Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] Mica Pots

Also, the subtle aesthetic quality that an excellent
bonsai pot can convey as part of a bonsai display is prized for obvious
reasons.

-----------

Another vote for the ceramic as desirable is the close relationship
between the mediums of tree and pot. Probably we consider a ceramic pot
made of clay as pretty fundamental in the medium used. Mica, as all
mediums, is from nature, too, but not as closely a natural ground of the
tree. I always prefer it on that basis, but I couldn't hope to handle some
of my trees without the lighter weight of mica and I am happy to have them.

Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
Zone 7-8

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Ireneu Castillo

I agree with all you say, Marty. Ceramic pot adds value to a good bonsais.

But nobody answers my question: Mica pots can overheat the roots in a hot summer?
This characteristic could be important in a warm climate like Mediterranean or
Californian.

-Ireneu-

Old 26-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Hello to All,
General Response,

been growing a Tamarind and a Gmelina in black
mica pots and these trees require full sun.Thus
far no problems with roots and overheating.

Growth remains even and trees are green.
Stay Well All.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

*Perhaps the plastic type look of the mica pot
is what cheapens it,whereas stoneware has a
surface that is seductively touchable and mates
so well with tree/trunk textures/colours.

I agree with all you say, Marty. Ceramic pot adds value to a good bonsais.

But nobody answers my question: Mica pots can overheat the roots in a hot

summer?
This characteristic could be important in a warm climate like Mediterranean

or
Californian.

-Ireneu-

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 1/26/2004 4:44:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

But nobody answers my question: Mica pots can overheat the roots in a hot
summer?

I don't think so. The mica pots I have seen are fairly thick.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 26-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Carl L Rosner

I believe Jim Lewis said to keep them in the shade.... and I mentioned
that you could put reflective material on the pot, such as aluminum foil
(shiny side out).

Carl L. Rosner

Old 27-01-2004, 01:13 AM
kevin bailey

Over here in the UK, very acceptable Chinese pots are now cheaper than
mica pots.

I'm looking into a club order of a container load from China.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Snip

"mica pots are really one step DOWN from a pretty good
Chinese bonsai pot."

---

Old 27-01-2004, 01:17 AM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

I use mica pots for training, as one step up from a wooden box.

Oh, come now!

Mica pots are SEVERAL steps up from a wooden box.

One step up would be a terra cotta pot.

Two steps up would be a bulb pot.

Three steps up would be a plain old plastic bonsai pot.

Four steps up would be a cracked bonsai pot.

and then, five steps up would be a mica pot.

Others may have a few in-betweens, and others may change the
order, but mica pots are really one step DOWN from a pretty good
Chinese bonsai pot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Jim, I think you misunderstood me. I was not saying that in the grand scheme of
things, mica pots are one step up from a wooden box. What I said was that for me,
personally, in MY bonsai garden, in MY personal bonsai practice, etc. mica pots
are the next step from wooden boxes. You wouldn't have any way of knowing this,
but I have a lot of trees in wooden boxes. Some more in kitty litter pans or the
equivalent, nursery pots, etc. A number in less expensive Chinese ceramic pots.
Nothing in real high-quality ceramic pots (Tokonome level).

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 27-01-2004, 01:32 PM
alicia-dr-hankins

it sound like another case of traditional vs. contemporary...
as with anything...
smiles,
alicia
diplaced to zone 9, LA
waiting to get back to Hawaii...
From: "Mark Hill"
Hi all...
Here's a question to prolong this thread ..... Why are mica pots not
preferred show containers?

snip
Is it simply because ceramic pots cost much more, therefore they must be
better ?
Sounds a bit snooty to me !!
Mark Hill

-------------------------------

I'll bite. Yes, it's snooty - for the same reason that diamonds are

coveted
over cubic zirconia, though from most views, the CZ looks beautiful and
dazzling. The reason is twofold (at least):

1) This is an art. The art of bonsai display is one that touts quality

and,
in many cases, is concerned with ties to the artistry of long ago (antique
chinese pots for high quality bonsai in an exhibit) or of today (great
modern potters). Also, the subtle aesthetic quality that an excellent
bonsai pot can convey as part of a bonsai display is prized for obvious
reasons.

2) We're human. When dealing with artistry - an admittedly snooty

endeavor
(and define "snooty" at your peril) - the specific quality of the elements
involved has an impact on the viewer (from small to enormous) AND the
exhibitor. Humans generally enjoy exhibiting and viewing rare quality and
great craftsmanship more than we enjoy exhibiting and viewing "plastic"
make-do elements. Often, what we know about an objet d'art impacts our
enjoyment.

So sure, recognize that bonsai artistry has snooty elements. Every art

does
and for simple reasons. However, thinking that to be a negative is just
silly, and deriding bonsai for its elements of snootiness does the art and
enthusiasts no good. It's just part of this endeavor. Care about it or
not, but criticize it makes us look silly.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com/palaver/main.htm
zone 8, Texas

****

Old 27-01-2004, 01:32 PM
alicia-dr-hankins

maybe they used ceramic in the past...
because they couldn't make mica ones...
hahahah
after all, prior to ceramic, was porcelain...
and prior to porcelain...was ...what...
bone?

smiles,
alicia
Old 27-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Marty Haber

Thank you for mentioning cracked bonsai pots in the #5 slot. I have a few
of them. To patch them, I use Bondo
(the auto repair product), which makes good contact and is water-proof.
Marty
P.S. I'm going to Florida next month. Any suggestions for a quiet spot
where we can get away from the maddening throng?
Marty

Old 27-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Pedro A.Pereira

Greetings...

Is it simply because ceramic pots cost much more, therefore

they must be better?

I think that what we must see here it's that ceramic pots are traditional
and mica pots are something very new and useful.

Mica pots are done with a machine that makes about 5 each minute and a
"machine" that builds a ceramic pot will build one each 2 or 3 minutes!
Traditional ones are build by hand and take at least 15min each. So, it's a
matter of economy.

Other thing, nowadays everything that's plastic (kind of J ) it's supposed
to be less expensive, we got used to this. If Mica pots were has expensive
has ceramic ones, I think they wouldn't sell at all!

Mica pots can overheat the roots in a hot summer?

Yes. I am in Portugal (Europe). Mica pots get very hot in the summer. Over
here we have 2 colors, black and light grey. Both of them get very hot at
direct sun.

In the summer the best is to place the tree in a shadowed place, in winter
it's an advantage to be in the sun because it keeps the roots less stressed
to extreme cold!

Pedro Amorim Pereira _ Porto - Portugal

http://amorimpereira.no.sapo.pt
http://sapp.telepac.pt/bonsai-pt/