Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Sean Nemecek

Default [IBC] Odd distinctions

Andy,
snip
The problem arises when the student begins to understand the theory and
then thinks they've learned something - and wants to move on to something
else.
snip

I couldn't agree more.

snip
I take issue with the idea that theory and practice are two different ways
to learn. They're not.
snip

I agree.

snip
They're two parts of process and the practice is the most important, by
far.
snip

Yes they are two parts of the process. However, one cannot be elevated
above another. Many people who are principle oriented learners, need to
have the theory in order to be able to do the practice. For them theory is
more important. However, it is incomplete without practice.

For some people practice is all important and theory is confusing. They tend
to learn better by doing.

All I am trying to say is that a broad based approach will speak to the most
people. Providing theory will allow principle centered learners to enter
into the practices of Bonsai more readily. Others will jump right in and
ignore the theory (but unknowingly learn some of it in the process).

Your analysis is insightful. Practice is where everything comes together.
But some people will never really get to that part without the theory. We
are all made a little differently. In my opinion this is something to
celebrate!

Humbly,
Sean Nemecek

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Odd success Andy Rutledge Bonsai 3 02-05-2003 03:08 PM
Odd small holes in lawn Marcesent Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Telegraph : Odd ball letter starts maths puzzle mania Tarzan United Kingdom 3 09-02-2003 09:19 AM
OT & a little odd, but perhaps you chaps can help me Simon K United Kingdom 9 27-12-2002 12:58 AM
OT, slightly odd but very genuine plea for help Paul Meech United Kingdom 6 30-11-2002 08:48 PM