Old 01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Mugo Pine

The oldest needles on many pines turn brown at this time of year. Is
this what your tree is experiencing?

I wouldn't worry about some of the lower growth expanding, even though
it's late. If they don't harden before the cold gets them you will get
lower budding with mugo's on last years growth next spring.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Old 01-10-2003, 09:02 PM
EESiFlo , North America

Kev

Thanks for your help with my mugo problem.

I can't speak for Randi, but mine thinks it's spring !!
New growth is sprouting all over, with the older needles turning brown.
Late last week pollen was floating everywhere!!

I plan on keeping this tree in an unheated garage during the winter so it
should go dormant.

Any other suggestions ??

Mark Hill
Harrisburg, PA
Zone 6a

Old 02-10-2003, 01:03 AM
randi sharp

Thanks for the hopeful email Kevin. The more I've started looking into the various horticulture sites I'm becoming very concerned that what my tree is infected with Diplodia fungus. The tree was lush and green until mid-September then started with browning
needles and now the tips seems to be dying back but with back budding up and down the browning branches. I've read Copper is a good fungicide but from what I've read I'm afraid its a loosing battle. Odd thing is that the mugo's in bonsai soil seem unaffec
ted and very healthy. This one, in the nursery pot, is the only one that seems to be struggling....needless to say...also my favorite mugo ;-(

Randi Sharp
Richmond VA ....

Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Jim Lewis

Odd thing is that the mugo's in bonsai soil seem unaffected and
very healthy. This one, in the nursery pot, is the only one that
seems to be struggling....needless to say...also my favorite mugo
;-(

I don't find "diplodia fungus' anywhere, but I'd bet that
drainage is the key. The bonsai soil drains, the nursery soil
doesn't and since the nursery soil would be a LOT more organic,
there's fertile ground (so to speak) for fungi to get started.

If the tree is truly going downhill, you might try an emergency
repot.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Hi Randi- Messages to you are bouncing, so I'll quote my offlist reply onlist:

Lots of things can cause banding of needles, including ozone damage. Did you have an ozone danger period a few weeks ago?

Your tree could have a needle blight fungus (there are several others that cause similar symptoms), but it's a little late for symptoms to be showing up: banding usually appears in late spring. If it is a fungus, you shouldn't worry much; needle blight is
a very minor disease. You should remove dropped needles from the pot, and that will disrupt the life-cycle. Unless you have the bonsai near other pine trees that have the disease. In that case, ask Cooperative extension to recommend a protectant fungicide,
and to tell you exactly at what time in spring to spray. If that webpage you quoted is for your state, then you're fine, but if it isn't, you need to get recommendations for VA.

If it's not a needle blight fungus, it could be something more serious. like a root problem that's affecting transpiration. You shouldn't have a rootbound tree! For shame! Next spring repot and check the roots.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Mugo Pine Ethan Smith Bonsai 3 08-06-2005 08:17 PM
[IBC] Mugo Pine [email protected] Bonsai 4 19-04-2005 01:38 PM
[IBC] [Fwd: [IBC] Mugo Pine] Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 02-10-2003 01:22 AM
Mugo Pine Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 04-05-2003 05:20 AM
Mugo Pine Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 26-03-2003 07:33 PM