comfortable at night in the summer because it
cools off quickly.

Here in Perth a good passive design will work for most of the year.
No design is going to be effective during a heatwave though - if the
overnight temperature is 30deg then no design is going to get the
temperature below 30deg. Depending on how you use the building
you might decide to just suffer through the 4 or 5 weeks of sleepless
nights. If I had to work from home though, that would mean 4 or
5 weeks of no income, since I can't work if it is hot. Maybe I should
just plan my vacation for this period and go somewhere cool :-)

Of course, it is no good talking about how good our houses would
be if they were completely different, we have to live with the houses
we have. Even if every builder were to start building fabulously
designed passive solar houses today that would have no effect on
the vast majority of us who don't get to live in new houses.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Spot on. When I asked for my landlord to paint our roof white, he laughed
and yet it was energy efficient, but wasnt widely acceptable (I knew that)
yet used in other countries. Look a Coober Pedy, all live underground.Cool
houses, and less waste of resources. I wish I had the thousands to start a
trend, all houses would be underground, all gardens would be overhead and
all idiots opposing this would be underground. I wish.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day jonno,

yes coober pedy is a very good example of thinking outside the square,
though the thinking was forced on the inhabitants by very extreme
conditions, unfortunatly for the vast majority we mask conditions with
resource wastefull modifications, because it is the easy way out.

snipped

Old 09-01-2007, 01:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Spot on. When I asked for my landlord to paint our roof white, he laughed
and yet it was energy efficient, but wasnt widely acceptable (I knew that)
yet used in other countries. Look a Coober Pedy, all live underground.Cool
houses, and less waste of resources. I wish I had the thousands to start a
trend, all houses would be underground, all gardens would be overhead and
all idiots opposing this would be underground. I wish.

my dh is digging an outdoor, underground cellar. according to the theory, it
will be 17 degrees inside all year round. (bruce might come & sleep in
it..!)

because it is supposed to double as a bushfire (etc) shelter, i have
volunteered to do the stone walling, lest we all be killed.
he's good at digging holes though, bless.
kylie

Old 09-01-2007, 08:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Spot on. When I asked for my landlord to paint our roof white, he laughed
and yet it was energy efficient, but wasnt widely acceptable (I knew that)
yet used in other countries. Look a Coober Pedy, all live underground.Cool
houses, and less waste of resources. I wish I had the thousands to start a
trend, all houses would be underground, all gardens would be overhead and
all idiots opposing this would be underground. I wish.

my dh is digging an outdoor, underground cellar. according to the theory, it
will be 17 degrees inside all year round. (bruce might come & sleep in
it..!)

because it is supposed to double as a bushfire (etc) shelter, i have
volunteered to do the stone walling, lest we all be killed.
he's good at digging holes though, bless.
kylie

Yeah, theres a lot to be said for underground housing, but they lack
views and can be claustrophobic. It depends on what youre used to I guess...
Sound proof as well. Problems with drainage if not properly done of
course. Constant temperature etc...
Old 09-01-2007, 09:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day jonno,

claustrophobic very possible for me a good possiblity but have never
tried it yet, have done tours in those limestone caves near rocky that
got quite tight and closed in but all ok, these specially designed
underground homes have roominess about them.

and i would give up a view just to be naturally comfortable and not
spening huge amounts of limited resources getting that way.

a view is just another one of those unsustainable bad habits we have
been indoctrinated into believing we need, but when you look at the
'burbs where we nearly all live what views are there?

snipped

Old 09-01-2007, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...

Of course, it is no good talking about how good our houses would
be if they were completely different, we have to live with the houses
we have. Even if every builder were to start building fabulously
designed passive solar houses today that would have no effect on
the vast majority of us who don't get to live in new houses.

And now a higher proportion of new homes are built at medium or high
densities where the scope for incorporating passive design, while definitely
possible, is more limited than it is with detached housing. Back in 2000
something like almost half of all new housing construction in Melbourne was
medium density or higher.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

Claude wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Of course, it is no good talking about how good our houses would
be if they were completely different, we have to live with the houses
we have. Even if every builder were to start building fabulously
designed passive solar houses today that would have no effect on
the vast majority of us who don't get to live in new houses.

And now a higher proportion of new homes are built at medium or high
densities where the scope for incorporating passive design, while definitely
possible, is more limited than it is with detached housing. Back in 2000
something like almost half of all new housing construction in Melbourne was
medium density or higher.

YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHY CELL BLOCKS ARE SO POPULAR (Grin!)
High density people for high density housing.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Jonno" wrote:

Look a Coober Pedy, all live underground.Cool
houses, and less waste of resources. I wish I had the thousands to start a
trend, all houses would be underground, all gardens would be overhead and
all idiots opposing this would be underground. I wish.

LOL, we'd have a little problem with the water table if we tried to move
underground! We are on low-lying ground close to a couple of creeks that
drain into the Parramatta River.

Our DA to extend has just been approved. We are retrofitting our house to
improve winter solar access and summer ventilation, as well as improving
internal space, acess to back yard, etc. Our architect has said that we
aren't getting a lot of extra internal space for our renovation dollar. Um,
yeah. That's the point.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 13-01-2007, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen writes:
not long ago i opend a g-mail account it
was only known to me and one other person i was associated with on a
friendly basis, the spam that came into that inbox was astranomical,

The possibilities a (i) that gmail was selling your address, and/or
(ii) the HOST SITE (e.g., hotmail) of your correspondent was harvesting
addresses off email and selling them to advertisers, or (iii) that some
spambot was randomly guessing at permutations of likely addresses on gmail.

Unless you can examine BOTH ends of every email link for address harvesting
you really can't say where the blame lies. That's what allows spammers and
colluding email hosts to get away with it to the extent they do.
Old 13-01-2007, 06:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

thanks john,

i got no idea about that side of the business, just it seemed weird
that a new unpublished e/m addy drew so much spam/junk.

i don't get anywhere near that amount in my published long standing
accounts, and the othe person was using g.mail as well.

snipped

Old 13-01-2007, 10:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
thanks john,

i got no idea about that side of the business, just it seemed weird
that a new unpublished e/m addy drew so much spam/junk.

i don't get anywhere near that amount in my published long standing
accounts, and the othe person was using g.mail as well.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:57:50 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

That was a while ago though, with the spam filters being used by my
service rpovider (optusnet) and having it turned on (this helps) I have
cut it back.
I could be going where wise men fear to tread in as much that I work
with computers and am trying to attract spam so I can learn to stop it.
(grin!)

My spam has dropped to zilch (Come and get me spammers Im a waitin fur
ya(he he he! ))